June 1 Reset Start - Let's do this (again)!!

jpags99

12 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

I was a Miracle Whip girl so any mayo is gross to me, but thank you for the suggestion. I did try to make the book one once and couldn't get it to emulsify.

But you can make mayo into aioli! Chipotle! Dump ranch! And more! 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. This is my second attempt at Whole 30. I started one Jan 1 and had great success until day 28... so sad, I know! I think the stress of "re-entry" side lined me and I threw in the towel. Anyway, I'm back and ready to rock. I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you and I wish you the best of luck and good health!

Happy June 1st! The refrigerator is cleaned out and there are two bags in the garbage can---overflowing garbage can. I live dangerously. I watched What's With Wheat last night and it reminded me why this Whole30 is important. 

I have a sinus cold with a cough and drainage. It's not pretty. And I'm tired. So, there's day 1 starting off well. 

@iteach Summer colds are the pits, or is it still springtime in Idaho!? At least you know you will feel better by mid-June, one way or the other.

So far I've had a "typical" first day of Whole 30, with strong motivation and good decisions. Breakfast was rushed, but I did have eggs and egg whites, scrambled with Italian seasoning. Went to my favorite coffee shop after yoga class and had can omelet with spinach and mushrooms and a 1/2 cup of melon balls. Then off to the podiatrist. Met DH for lunch (unplanned), but ordered the Cobb salad without blue cheese, and with vinaigrette on the side. No micro-brewed beer! I had mineral water with a chunk of lime. It was skimpy on the chicken, so I had some leftover homemade tuna salad when I got home.

@georgina2 My DH is addicted to Miracle Whip. We pay a lot for it at the specialty grocery store that imports it from the U.S.! I have tried several Online recipes and can't get the taste just right without the sugar. I guess that's the magic ingredient. Do you have a food processor? I have a 100% foolproof recipe for homemade mayonnaise. It always emulsifies. I make it plain with only S&P because that's how DH likes it, but I sometimes pull some out and mix it with some freshly chopped herbs. Dill goes especially well with tuna.

Welcome to all the newbies and those who are doing it again. It's not easy, but IMHO it does get easier after the first 10 days or so. You can remind me of that fact when I start kvetching this weekend! LOL

@Georgina2 if you decide you ever want to give mayo-making another try, consider using the stick blender recipe/method.  I've never known it to fail and you can find it easily online. And for non-mayo tuna eating, I like tuna in my regular salad and whatever dressing I'm making for it and I also like adding tuna to my veggies for a quick meal.  Nom Nom Paleo has a spicy tuna cakes recipe that doesn't use mayo.  You can find the tuna cakes recipe and stick blender mayo recipes online.

@iteach I hope you feel better soon!  

13 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

@Georgina2 if you decide you ever want to give mayo-making another try, consider using the stick blender recipe/method.  I've never known it to fail and you can find it easily online. And for non-mayo tuna eating, I like tuna in my regular salad and whatever dressing I'm making for it and I also like adding tuna to my veggies for a quick meal.  Nom Nom Paleo has a spicy tuna cakes recipe that doesn't use mayo.  You can find the tuna cakes recipe and stick blender mayo recipes online.

I was using a stick blender

3 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

I was using a stick blender

Oh, sorry then.  I think I had the wrong book in mind which is definitely not designed for stick blending.  I hope the other non-mayo suggestions can be useful to you.

I am super super SUPER cranky. Came home from a horrible day at work to the family eating burritos and a container of baklava on the counter. I could kick someone. I'm sure I'm going through sugar withdrawal too. Grrrr.

Husband said he would make compliant stir fry for later. He doesn't do the whole30 but he's familiar with the rules. Until then, I'm in bed.

1 minute ago, Georgina2 said:

I am super super SUPER cranky. Came home from a horrible day at work to the family eating burritos and a container of baklava on the counter. I could kick someone. I'm sure I'm going through sugar withdrawal too. Grrrr.

Husband said he would make compliant stir fry for later. He doesn't do the whole30 but he's familiar with the rules. Until then, I'm in bed.

I'm so sorry, that sounds a little bit like torture.  

That's terrible, @Georgina2!

We had a state of the company meeting today. After, cake is served. I was at my desk ready to not eat any, and then my friend tempted me. I caved. I'm so mad at myself for the lack of discipline!

How did everyone else do today?

Hi All! I'm a bit late to the game, but hope I can still join this great group! This is my second W30, the first one was last June. I tried to do another one in September, but the month go crazy and I gave up after 2.5 weeks. I think one a year is a good plan for me, and June seems to be a pretty good month for me. Last year I felt so great at the end of the month, and I really want that feeling again. I've been having some trouble with arthritis in my knees, and I'm hoping this will help with that too!

Looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you! Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Sounds like at least you have a reasonably supportive husband... I commend your ability to notice you're cranky and steer clear of the family by going to bed.  Honestly, adult naps are extremely underrated and sometimes the only thing you can do is be asleep so you're not experiencing the horror of kicking members of your family (altho, if you do kick them, we'll support you!)

I'm here after slipping on day 12 of my first Whole30 which I'm really cross about! I am back to the beginning again. Day 2 for me today. Really like the programme and the rules, but there are times when it's hard - I have a social occasion tomorrow night when we are going a 'bring and share' supper and I'm going to have to be super careful. I know I've lost a bit of weight already, but my main aim is to tame the sugar dragon  and get my cravings under control. I was overdosing on dates so they've had to go! Strangely I'm not missing chocolate too much which is a really big one for me.

