Antibiotics with dairy

Disaster!!!

Today I was diagnosed with a kidney infection and have to go in a course of antibiotics. They contain both lactose and sucrose! What do I do?? I am of course going to take them because doctors advice comes first. But where does this leave my Whole30?

I am so disheartened. I'm on day 23 and have been following the plan to the letter. Even turned down cakes and chocolates over my birthday weekend, went to BBQ s and gathering with no single slip ups. Given back edible gifts because I simply can't have them. 

Moderators - is there a ray of light here? Can I continue my whole30 or will the ingredients and effects of my medicine totally mess with any results?

Thanks in advance.

Nic

The sucrose isn't going to effect the gut reset, but the lactose might - even in such a small amount. But as you've said Drs order trump Whole30 rules & if you need ABs, then you have to take them...

If I were you I'd be taking probiotics (in food and/or tablet form) & bone broth alongside the ABs to try to minimise their impact on the gut, but other than that there's not a lot you can do other than leave a 30 day gap between finishing the ABs and reintroducing diary fully.

Sending healing vibes your way..........

• Moderators

Unfortunately, altho it's sometimes suggested to just take the offending ingredient (dairy) and leave it off for an additional 30 days after exposure, that's not now the gut healing works.  We remove ALL inflammatory foods for the full 30 days so that our guts are healed and in pristine condition and THEN we reintroduce foods.  When someone eats something (or takes a pill) that contains an inflammatory food, it resets the reset and any reintros are going to be skewed as your results may be partially due to the fact one's gut is not entirely healed.

That said, you can certainly continue your Whole30 as is (since Dr. orders trump W30), but bear in mind, your reintroduction might be skewed... 

Archived