Continuing On - The Next 30

brittanyxo

6 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

For the lovely ladies who have chosen to continue on with their Whole 30 (60? 90? 120?) Journeys!

Mine started April 24, 2017, and will go for 120 days til August 21st.

@EKuhl @aussiegal @Potion One ... Let's do this!

Anyone else who is continuing their journey, no matter where you're at, please join!

Hi Britanny, thanks for starting this up! You're a gem!  

I'm now on DAY ONE of Whole30 TWO.     Like you I have the 120 in mind but I'm saying this softly to myself  so I don't scare me  :ph34r:- so atm I'll focus on whole60!  This is about life changes.  Big stuff for sure.

So come on  @EKuhl, @Potion Oneand @ncimi - we got this!!

And I'll second Brittany - anyone else interested please join.  The more the merrier cos we can support and learn from each other. :)

On 5/23/2017 at 0:54 PM, brittanyxo said:

For the lovely ladies who have chosen to continue on with their Whole 30 (60? 90? 120?) Journeys!

Mine started April 24, 2017, and will go for 120 days til August 21st.

@EKuhl @aussiegal @Potion One ... Let's do this!

Anyone else who is continuing their journey, no matter where you're at, please join!

Hello ladies!!

Okay it's Day 32 for me (Day 2 of round 2). I have gone straight through, as I will until Day 120 (no "night off" on Day 30 I guess you could say, although I really wanted to).

In my personal Whole 30 log I posted my recap on Round 1. I "only" lost 5 lbs this month. I chalk it up to lack of physical activity. My other 3 Whole 30's were done while I worked a warehouse job and I was on my feet for most of my 40 hours in the week. This Whole 30, I'm at a desk job. So my next 30 (Days 31-60), I have found a 30 day total-body workout plan. I will be going to the gym 5 days a week on my way home from work. I'll see how this reflects on my energy, appetite, and overall results.

You guys can follow my day-to-day posts if you'd like: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/44208-the-second-30-on-my-way-to-120/#comment-451599

Hope everyone's off to a great start!! Anyone trying any new recipes/variations/activities? I think it will be good to switch things up a bit this round.

14 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

In my personal Whole 30 log I posted my recap on Round 1. I "only" lost 5 lbs this month. I chalk it up to lack of physical activity. My other 3 Whole 30's were done while I worked a warehouse job and I was on my feet for most of my 40 hours in the week. This Whole 30, I'm at a desk job. So my next 30 (Days 31-60), I have found a 30 day total-body workout plan. I will be going to the gym 5 days a week on my way home from work. I'll see how this reflects on my energy, appetite, and overall results.

Hi all and Brittany congrats on doing so well!  Your NSV's are really great!   

I have decided I need to exercise to but have done the gym thing a gazillion times - go for about 3 sessions and quit (after paying $$$)so this time I'm just going to walk 30 mins a day.  I'm doing a 21 day challenge  :) starting tomorrow (sat 27th) where I will walk for 30 mins 21 days straight. No excuses. I have to do this cos I feel like a lump and need to move my tush.  Learning from the W30 I'm not just wanting the weight loss (which I do!) but I'm looking for the NSV's of more energy, more confidence, more self esteem. 

I'm on day 3 of the second W30 and am feeling a little over the cooking.  In the interests of sharing I drastically edited a complicated fish pattie recipe down to:

440g of canned salmon (drained),

2eggs,  

1/4 cup almond meal,  

I cup of mashed sweet potato, ( I mike it and mash) 

4 shallots finely chopped and salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all up in a bowl.   Ghee up the frypan, form into patties and fry gently on both sides.  I've also whacked them in a hot  oven 200C when roasting veg and done a batch that way.   It's simple and easy.  Nice cold with fresh tomato and mayo on top. 

Anyone else got any super simple go to recipes??  The cookbooks are great but some of the recipes seem to call for an eye of newt and leg of frog....  atm I just want simple, easy, quick...did i say simple?

@aussiegal ... Thanks!