14 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@iteach Summer colds are the pits, or is it still springtime in Idaho!? At least you know you will feel better by mid-June, one way or the other.

It's a cold for sure, and, yes, most definitely springtime in Idaho means the pollen count is up on our area. After a horrendous winter, the mold/pollen count is crazy high. Oh, I sure hope so! 

13 hours ago, Ginsky said:

@Georgina2

Thank you! I took some meds. last night and slept like a rock for about 6 hours straight. I think that helped the fatigue with the cold. 

13 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I think I would have gone to bed too. In fact, I'm sure I pouted like a two year old a few times yesterday. You're got an awesome husband!

10 hours ago, jpags99 said:

We had a state of the company meeting today. After, cake is served. I was at my desk ready to not eat any, and then my friend tempted me. I caved. I'm so mad at myself for the lack of discipline!

I totally know this feeling! I hope you find today YOUR day and keep going and not letting that one choice make you change the direction of your goals.  You've got this!

My cold's subsiding...I think. I made a LARGE pot of vegetable beef soup that I ate on all day in between naps and Netflix episodes.

I feel like I need a medal or something getting through the first day's mental challenges though. Annoyance is the only issue I had yesterday. Annoyed with having a cold (and all the feelings of having a cold) on the first day of this Whole30. Maybe I need to make a Whole30 racing bib as a reminder that the finish lines is just 29 days away and I'm working on my growth mindset to be a healthier person; and find out if gluten is really creating havoc on my system. It's definitely an addiction. 

Off to eat breakfast (scrambled eggs and bacon with black coffee) and watch the sun come up on my front porch. 

I hope everyone finds a moment to enjoy the sunshine today.

@iteach Thanks girl! I felt so disappointed in myself yesterday. Today, starting off right - drinking water water water, and i had a Chomps meat stick (what else can I call it??) from Trader Joe's for breakfast. Having a hearty salad today for lunch. At least, that's the plan. 

4 hours ago, iteach said:

I feel like I need a medal or something getting through the first day's mental challenges though. Annoyance is the only issue I had yesterday. Annoyed with having a cold (and all the feelings of having a cold) on the first day of this Whole30.

iteach I hear you! It can be so hard to take good care of ourselves when we feel crappy. Kudos to you for staying the course! I'm sure your body will thank you!

Wow! Sounds like a rocky start for several of us. It was too hot for DH to feel like cooking arracherra last night for dinner, so I went to Plan B, which was my own creation when I did my first Whole 30 two years ago: turkey club salads. The following portions are per person: 3-5 ounces roasted turkey breast (homemade from the freezer or oven roasted, with no additives, from the store), 2-4 cups shredded romaine or baby mixed greens, 1/2 large tomato cut into chunks or 12-15 cherry tomatoes, 2-3 slices bacon cut into pieces, all tossed with 2 TBL homemade mayonnaise (which I sometimes thin with a little extra olive oil or lemon juice. Toss, eat and enjoy.

Breakfast this morning was 1/2 lb cooked hamburger, flavored with powdered garlic, powdered onion, ground cumin, a dash of dried oregano and a dash of dried cilantro. Cook until no longer pink. Stir in 4 whole eggs beaten with 4 egg whites. Serves 2. We had 2 clementines each on the side. Very satisfying. It's now 5 hours later and I am not yet hungry. Hooray for protein. (Lunch will be the arracherra (marinated flank steak) with faux-tato salad leftover from earlier in the week, and probably some steamed beet greens or Swiss chard.)

@Tor26 My way of handling potlucks and bring something to share is to take something I know I will like and that is compliant. The cauliflower salad can be made using your favorite potato salad recipe and substituting cauliflower. I've found that most people, including my DH like it as well or better than traditional potato salad, and I do too. Another one that's easy to make is a spinach salad with raspberries or strawberries. The raspberry vinaigrette recipe is in Whole 30, and if you want to make it a main course, throw in some grilled chicken (or if you are short on time, buy a broasted chicken and remove the skin and bones.) If you have time to do something in the crockpot during the day and are taking a main dish, there are some really good all-meat chili recipes.

By the way, I started easing into the Whole 30 way of eating over the weekend, and I think I hit "kill all things" early! I have been short-tempered, impatient and cranky -- not very pleasant to be around, I'm afraid. I suspect it's the sugar dragon rearing its ugly head.

@iteach I definitely have found gluten and dairy are problematical for me. I can eat either one in small amounts and infrequently, but can't tolerate "normal" amounts or eating them often. This is especially true of cheeses for me.

Ok Folks, I'm in... just had my third son and still breastfeeding.  I'm super tired all the time and I had a full thyroid removal a few years ago.  So I am really in need of a reset for my body.  I'm sticking to this!!!  I am starting tomorrow, June 3rd!

This is my 2nd time doing the Whole30.  I did one this spring at my doctors suggestion for an elimination diet and it turned out to be the best thing for IDing what was causing my IBS.  However, I felt so good on it, and have really started slipping with all the changes in my life (going full time, starting couseling) that I decided to do it again for the month of June.

Yesterday went fairly well, but today I'm tired and feeling lethargic.  Just sort of blah and a little achy.  My understanding is that this is to be expected on day two.  I'm having some cravings, but nothing too specific.  It's the sugar dragon rearing it's head.

I like to report my food plan.  Breakfast was a bag of nuts and black coffee, lunch was shepard's pie (from the cookbooks - it's my favorite) and dinner will be grilled steak with green beans and some cherries.  Olives are available for snacks. 

Archived