"Easiest" Cooking Fat

Trev

The book lists 8 different types of fats under the heading of "Cooking Fats". The Extra-Virign Olive oil stands out to me as I know what this is, and ive used it in the past. Would I be able to use this as cooking fat for all my Whole30 dishes where necessary?

Thanks.

Extra virgin olive oil is thought to have too low a smoke point for frying however, having lived in Greece long term I can assure you that they use nothing but extra virgin olive oil. The lower the free fatty acidity (FFA) i.e. better quality oils, the higher the temperature at which the oil will begin to smoke. So if you make sure to buy a high quality oil with an FFA of less than 0.2%, then it will start to smoke at a temperature around 20c higher than your average extra virgin oil.  

If you're looking to stick to basics & keep costs down then an alternative option would be a good quality lard which is cheap & widely available here from any local butcher & gives great flavour, especially for eggs.

We're also very lucky in that we produce the much sought after Kerrygold here  (although Ballyrashane is just as good) so if you're feeling adventurous you could buy that & clarify it - a process which removes the milk solids.

Lots of options!

A lot of that went over my head to be honest!!

Can you give me a manufacturer of good quality lard? One that is Whole30 compliant? SO if it was to walk into Asda I have an idea of what Im looking for.

Thanks.

LOL Iceland do one called Kerrymaid that is compliant - just pork fat. Or try one of the Polska shops - they're big into rendered animal fats & the staff are always really helpful in my local one. Ask at your butchers though - they may make their own, or even a beef dripping. I'd go for a butcher's own given the choice

Hope this helps :)

Archived