Whole30 with Extreme Binge Eating Disorder

MaryBaby

Hi, 

I have extremely horrible binge eating disorder. (I also binge and purge sometimes). I mean eating ruins my life. It started when I was about 16 - I wanted to lose a few pounds because I was uncomfortable with myself and tried doing weight watchers because my sister did it successfully. This started the "I'll start tomorrow and do perfect" hell. I gained about 40 pounds in a few months. I have stretch marks like I've never seen on anyone in my entire life. That was about 9 years ago and to this day, every single time I eat, I struggle with binge eating. I do it over and over and over and hate it every single time. It makes absolutely no sense. I have dropped the weight, throughout the years, though. 

I did a Whole30 last year around June and it changed my life. I started because I had really bad stomach problems (no bowel movements, undigested food being passed, constant stomach ache, probably from binging). I also did one during Lent and it was amazing. I still binged, though. The feeling of not having control over yourself is awful. It's not normal to be addicted to food. I can't live my life with all of my thoughts revolving around food. I can't eat something, and not think about it until I eat it again - it is a living hell.  I did also start working out.  Even with binging (on whole30 foods) I lost about 8 pounds each round and felt not-as-horrible. 

I have had a lot of terrible things going on in my life and the binging has been INSANE. Every.Single.Day. I do it. Some days I do it during one period of the day, hate myself, and then do it again, the.same.day.  The mental and physical problems are unreal. I am always stressed out, always hating myself, always gaining weigh, torturing myself. I also did recently go to a therapist and psychiatrist about this - when I couldn't take how binging made me not want to be around people and cancel plans anymore. I still do it anyway. 

I just got the audio book for Food Freedom the other day and realized while I used only Whole30 compliant foods, I did not do my Whole30s correctly in terms of breaking old habits. 

I NEED to do it again, the right way. I can't live my life like this. 

Has anybody else done this with binge eating disorder? Any tips? 

• Administrators

Aw, @MaryBaby - that all sounds like you're in a really tough spot. It also sounds like you need intervention treatment with a person that you can talk to face to face who is trained to help you deal with this. Not an internet forum run by volunteers. :(  You said you went to a therapist and a psychiatrist, are you still under their care? 

You say you need to do it again and yet although you participated in the Whole30 rules (I assume), your binging carried on anyway so what is it about doing it this time that you feel may be different? It's fair to note that although the Whole30 can help people change their relationship with food, it is a food-tolerance and elimination plan. It was never designed nor purported to train/teach people to deal with significant eating disorders.

We are here to help you get the most out of doing an elimination protocol but you won't get binge/purge coaching here, we are not qualified. One final note, it IS completely normal to be addicted to food. SO many people are addicted to food. The manufacturers make it that way on purpose. The addiction that average people have to oreos or donuts or potato chips is physiological whereas your binge/purge addiction is psychological. Unfortunately there's a difference.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an older post, but just wondering if you were able to complete your Whole30 and see change?  I can honestly say I know exactly how you feel.  I was Whole30 compliant for a couple of months.  Never looked better in my life.  When I say compliant I mean in terms of food, because at the very end, I actually binged on prunes.  Yeah, you read that right.  Nuts and prunes.  Why? Because it was "compliant."  I am trying to do this again but I haven't gotten past day 2 or 3.  I hope you found success, and if you did, please share :) 

Archived