Sweet potato waffles

tpalmiter

Wondering if these are compliant or if they are out like fake pancakes?

1 small sweet potato (or half of a large one)
1 egg
1 TBS avocado oil (or compliant oil of your choice)
Pinch of salt
Ghee (to grease waffle iron)

Heat waffle iron.
Peel and grate sweet potato with a cheese grater and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl whisk egg and then add sweet potato, oil and salt. Mix all ingredients together. Grease waffle iron with ghee. Place sweet potato mixture on waffle iron and distribute evenly. Try not to press the mixture into the iron too much. Cook to desired doneness. Top with your choice of toppings: banana slices, almond butter, eggs, smoked lox, avocado...the possibilities are endless. Enjoy!

18670877_10102399675967038_7051827145221113346_n.jpg

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to spend the time and effort to do this to a poor sweet potato when they are so delicious on their own (slices roast quickly in a hot oven and care like into something coming close to a religious experience). Plus cleaning up a waffle iron (if I had a waffle iron) isn't something I would choose to spend my time on.

Psychologically, I think that a Whole30 is a perfect time to realize that one can survive without pancakes, tortillas, waffles, puddings, ice creams, cereals and any other number of paleo-fied creations. 

But that's probably just me and is the Whole30 equivalent of "get off my lawn". :)

• Administrators

This has been asked and answered by our headmistress herself. I'm on my phone so I can't find it.....but the answer was to cook your shredded sweet potato in a frying pan and skip the waffle-texture/shape for 30 days. I'll try and find the official ruling tmw.

So... it's a waffle made with sweet potatoes. And if I remember, there's a rule that states you can't recreate off-plan items with compliant ingredients. I'd kind of ask yourself why you're eating waffles. Is there something with your sweet tooth or slaying your sugar dragon that a waffle is the go-to?

• Moderators

Facebook W30 groups are the wild west and you're smart to question everything that is posted in them. They're not moderated (by W30 staff) and we've seen all sorts of crazy things that would never fly :)

Archived