May 29th Start Date

Jeztrsgrl

Hi All, 

I am 41, a mom of 3, a wife, a caregiver to my 93 year old grandmother and work full time.  I need this change in my life.  I'm overweight, depressed, anxious and tired.  The biggest hurdle for me will be my husband.  He has said he will do this program with me (he is diabetic and overweight, High BP, cholesterol, triglycerides), but he is not always one to follow through and be the best support. 

I hope I can lean on you when needed.  I have a group from work who have used this program before... they introduced me to this and have themselves done the program and know the benefits of it.

My second challenge... a small out of town vacation with my mom and sisters... gosh, i am already not looking forward to the amount of food that will be available.  Heaven help me keep on track and be able to find what I need in the options given.

Thanks for reading my intro.  I hope to get to know some of you and make some new friends... we can support each other!

The best piece of advice I can give is to tell people that you're doing a Whole 30. Sure, some of them may not know what it's about or what it entails. You could say something like "I'm doing an elimination plan to help me figure out which foods help me feel my absolute best". But remember why you're doing the Whole 30 in those moments of doubt. It's all about you – and even better if someone you told is also on their own Whole 30 journey. Look for an accountability buddy on the forum. I hope that helps.

I too am starting on 5/29!  This is my second Whole30 but I by no means consider myself an expert.  I am doing this to get healthy and to lose weight.  This won't be easy but I can tell you that by the end of my first Whole30, my food prep habits had started to become habitual and I had stopped thinking about take out as an option when busy and didn't think I had time to cook.  You can do this!

Also starting on 5/29. This is my second Whole 30. I finished the first on 4/26 and things (literally and figuratively) have gotten squishier since then. I'm interested in some fellow passengers. 

I guess that's why this forum is so great...built in support. Since the summer started (in Phx I'd put that at 5/15) all bets have been off. Lots of time w fam Inc late teen and 29-something kids. I need structure!

I am starting on 5/29! It's my first Whole30. I am doing it with a friend but my husband isn't doing it. I did tell him he is under no circumstances allowed to drink wine in front of me during the 30 day challenge. :-)

I am 43 and I have a 4 year old son and 15 lbs of baby weight that I haven't been able to lose the past 4 years. I tend to be pretty self indulgent so I am hoping this will help me focus more on my health and less on eating/drinking as a reward or quick pick me up. I fear the lack of bread....

Hi, Angie. I am 57 and have 5 children...my baby is 15 AND I would love to lose 15 this summer, as one of my daughters is getting married labor day weekend. It is my second whole 30 and hands down the wine was most difficult for me, and the first thing I reintroduced. And, like you, I negotiated with my husband (since 1984) ways to make it more livable. For example, when he wanted an after-work drink, he had a beer. I would like to make good use of this forum this time around....last time, I was in a forum but almost never participated. Michele 

On 5/26/2017 at 8:16 AM, Done with dieting said:

You got this! Be creative with food choices. 

I'm 41 married with 3 kids. I'm the caregiver for my parents. Everyone that I'm cooking and shopping for is Whole30. It's great that you have support at work too.

If I could get my 17, 14 and 6 year old to eat this way... man, that would be heaven and probably a lot less stressful on the pocketbook.  My 93 year old grandmother... now that is a different story, she loves veggies! the only problem i will have with her is the meat.  Some she will eat, but most days she'd rather not.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:48 PM, MMF said:

Hi, Angie. I am 57 and have 5 children...my baby is 15 AND I would love to lose 15 this summer, as one of my daughters is getting married labor day weekend. It is my second whole 30 and hands down the wine was most difficult for me, and the first thing I reintroduced. And, like you, I negotiated with my husband (since 1984) ways to make it more livable. For example, when he wanted an after-work drink, he had a beer. I would like to make good use of this forum this time around....last time, I was in a forum but almost never participated. Michele 

Congrats on your daughters upcoming wedding! You will totally have this in the bag by then since this is your second go around.  

I'm a little worried that I'm going to have to let my husband slip here and there; i know he's doing this more as a support for me than for himself.  

Do you have any advice for a first timer?  I was reading in the book I got that this first week is going to be tiring and next week i'm gonna be annoyed... how was your experience?

On 5/26/2017 at 2:25 PM, donnaAC said:

I too am starting on 5/29!  This is my second Whole30 but I by no means consider myself an expert.  I am doing this to get healthy and to lose weight.  This won't be easy but I can tell you that by the end of my first Whole30, my food prep habits had started to become habitual and I had stopped thinking about take out as an option when busy and didn't think I had time to cook.  You can do this!

o my gosh... we are thinking of doing food prep meals.  do you cook and prepare dishes ahead of time (i know some people do all their weeks cooking on like Sunday and have everything portioned and ready to go), or is your style more of getting everything ready and saving time on cooking ?   

