June 1 Reset Start - Let's do this (again)!!

jpags99

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a terrible day and we ended up at 5 Guys because no one wanted to cook. I almost said f* it and got fries and everything but i saw the sign that that have everything bunless so i was good and ordered my meat as a bowl with lots of veggies instead (and no fries!) I'm really proud of myself!

8 hours ago, JTCarlson said:

Oh breakfast. Why must you be so hard?  Tough to make good choices when my brain is not fully awake yet. At least I have eggs.....

I know, right?! I have to have coffee before I can make any human decisions.

7 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@iteach I definitely have found gluten and dairy are problematical for me. I can eat either one in small amounts and infrequently, but can't tolerate "normal" amounts or eating them often. This is especially true of cheeses for me.

Glad I'm not alone! I wish I knew what normal was for me. I think the more I've been reading about gluten and non celiac gluten intolerance, the more I need to figure this out now. 

4 hours ago, CKM said:

I like to report my food plan.  Breakfast was a bag of nuts and black coffee, lunch was shepard's pie (from the cookbooks - it's my favorite) and dinner will be grilled steak with green beans and some cherries.  Olives are available for snacks. 

I absolutely love to hear you have a great support system. I have to try that shepherd's pie recipe. Thanks for sharing. It's great to get ideas to starve off the boring menus I tend to keep to.

1 hour ago, Georgina2 said:

I've had a terrible day and we ended up at 5 Guys because no one wanted to cook. I almost said f* it and got fries and everything but i saw the sign that that have everything bunless so i was good and ordered my meat as a bowl with lots of veggies instead (and no fries!) I'm really proud of myself!

Nice job! I haven't been to 5 G's in forever. Their burgers here just don't make the grade, but it's nice to know they have options if I ever have to hang out there for a meal. Making those little changes and choices deserve little victory dances. By the way...the Ace of Base song just popped into my head reading your post. 

I've decided to call my first 7 days of this Whole30 "Mental Challenge Days" (aka. Head Hunger Games). 

It's not the sugar monster or the gluten demon haunting me or causing me any grief, I'm mentally doing that all by myself. Maybe it's the sinus cold? It could have been the meds. I'm done with them as of this evening, so we'll see how things roll over the weekend. I think for me, this go around, it's the mental game of head hungry vs. true hunger.

From August to May, I eat (and drink) out of pure survival mode. I can tell exactly when recess, lunch, and prep time is without a clock. I basically haven't found my summer "break" niche yet, and head hunger is getting to me.

I haven't been able to stop planning and prepping and thinking about the next meal. I'm a planner/prepper by profession. It's crazy.

The good thing though....there's food prepped and planned in the fridge for the weekend. Now, I just need to get past the Head Hunger Games. 

@iteach  hang in there! I've been compliant but had a headache all day. Not sure if it's withdrawals, or the wind floating pollen around, or not enough water, or not enough exercise.  Oh, and I did want to buy a big bag of sour gummy worms at Michael's today. That for certain is because I was hungry and I had a tiny bag last weekend because I knew I was starting back up.

Calling it for what it is, and going to bed. Sleep well.

Tomorrow is a brand new day!

9 hours ago, Mary Stovall said:

@iteach  hang in there! I've been compliant but had a headache all day. Not sure if it's withdrawals, or the wind floating pollen around, or not enough water, or not enough exercise.  Oh, and I did want to buy a big bag of sour gummy worms at Michael's today. That for certain is because I was hungry and I had a tiny bag last weekend because I knew I was starting back up.

Calling it for what it is, and going to bed. Sleep well.

Tomorrow is a brand new day!

Same to you! Those "grab snacks" are definitely enticing, aren't they? After a few go arounds of Whole30, it seems that the first few days we realize how dehydrated we really are. The pollen count is unreal here as well. I hope you rested well!

I still have a monster headache too. Probably haven't been eating enough or drinking enough water. I'm actually looking forward to prepping today so that I'll have some good food choices available.

Happy weekend everyone.

16 hours ago, iteach said:

From August to May, I eat (and drink) out of pure survival mode. I can tell exactly when recess, lunch, and prep time is without a clock. I basically haven't found my summer "break" niche yet, and head hunger is getting to me.

I haven't been able to stop planning and prepping and thinking about the next meal. I'm a planner/prepper by profession. It's crazy.

I'm a teacher too and I can SO relate to this. I'm teaching summer school right now, but it is a completely different schedule for me and I'm just......off.  And despite having a week between the end of finals and the start of summer school I didn't prep/plan *anything*. Cause I'm proactive like that.

