Sick of meat

Futrovsky

I am on Day 10 and while I love some aspects of this program, my stomach is hurting and I am sick of so much meat (and chicken). 

All the pre-made paleo meals and snacks seem to focus on a ton of meat, so I guess you need to supplement them with veggies.

I know fish and seafood are allowed, and I love those, but I am not always up for those, especially for breakfast. I miss cheese and yogurt and rice and beans.

Breakfast is especially problematic. Eggs are great but is there any other protein? I have found  "compliant" recipes but most don't seem to contain a protein. For example, chia "puddings." They are apparently compliant, but where is the protein?

Sorry to whine; I'd really love some suggestions.

Thanks very much for any ideas!

• Moderators

Yes, you're right, this is an omnivore program and as such, meat protein is required at each meal.  Chia puddings are not recommended, nor are any of those 'notmeal' concoctions.

You may consider googling 'whole30 meat aversion' or something similar because this has been discussed at length on the forum. There are tips for easier to digest forms of protein such as ground meat... I"m not going to go back into all the tips right here again as it's already out there.

If you like eggs, there's no issue with eating them every day for breakfast or even for more than one meal a day...there was someone on here in the past that did an entire W30 with just eggs.

• Moderators

You might find some of the tips here helpful:  http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Unfortunately, other than the things you've listed, there really aren't other protein options. 

As for breakfast, it doesn't have to be eggs, it can be anything you'd eat any other time of day -- which is probably not helpful right now, since you're already tired of meat.

Maybe try going back to the meal template and just having the minimum amount of meat for a few meals, so just have one palm-sized portion.  Also try finding dishes where the meat is not as obvious -- stir fries with lots of veggies and small pieces of meat, salmon cakes (this is a good recipe:  https://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/), pad Thai  (https://meljoulwan.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/).

I think I only ate eggs for breakfast 2 out of 4 weeks of my last Whole30. Other weeks I had homemade sausage patties and vegetable soup or steak and green beans. 

"Breakfast foods" are a construct of the food industry to try to convince you that you need to eat specific things for that first meal of the day. If you're feeling it's a little too meat heavy, go on the lighter end of the template for protein for a couple days and supplement with some extra veg and fat. You'll still get protein, but a little break from so much of it. 

Archived