My style is definitely getting things as prepped as I can which I spent a lot of time doing today.  I buy a large pack of chicken tenders each week and cook them on Sunday then store them in a good air tight container in my fridge.  I can them cut them up quickly to throw in a salad or just grab one for a quick snack. Skirt steak works well for this too.  I've not tried the food prep services but I've heard good things and I know there are some that offer paleo meals so you'd just have to make sure they are Whole30 compliant.  I love condiments so I made sure to make plenty of dressings and dips today too.  I love the recipe for Ranch dressing in the Whole30 book as well as the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.  I have to keep it simple during the week when I'm working.  If I have to come home and fix a big meal, I will quit by day 3.  Another go to when I get in a jam is picking up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.  You just have to make sure they don't use any marinades or rubs that wouldn't be compliant.  Then I just pop a bag of frozen vegetables in the microwave and steam.  Cauliflower rice is now available in these kinds of frozen bags!  It wasn't the first time I did this.  That's going to save me a lot of time!

My husband is a lover of ice cream and soda.  I can't really complain because aside from that, he will eat whatever I prepare and not complain.  He is actually very supportive for the most part.  But I know by week 3 he'll be asking if I want to go to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  But I just let him know this benefits him as much as it does me.  

We can do this together!

Suggestion!!! I signed up for the daily whole30 emails (though this is my second time). Has everyone else? If not, perhaps it would fuel some conversation if we were all getting the same posts! My challenge today is a friend's birthday party...you may see me tempted by wine. Just saying. As to food, this friend group of 50-something women is very health conscious so I will be able to stick w that fairly easily. Anybody else out there got day #1 angst? Or elation--I'll take that too, bacause ive been feeling squishy (literally and figuratively) for a couple of weeks and I don't like it. 

I'm a retail manager so I am working today. I worked hard to get my lunch and snacks all prepped. Then I got to work and my staff threw us (management) a surprise potluck to thank us for all we do. Yikes! 

1 hour ago, MMF said:

Suggestion!!! I signed up for the daily whole30 emails (though this is my second time). Has everyone else? If not, perhaps it would fuel some conversation if we were all getting the same posts! My challenge today is a friend's birthday party...you may see me tempted by wine. Just saying. As to food, this friend group of 50-something women is very health conscious so I will be able to stick w that fairly easily. Anybody else out there got day #1 angst? Or elation--I'll take that too, bacause ive been feeling squishy (literally and figuratively) for a couple of weeks and I don't like it. 

i did sign up for them!  i think they will be a bonus motivation. Will definitely discuss any of the topics we are interested in  =)   Good luck at the B'day party!

Hi.  I'm starting today too.  I'm a 60 year old veteran dieter.  This has to be a lifestyle change for me, I'm so over dieting!  My challenge will be that I travel for work, but I've been doing so for the past 9 years, so I know I can plan and eat on the road.  Looking forward to hearing everyone's successes.

11 hours ago, MMF said:

Ha! This is my life. Husband, 5 kids and their friends, job(s)....hijacking is daily if not hourly. Stay the course.

Yes, you are right and I did! Bring on day 2!

Captains Log Day 1 - May 29th

Doing this with my husband.  So far so good.

The amount of veggies I ate today is probably more than I've eaten over the course of a week in the past.

I think I understand the program more than I know how to post to a forum.  New adventures!!!

Hello, all, and welcome to day #2. I finished yesterday and am feeling so much better than I did even a few days ago. I will say that my diet of choice is pretty focused on vegetables and protein (first choice is fish). Since completing my first whole30 on April 26, however, my habits (and now my midsection) is squishy. Like a few of the people on this forum, I struggle with the same 10-15 pounds, and it makes all the difference in the world in how I feel. I think as important is the feeling that I am the pilot/caption, not some rudderless boat "trying" the next bright/shiny thing that comes my way. And, as I put in a post yesterday, I clearly have the first world problem of many enticing things crossing my path every day, if not every hour. So, I need to be in charge of me. I am en route to a week-long writing conference in Northern Michigan, with a very good friend who has very good health habits. (No husband, no kids, no business eating.) I've attended this conference before, and they make a lot of effort to accommodate a healthy lifestyle...so, I really don't have any excuses. I packed plane snacks this morning! How is everyone else doing? 

you guys... chocolate and my bed are calling my name today... headache and tiredness... wow... i was feeling awesome up till today (day 4) and i'm remembering in the book it mentioned this little slump would come... wow

should i mention that i dreamt of mac n cheese and banana pudding the other night?  my husband laughed at me!

I do have to admit, i have thought more about food in the past few days than i have in the past few months!

Archived