Honestly, recipe wise, I'll pick a couple nights where I have more time to prep... otherwise I have about 5 or 6 different seasonings (Flavor God) that I switch up on chicken, which I just bake in the oven (I lie down tin foil so I don't have to clean either, haha). Which I can cook at the same time as roasted veggies (same thing, pan w foil for no mess) I love when veggies get a little crispy.  I go for roasted potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, carrots... Or you can cook stove top with a little Ghee: green beans, asparagus, etc.

Chicken's one of the best proteins for you, and I use Frank's hot sauce on a lot of my meals. Maybe find a hot sauce or compliant sauce you like that you can use from time to time to switch up a basic meal.

I know saying 'find a meal you can put up with and make it all the time' sounds boring... but if you can do it, do it. On at least 3 out 5 days of my work week, minimal prep and throwing everything in the oven is all I've got patience for... but it works! (For me anyways).

Also, some of the one pot meals (chicken broccoli chowder, curried carrot/sweet potato soup, chili, etc), can be made in bulk on a weekend and frozen for like, 4-6 months. I make a huge soup pot full when I make those recipes, and it's go-to meals for days or weeks! Just double up the recipe.

No one is going to judge you for not getting fancy or complicated with all your meals .... I know I felt that way when I started... Like I was being lazy for sticking to the basics. But it's helped so much with not getting frustrated/tired of cooking.

• Moderators

The beauty thing about the Well Fed cook books is that she makes amazing recipes with things that you find in your pantry.  BAsically, if you have cumin, ginger, lime, garlic and other easily found spices, you can make any of her recipes and they're all good!

Also, @brittanyxo - have you ever tried parchment paper? It's a good liner for pans, is compostable where tinfoil has to go in the dump, and the only extra cleaning is that you sometimes have to rinse off the pan (rinse, not scrub) if you cooked something with some juices like chicken... for veggies, I use the same greased parchment until it's cooked brown :)

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

The beauty thing about the Well Fed cook books is that she makes amazing recipes with things that you find in your pantry.  BAsically, if you have cumin, ginger, lime, garlic and other easily found spices, you can make any of her recipes and they're all good!

Also, @brittanyxo - have you ever tried parchment paper? It's a good liner for pans, is compostable where tinfoil has to go in the dump, and the only extra cleaning is that you sometimes have to rinse off the pan (rinse, not scrub) if you cooked something with some juices like chicken... for veggies, I use the same greased parchment until it's cooked brown :)

Thanks @brittanyxo and @SugarcubeOD.   I think I'm just feeling like a slug atm.  I have all the Well Fed books and Nom Nom Paleo as well.  This is going to sound so pathetic but we don't have some of the spices etc in Australia that are referred to and also I have to convert the recipes to our metric so....being in slug mode....it's nice just to do something out of my head without fuss.  However, having said that I've also seen heaps and heaps  of "easy" recipes in the books as well, if I can just get my finger out and my head on straight again!! :rolleyes:  I'm actually going through my cooking books and getting rid of a whole lot of them.  I think I'm onto a new lifestyle here.  I don't need books like 887 cakes to make with chocolate fudge.  Thanks Brittany for the ideas.  It's winter here so cooking up a storm in the oven for 3-5 nights may be the way to go.  I've found a recipe for crispy oven broccoli that is supposed to be delish -  I might try give that a go (it has liquid smoke in it!! ). 

On a positive note - got my butt out of bed at 6am and went for a 30 min walk.  Is this my new superpower?

Ha!  hope you all are travelling well. :D    And  @thatgirlwholaughs welcome!  Would you like to share how you're going?

On 5/26/2017 at 5:42 PM, aussiegal said:

On a positive note - got my butt out of bed at 6am and went for a 30 min walk.  Is this my new superpower?

Getting up at 6am in the winter is a superpower on it's own... haha. Getting exercise is a huge bonus!

