June 1 Reset Start - Let's do this (again)!!

jpags99

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mary Stovall said:

ooops! Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. Just goes to show, you learn something new every time. Thanks for the correction @SugarcubeOD 

Sorry, I knew I read it but coudlnt find it again so I didn't tag you.  One more thing on that fruit and nuts, cacao is only approved for making savory items such as chocolate chili or a rub for steak, not for eating as a snack or in a trail mix type of mixture... Probably best to put that jar aside for your food freedom when you're done if you decide you still want it :)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Ginsky said:

You're going to love how easy it is to make mayo with it! The stick blender (or immersion blender if that's the word you were looking for) is also great for making certain soups like silky ginger zucchini soup, butternut squash soup, or cucumber gazpacho.  

Immersion. Yep, that's the word I was looking for.  Thank you! Strangely enough, when I'm following Whole30 during the summer time, hot/tomato base type of soups are my go to. I need to branch out and try butternut squash. It's gaining popularity.  

Day 4.

Swapped out my work clothes with my summer wear and bagged up 2 bags of clothes to take to the local thrift store. After my anger subsided with finding sizes of 12 through 20, I decided my 18/20 needs a big kick in the pants. Annoyance is still hanging around, but I think my energy level's coming up. I refuse to get rid of any size at this point unless they become too big. I'm looking forward to that NSV (nonscale victory). I even found my black 2-piece swimsuit. Yep, put it on. Printed that picture out for journal. And, then I put it in my drawers. It might come out this summer. When nobody's around. In the back yard. 

I'm still feeling annoyed, and fairly cranky. I take one look at my treadmill and I want to take a sledgehammer to it. I haven't gone for a walk in days since this sinus cold. I need to stop the excuses and need to just do something. 

I slept like a rock last night without cold medicine. Maybe a NSV? or maybe just my body needing to rest from having the cold. 

Anyone have a NSV so far?

I am still super cranky.  Granted, it's generally my standard state of being but it's definitely cranked up to 200%.  I went grocery shopping and was so frustrated at all the foods I couldn't have.  

2 hours ago, iteach said:

Immersion. Yep, that's the word I was looking for.  Thank you! Strangely enough, when I'm following Whole30 during the summer time, hot/tomato base type of soups are my go to. I need to branch out and try butternut squash. It's gaining popularity.  

oh god, how can you do hot, heavy soups in the summer?? I cannot! (then again, I also live in Florida where it's stifling 24/7)

Day 4.

Swapped out my work clothes with my summer wear and bagged up 2 bags of clothes to take to the local thrift store. After my anger subsided with finding sizes of 12 through 20, I decided my 18/20 needs a big kick in the pants. Annoyance is still hanging around, but I think my energy level's coming up. I refuse to get rid of any size at this point unless they become too big. I'm looking forward to that NSV (nonscale victory). I even found my black 2-piece swimsuit. Yep, put it on. Printed that picture out for journal. And, then I put it in my drawers. It might come out this summer. When nobody's around. In the back yard. 

I'm still feeling annoyed, and fairly cranky. I take one look at my treadmill and I want to take a sledgehammer to it. I haven't gone for a walk in days since this sinus cold. I need to stop the excuses and need to just do something. 

I slept like a rock last night without cold medicine. Maybe a NSV? or maybe just my body needing to rest from having the cold. 

Anyone have a NSV so far?

I was cranky and irritable yesterday, today wasn't as bad, thankfully.  Who knows how I'll wake up tomorrow though.  

I'm glad you got the sleep you needed.  As far as NSV, I am not even going to try to think about that or judge any personal events until at least after the first 8 days and probably not until after the midpoint or even closer to the end.  Except of course to celebrate the victory of each day completed.  

2 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I am still super cranky.  Granted, it's generally my standard state of being but it's definitely cranked up to 200%.  I went grocery shopping and was so frustrated at all the foods I couldn't have.  