So it's day 3, almost noon and I haven't eaten anything yet. Which I know is A BAD DECISION, but nothing sounds good and I'm feeling lethargic. Making a meal sounds like too. much. work. And it's not like I'm craving anything (yet). I just don't want to eat anything. But not in a good way. In a lazy would-it-be-too-terrible-if-I-just-never-got-out-of-bed-again? way. Ugh.

Hope the rest of you are having a good day!!

Thanks for letting me vent. After I wrote the last post I decided to kick my own butt, and made myself lunch - thank heavens for avocados and Trader Joe's carnitas! That gave me enough of a boost to hard boil some eggs and make mayo. I'm thinking of trying Mel Joulwan's scotch eggs, but with ground beef instead of ground pork (cause ground beef is what I have). Has anyone tried something like this? Am I crazy? (Note: these are not mutually exclusive questions).

So yesterday started off well for me. Breakfast I ate a TJ's meat stick, and then for lunch I made my typical salad with a gigantic avocado. However, something tasted funky and I just wasn't feeling it. My coworker went to an italian restaurant down the road from the office and brought back his food, which included garlic rolls. Sadly, because I was so hungry, I had one. Dinner rolled around and I had my mind set on this frozen pizza from Publix that is gluten free. Unfortunately, it wasn't dairy free. I went home and ate 3/4 of it. I feel like I have failed myself...or maybe I just need to give myself a break and realize that this "restart" doesn't have to be SOOO strict. Remember, I'm doing this as a restart, not necessarily a full W30. I don't know - am I being too hard on myself or making excuses?

Today I did well by eating another meat stick for breakfast, a spinach and kale smoothie (non-dairy with no added sugar fruit juice) from Nature's Table in the mall, and then chipotle (compliant ingredients) for lunch. However, dinner is rolling around and I'm going to this place I've never been before. I have a feeling I just won't eat, or maybe I'll get some guac and not eat the chips with it...:rolleyes:

Good job to everyone else for making good, healthy choices!

@jpags99 I can't remember when you did your first Whole 30 or exactly why you are doing a restart, but I'd say a restart/reset with this many exceptions is not a true restart! But we are all adults, and only you can decide what is appropriate for you. I highly recommend reading Food Freedom Forever, which I think is a sensible approach to changing our eating habits over the long term. She even suggests resets that are a Whole 7 or a 'whole 15, saving the Whole 30 resets for times when we have been "off" for months and months or still experience symptoms. The operative phrase for going "off" the program is, "Was it worth it?" And sometimes the answer is yes, and sometimes, it's no. 

If you read my earlier post, you'll see that I have already figured out how often and how much I can eat dairy and wheat. Obviously I ate those foods with full awareness of it. I'd say maybe the operative word for you might be, was I intentionally experimenting, or was I responding in the moment?

Also, I am not a nutritionist or a moderator for the Whole Foods Forums, but it sounds to me as if you are not eating enough food, period. If I don't eat enough, I am far more vulnerable to temptations and eating non-compliant foods. By the way, one of my tricks when I go out with friends, especially to an unknown restaurant, is to eat something health before I leave home, like a hard-boiled egg or a few ounces of grilled chicken. Also, I can often find compliant foods on the appetizer menu, and order one or two of those instead of an entree. If they have salads, a Cobb salad is a good choice. Just tell the waiter you don't want blue cheese or ANY cheese, and ask of vinaigrette on the side.

Most important, enjoy yourself. Enjoy your friends. Make the food secondary!!!

7 minutes ago, KofeKat said:

What are some good snacks to have on hand?

Hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, nuts (but be careful of these!!!) For me a protein snack works best, but some people do fine by simply having a bunch of different raw veggies washed and cut and waiting in ziplock bags. Beef jerky, if you can find a compliant brand, is another one I've heard about but been unable to find where I live. If you want to live dangerously, try apple slices dipped in almond butter! I have also learned that if I really eat enough at my meals, and the meals include all food groups, I don't need snacks as much as I used to need them. Great question. You should get some good answers from other people, too.

1 hour ago, jpags99 said:

So yesterday started off well for me. Breakfast I ate a TJ's meat stick, and then for lunch I made my typical salad with a gigantic avocado. However, something tasted funky and I just wasn't feeling it. My coworker went to an italian restaurant down the road from the office and brought back his food, which included garlic rolls. Sadly, because I was so hungry, I had one. Dinner rolled around and I had my mind set on this frozen pizza from Publix that is gluten free. Unfortunately, it wasn't dairy free. I went home and ate 3/4 of it. I feel like I have failed myself...or maybe I just need to give myself a break and realize that this "restart" doesn't have to be SOOO strict. Remember, I'm doing this as a restart, not necessarily a full W30. I don't know - am I being too hard on myself or making excuses?