I make a crispy broccoli that is just broccoli chopped up, tossed in a bit of olive oil (2 to 3 tbsp), and sprinkle with garlic powder. Spread out on a baking sheet, then just bake at 375F (190C) for about 35 minutes (toss them around on the tray half way through). SUPER easy, always turns out super dee-lish! (If you don't have time for liquid smoke... haha)

@SugarcubeOD  thanks for the parchment tip. I actually have tons of parchment paper. Never thought about it being compostable!

Hi all,  just a quick catch up.  7 days!!!  ONE WEEK!!!  (or in W30 speak 37 days!)   Am totally nailing this!! ;) Thanks Brittany for the broccoli trick.  I bought some this week and it's still in the fridge so I'll use it when I do a big vege palooza in the oven in the next couple of days. 

So....my secret shame is still eating in front of TV but I'm focusing on portion control and feeling satisfied....oh and chewing alot!!  Plus I've made my own sauerkraut and kimchi (very primitive but edible- masterchef material I am not!)  trying to incorporate my probiotic fix. 

My secret delight is...wait for it!...I have ordered a hula hoop!!  Yes!  This is going to be hilarious - I mean - think Disney and dancing hippos- but hey I could do with a good laugh at myself and I need to be moving more as you all know.  I am also still on my 21-days-in-a-row -30-min-walk and am putting a sticker on my calendar so my inner child ( who is still at preschool I'm sure!) feels satisfied :P.  4 stickers so far. 

By the way I also got the book "The Power of Habit: Why we do what we do and how to change" by Charles Duhigg - it was recommended in the Whole 30 blurbs somewhere.  I really like books that are not only helpful but practical - I don't want a whole lot of theoretical jibba jabba at this point in my journey.   So I'll let you know how this one stacks up.  

Really hope anyone doing this or reading these posts is doing well.  cheers!

Hi all.  I'm also an Aussie and planning to start on June 1. Hoping  to give and gain support with people closer to my time zone. :)  Prepping starts tomorrow. Looking forward to feeling better through this process. :)

15 hours ago, aussiegal said:

I am also still on my 21-days-in-a-row -30-min-walk and am putting a sticker on my calendar so my inner child ( who is still at preschool I'm sure!) feels satisfied :P.  4 stickers so far. 

You are not alone! I give myself a sparkly star sticker every day that I complete!! It goes right back to that basic feeling of accomplishment, I think. Reminds me of a teacher saying I've done a good job, so now it's me telling myself I've done a good job!

And @SugarcubeOD ... I used parchment paper last night. Yes, more mess, but my veggies didn't stick like they often do to the foil! So that's a plus!

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, brittanyxo said:

You are not alone! I give myself a sparkly star sticker every day that I complete!! It goes right back to that basic feeling of accomplishment, I think. Reminds me of a teacher saying I've done a good job, so now it's me telling myself I've done a good job!

My first Whole30 I had a blank grid calendar and I coloured in each successful day with a different colour wax crayon. It was totally a child-like joy to be able to do that every day. And at the end I had a rainbow grid of my accomplishment!

There have been some snags getting prepped, but I'm all set to start today (May 31st). I've successfully completed a Whole30 once previously, and it was amazing. I just have to get past the first few days for things to start being automatic and easy. Planning on keeping this forum open on my phone starting *now*.

Not totally related, but are there any suggestions for post-it notes on mirrors?

Hi  @Shawni  Good to have you here!  There are some aussie ideas on "sourcing food from Australia" (this forum) that helped me out.  But glad you are here!  Prep away and lots of support here. 

@ladyshanny I think your calendar would have looked awesome!!!  Naive art at it's best! Love it! And @brittanyxo  I think I might trade in my florescent dots for sparkly stars...and maybe stick on jewels...  If I get creative I could end up with something arty like @ladyshanny

And @thatgirlwholaughs (love the name btw :)) A couple of my favourites mirror notes are:

"wherever you go, go with all your heart"  

"nothing is impossible - the word itself says I'm possible" and

"keep the faith. You've got this!"