I'm told it will pass. But, I dunno, maybe crankiness will drive us to the end. :)

57 minutes ago, jpags99 said:

oh god, how can you do hot, heavy soups in the summer?? I cannot! (then again, I also live in Florida where it's stifling 24/7)

It's because we have dry-heat compared to your "lovely" Humid-hot in Florida. :) And, I hate cooking. It's easier to have soup and salad. LOL

6 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

I was cranky and irritable yesterday, today wasn't as bad, thankfully.  Who knows how I'll wake up tomorrow though.  

I'm glad you got the sleep you needed.  As far as NSV, I am not even going to try to think about that or judge any personal events until at least after the first 8 days and probably not until after the midpoint or even closer to the end.  Except of course to celebrate the victory of each day completed.  

Glad it wasn't so bad for you today! It'll probably come in waves.

Thanks. I really need energy now to get things done---we have a storm coming in and my garden hasn't been touched since last fall. It's just mentally too much work. Sounds like a great idea to wait a week or so. Definitely celebrate each day completed. Happy Dance must happen....no matter where we are or what we're wearing. :)

1 hour ago, iteach said:

I'm told it will pass. But, I dunno, maybe crankiness will drive us to the end

LOL!  It does get better.  During my first round it was about week 3, but I'm chronically cranky.

I just treated myself to a cast iron skillet and dutch oven online to make cooking easier, since I can't have food treats.  I've been wanting them forever and I found some reasonably priced ones that are Made in America so I decided to indulge.

I've got a HUGE pot of beef and beet borscht going on the stove now (hence the desire for a dutch oven, lol) and I successfully made mayo and dump ranch for the first time today!  I still have lots of cooking to do, but at least I'm starting to get some food in the house that I can eat.  Here's the start of the borscht, carrots, cabbage and beets. 18880016_1870208446567332_43651206055436

5 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

bring the shopping list located here with you to figure out what you can have. It made my very first W30 shopping trip so much easier, but I do understand the frustration. It's quite eye-opening to see just how many things contain sugar and soy! It's in EVERYTHING. Even PAM, which you wouldn't think because it's just cooking spray, right? Wrong. Hang in there. You'll be feeling less cranky in a few days. I promise you!  

It's because we have dry-heat compared to your "lovely" Humid-hot in Florida. :) And, I hate cooking. It's easier to have soup and salad. LOL

What? you don't like the feeling of walking into a sauna the second you walk outside? humidity2.jpg

• Moderators

Y'all who are cranky today, that's not unusual, however I would encourage you to look at the template and make sure that you're eating enough... it can FEEL like a lot of food when we're used to grazing or snacking or not eating any fat at all, but the template is the bare minimum an adult human needs to exist and if you're eating less than that, you could be complicating the crankies... if you want to know if you're on track, feel free to post a day or two of meals here and I can take a look.  Make SURE you're adding that eating fat to your meals and that you're drinking 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight.  The crankiness won't last so stay strong :)

I think i hit the exhausted stage today. Slept nearly 9 hours, had breakfast within an hour of waking, yet it's only 9:30 and i could fall asleep at my desk. At least I'm too tired to be cranky.

3 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I think i hit the exhausted stage today. Slept nearly 9 hours, had breakfast within an hour of waking, yet it's only 9:30 and i could fall asleep at my desk. At least I'm too tired to be cranky.

This got me through my first whole30 - knowing that how i'm feeling is totes normal. Remember: You're going to get through it!

Day 5....

Not so cranky today. Maybe because I'm finally able to sleep better? The head hunger monster's not so apparent, but I'm trying to keep busy too and I have some energy back. I went for a 2.5 mile walk this morning. My goal is to be able to get back into running. Some strange guy was walking towards, talking to himself. I figured I could probably sit on him but running away wasn't going to happen. He ended up being harmless. As I got closer, I realize he was carrying an extra large fountain drink in one hand and a hot dog in the other. I was hopeful that I could out run him.

Dinner tonight will be grilled chicken thighs, chopped apples w/cinnamon, Romaine salad w/ tomatoes, peppers, and homemade dressing----my husband got out the immersion blender last night for whatever he was concocting and I'll play with it some more today. 

What's for dinner?? This cooking at home every day during the summer thing is foreign to me.