Today I did well by eating another meat stick for breakfast, a spinach and kale smoothie (non-dairy with no added sugar fruit juice) from Nature's Table in the mall, and then chipotle (compliant ingredients) for lunch. However, dinner is rolling around and I'm going to this place I've never been before. I have a feeling I just won't eat, or maybe I'll get some guac and not eat the chips with it...:rolleyes:

Your description of yesterday is definitely not a Whole30 day.  Even without the dairy, gluten free crust likely had other grains and possibly also soy.  Today might be your day 1 if you stay compliant.  Whole30 doesn't work without compliance, it's just the science of biology and our bodies.  No amount of excuses will change that.  Do the Whole30, anything less strict is not Whole30.

• Moderators

Have you ever done a Whole30 before?  You're saying you're doing it as a restart so it doesn't have to be strict... anytime you take on a Whole30, you're doing it strict or you're not doing it.  If you are in your food freedom, that's totally fine, but we would ask that you post your non compliant food freedom choices in our 'Life after Whole30' section, because it's very confusing to people otherwise.

That said, a meat stick is not breakfast.  Have you seen the template?  If you've done a Whole30 in the past, did you do it according to the template?  Smoothies are discouraged and again a meat stick is not a meal.  Deciding not to eat an entire meal because you don't know where you're going is setting yourself up for failure... 

5 hours ago, JTCarlson said:

I'm a teacher too and I can SO relate to this. I'm teaching summer school right now, 

Nice to have someone else who gets it. I'm envious of teachers who can teach a whole year AND summer school. There's no mental capacity left for me. I hope the summer term goes smoothly enough that you'll get to rest!

4 hours ago, JTCarlson said:

Thanks for letting me vent. After I wrote the last post I decided to kick my own butt, and made myself lunch - thank heavens for avocados and Trader Joe's carnitas! That gave me enough of a boost to hard boil some eggs and make mayo. I'm thinking of trying Mel Joulwan's scotch eggs, but with ground beef instead of ground pork (cause ground beef is what I have). Has anyone tried something like this? Am I crazy? (Note: these are not mutually exclusive questions).

No judgment here. I'm completely abnormal. And, no, I haven't tried scotch eggs, although I'm Scottish by marriage. I probably should try them once. Sounds interesting. I did, however, buy a blending stick thing (why doesn't my brain work  with words right now?) to make mayo. Next on my list. 

I just really appreciate your honesty and sharing this difficult journey. It's freaking frustrating when we're trying to make these crazy changes for a better life. And it down right sucks right now. But keep going. I can't find the post by Melissa about what happens when you're giving in to the foods you're choosing to avoid, maybe you'll have a better go at it then me. I just remember she made me feel like being human means I'm going to make mistakes and I'm going to fail, and it's okay. We just have to make a choice. Man, I need to find it. Just know, I hope you'll stay with us! Keep trying. Don't give up. And, the next time something non Whole30 shows up in your hand--throw it. :)

1 hour ago, KofeKat said:

Hi all, I'm a first time Whole 30 follower. I hope I can join you all on this journey and pick up some good tips. 

Cheers to all,

Loren

Welcome!

1 hour ago, KofeKat said:

Coming from a snacker myself, boiled eggs, olives, celery, meats---basically a meal. :)

5 minutes ago, iteach said:

I did, however, buy a blending stick thing (why doesn't my brain work  with words right now?) to make mayo. Next on my list. 

You're going to love how easy it is to make mayo with it! The stick blender (or immersion blender if that's the word you were looking for) is also great for making certain soups like silky ginger zucchini soup, butternut squash soup, or cucumber gazpacho.  

I had a very hard day, emotionally, but just kept putting one food in front of the other. I didn't get much cooking done yet but i made some awesome chicken and carrots from the cookbook and baked potatoes with ghee and bacon. Had to really force myself to eat the protein though.

We bought lots of meat and veggies so tomorrow will be the big cooking day. On my list, mayo, dump ranch, beef & beet borscht, Thai chicken curry with green beans, roasted potato slices, baked sweet potatoes, sauteed spinach and mushroom, chicken cutlets, Shepard's pie, and butternut squash soup.  Along with some salads that should get me through the week.

@Jmb369 I started this thread for all that wanted to do a reset based on FFF. So, I have read it. I am trying to do the full W30 because for the last month during reintroduction, I have been eating garbage and feel like it. I know what I should and shouldn't be eating. And the short answer is, no, it wasn't worth it. However my sugar dragon took control and told me to eat everything. I think, for me, I have to do an all or nothing approach. I can't do this halfway. 