Also  I'm making the Whole30/whole 9 a lifestyle change for me but I'm  aware I don't fit in with most of the planet living "normal" lives (e.g. family, friends, work).      So one of my faves atm is "sometimes I pretend to be normal...then it gets boring so I go back to being me" (which is W30! ;))  This one is sort of like comfort for me. 

Hope everyone is doing well and let us know if any tiger blood shows up. 

On 5/31/2017 at 2:22 AM, aussiegal said:

I don't fit in with most of the planet living "normal" lives

I hear ya. I think the hardest part moving forward for myself is that I'm always going to have to pay extra attention in social events, or compromise, or let myself "indulge" and fight that inner battle of guilt (Food Freedom... I needs work on it.) But overall I know I feel better when I'm eating clean and healthy.

I started reading Food Freedom Forever a couple days ago. Already, I've learned it's expected to be hard, and to slip up, not if I will, but when. And the big thing Melissa put in there was she doesn't suggest going longer than 90 days before evaluating your reintroduction, in case you're avoiding foods that are actually "worth it". So I'm going to need to adjust my 120 now. Probably do 90, 10 days re-intro, and a modified Whole 30 leading up to my vacation in September. That stand alone 30 days will probably look more like what I will want my diet to look like moving forward. 

If you guys haven't read it, yet, I strongly recommend it!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

and a modified Whole 30 food freedom leading up to my vacation in September.

Fixed that for you... there's no such thing as a modified Whole30.  There is Whole30 and there is food freedom. :)

Hi all,  I'm back to W30 day one again - but in the nicest possible way.  Last night my son told me I was expecting my first grandchild so there was champagne and lots of food for a family celebration.  I didn't worry about staying on track and decided the break was "worth it" as it was a once in a lifetime experience!  

So  I'll start back at day one and do another whole30 from there.   Best of luck to you all.  And Brittany keep on keeping on!  You are doing fabulously!!   

Ohhh, @aussiegal ... Look's like we both didn't quite make it... Haha! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! Definitely a good reason for letting loose! That's so exciting!

Second, I too, indulged in social eating/drinking this weekend. It was our first BBQ at our new home (we rent a garden suite, and our landlord was having a party), since the entire neighbourhood could hear the party, we decided it was worth it to have some fun and join them. I've gone back to mostly Whole 30 compliant meals, with a couple snacks here and there. I do want to go back to Whole 30 meals, no cheats, but as I look ahead to the calendar of what's going on this summer, it seems every few weeks is a big road block.

To make this clear, I'm currently NOT on Whole 30 anymore.

I started writing a longer post here about my 'falling off the wagon', but decided to post it on my log instead if anyone wants to read it. To sum it up, I will be trying to transition into Food Freedom for the summer, and come back in the Fall for a full 100% Whole 30 reset with reintroduction.

Good luck to everyone! Please keep going! I have already been on the program for 40 days, and I will be continuing to cook compliant meals for the majority of my diet. I hope to see many success stories from you all!

5 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

To make this clear, I'm currently NOT on Whole 30 anymore.

I started writing a longer post here about my 'falling off the wagon', but decided to post it on my log instead if anyone wants to read it. To sum it up, I will be trying to transition into Food Freedom for the summer, and come back in the Fall for a full 100% Whole 30 reset with reintroduction.

Good luck to everyone! Please keep going! I have already been on the program for 40 days, and I will be continuing to cook compliant meals for the majority of my diet. I hope to see many success stories from you all!

Hi @brittanyxo I think we both deserve to take a bow!  We did the whole30 brilliantly and made "worth it" choices after that!  I love that we both see this as ongoing and a lifestyle change not just a "quick fix".  I've read Food Freedom Forever and love it.  It will definitely factor into my future.   It's not about being "perfect" for anyone.  It's about living our best, healthy, happy lives. :D  

Btw I think it's great that you can look ahead and plan how to get a good mix for your life over the summer!  Part of this journey for me has been about trusting myself.   It's only forward from here whichever way we go.  You see I don't only want to just be healthy I want to be happy and enjoy life...;)   I believe it's only success from here.   Have a wonderful, glorious, happy summer B)

Archived