@jpags99 Oh the joys of Florida "heat".  I remember my skin looking amazing when I lived in PC, Florida in my early 20s. Now, in my 40s, living in the dry heat of Idaho, I look either on point or homeless. There's really no in between.

@Georgina2 That looks amazing! I have cast iron as well. They're used quite often. Glad you're getting your rest! I hope you can take an outside break in the sunshine today.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, KofeKat said:

What are some good snacks to have on hand?

First, you want to make sure you are eating enough at each meal so that you don't have the urge to snack. For me, personally, that means I need to have a lot of healthy fat in each mean - my "go-to's" are avocado and homemade mayo. But, because we are all human, I do think it is wise to carry around a few emergency snacks. I like the single-serving packs of almonds (I get mine at Trader Joe's), and I also found some single-serving pouches of compliant chicken jerky at Henry's (I think they are Primal brand).

22 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I'm struggling with crankiness too. I know it will pass, but it sucks to be in that phase. Keep going! We will come through the other side!

I'm still having issues with breakfast. Need to come up with a plan. Thank goodness for hard-boiled eggs. Does anyone have an easy breakfast go-to? Preferably something that doesn't need to be cooked (at least in the morning), or can be heated up in the microwave?

Hope everyone has a great day!

@JTCarlson I don't mind cooking breakfast most mornings, but when it's impossible for some reason, I will often have leftover dinner. I've been known to have 3-4 ounces of cold sliced turkey or roast beef and a banana. (I know it's missing a vegetable, but it works in a pinch!) There are some egg muffins that you can make ahead and reheat in the microwave. My problem is that they don't keep me satisfied as a long as a "real" breakfast. Also some of the frittatas reheat well, or can be eaten cold. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, JTCarlson said:

I'm still having issues with breakfast. Need to come up with a plan. Thank goodness for hard-boiled eggs. Does anyone have an easy breakfast go-to? Preferably something that doesn't need to be cooked (at least in the morning), or can be heated up in the microwave?

Hope everyone has a great day!

You don't have to have breakfast food for breakfast so any dish that you like that's easy to put together or make in advance would work.  Tuna salad on a bed of spinach or other greens can be thrown together quickly, the tuna salad can even be made the night before and stored in the fridge but at that point, so could a lot of things if you're going that route.  Leftovers are great as @Jmb369 mentioned.   

2 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

@JTCarlson I don't mind cooking breakfast most mornings, but when it's impossible for some reason, I will often have leftover dinner. I've been known to have 3-4 ounces of cold sliced turkey or roast beef and a banana. (I know it's missing a vegetable, but it works in a pinch!) There are some egg muffins that you can make ahead and reheat in the microwave. My problem is that they don't keep me satisfied as a long as a "real" breakfast. Also some of the frittatas reheat well, or can be eaten cold. Hope this helps.

be careful with your deli meats. most have sugar, soy and/or wheat in them.

Hi all!  I started Whole30 on June 1st as well (Day 5), but this is my first day on the forums.  Thought I would introduce myself!  It's great to have such an active group on here!  I've been fighting off headaches and sooo tired the past couple of days, but otherwise feeling good.  I'm just proud of myself for surviving the weekend with my kids and not cheating!  Hope to learn a lot from and about all of you over the next 25+ days!  :-)

22 minutes ago, laurelerin22 said:

Hi all!  I started Whole30 on June 1st as well (Day 5), but this is my first day on the forums.  Thought I would introduce myself!  It's great to have such an active group on here!  I've been fighting off headaches and sooo tired the past couple of days, but otherwise feeling good.  I'm just proud of myself for surviving the weekend with my kids and not cheating!  Hope to learn a lot from and about all of you over the next 25+ days!  :-)

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on staying strong through the weekend.  You'll learn so much here and especially in the reintro phase once you complete the first 30 days.

26 minutes ago, laurelerin22 said:

welcome! we're on the same schedule, i started June 1 too. Thanks so much for sharing - the support is indeed palpable on this forum - very grateful for it.  by the way, i've had lethargy today too, my first day with lethargy. but i'm also weirdly present and dialed in - a strange combo of experiences for me. Stay with it!! i'm off to go eat "lunch".

:)

Archived