@jpags99 I definitely had trouble after my first reintroduction, but practice makes perfect, and each time I do the Whole 30 more of it 'sticks" with me. I am doing a complete Whole 30 this time because I feel as if I need a complete reset. So, even though I know that in the future I may be able to eat small quantities of some of the noncompliant foods, for this 30-day period I choose to do the 'strict" program. That's why I am here. It's like being a Newbie all over again! Might I suggest that instead of reading FFF, you try rereading Whole 30?

By the way, what did you end up eating when you went out tonight? Did you manage to stay compliant, or is tomorrow your new Day1?

On 6/2/2017 at 7:00 PM, iteach said:

I've decided to call my first 7 days of this Whole30 "Mental Challenge Days" (aka. Head Hunger Games). 

It's not the sugar monster or the gluten demon haunting me or causing me any grief, I'm mentally doing that all by myself. Maybe it's the sinus cold? It could have been the meds. I'm done with them as of this evening, so we'll see how things roll over the weekend. I think for me, this go around, it's the mental game of head hungry vs. true hunger.

The good thing though....there's food prepped and planned in the fridge for the weekend. Now, I just need to get past the Head Hunger Games. 

4 hours ago, KofeKat said:

@KofeKat all the other suggestions are awesome! I usually work out 5-6 days a week, and once in a while have an all day or late meeting and Chomps sticks have been a lifesaver. I keep a mixture of almonds, coconut, cacao nibs and a little compliant dried fruit (this is really hard to find - be careful) in a jar ready to grab and go.  I had to make a rule to only eat those items as a snack or to tide me over, they are pretty yummy and could be a Food Without Brakes item if I'm not careful. And, I keep the small bottles of Trader Joe's sparkling water in my car, and the big bottles at home. Mostly because they make me happy :-).  At home, I keep fresh veggies and homemade mayo on hand. 

52 minutes ago, Jmb369 said:

@jpags99 I definitely had trouble after my first reintroduction, but practice makes perfect, and each time I do the Whole 30 more of it 'sticks" with me. I am doing a complete Whole 30 this time because I feel as if I need a complete reset. So, even though I know that in the future I may be able to eat small quantities of some of the noncompliant foods, for this 30-day period I choose to do the 'strict" program. That's why I am here. It's like being a Newbie all over again! Might I suggest that instead of reading FFF, you try rereading Whole 30?

By the way, what did you end up eating when you went out tonight? Did you manage to stay compliant, or is tomorrow your new Day1?

I was able to find something to eat. The waitress gave me a allergen info pamphlet which helped bc it had soy on there too. I went with a Ribeye because I was starving and two sides of broccoli. It was pretty bland, and it's really not sitting well with me right now, unfortunately. Going to bed so hopefully i can sleep off this yuck.

3 hours ago, iteach said:

I just really appreciate your honesty and sharing this difficult journey. It's freaking frustrating when we're trying to make these crazy changes for a better life. And it down right sucks right now. But keep going. I can't find the post by Melissa about what happens when you're giving in to the foods you're choosing to avoid, maybe you'll have a better go at it then me. I just remember she made me feel like being human means I'm going to make mistakes and I'm going to fail, and it's okay. We just have to make a choice. Man, I need to find it. Just know, I hope you'll stay with us! Keep trying. Don't give up. And, the next time something non Whole30 shows up in your hand--throw it. :)

Thank you! I appreciate your support.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KofeKat said:

Hey Loren - We'd rather you didn't 'snack' on dried fruit and nuts (as has been suggested in this thread) and instead, focus on making your meals last 4-5 hours.  If, whiile you're getting the hang of it, you need to eat between meals, make it a mini meal of protein and fat... hard boiled egg with some mayo, avocado and some chicken salad... that kind of thing.  Real food that will provide nutrients and saiety, not fruit and nuts/nut butters on their own, which may be food without brakes as well as not providing much in the way of saiety.  I believe @Jmb369 and @iteach have given you some great ideas here :)

28 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey Loren - We'd rather you didn't 'snack' on dried fruit and nuts (as has been suggested in this thread) and instead, focus on making your meals last 4-5 hours.  If, whiile you're getting the hang of it, you need to eat between meals, make it a mini meal of protein and fat... hard boiled egg with some mayo, avocado and some chicken salad... that kind of thing.  Real food that will provide nutrients and saiety, not fruit and nuts/nut butters on their own, which may be food without brakes as well as not providing much in the way of saiety.  I believe @Jmb369 and @iteach have given you some great ideas here :)

ooops! Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. Just goes to show, you learn something new every time. Thanks for the correction @SugarcubeOD 

Archived