PET Scan?

I'm a Lymphoma Survivor and I've had some sketchy things going on lately. I also have Hashimoto's Thryoiditis. I started my Whole30 Monday (6/5/17). I got a call from my oncologist yesterday and in light of my last ultrasound, my medical collective (oncology, endocrinology and neck surgeon) want me to repeat my PET. She stressed that it was not urgent, but she scheduled me for 6/23. I want to wait until after my Whole30 for a couple of reasons. 1) I want to wait my Whole30 to have the full effect on any inflammation I have, which is a lot. 2) I don't want to wreck the results of my efforts with the two big cups of glucose solution I have to drink before they inject me with radioactive glucose. I *am* going to run this past my onco to make sure that it's okay to wait til after my 30 days, but I wanted some validation here. Am I being completely coconuts? This was a HUGE decision for me and a MAJOR change. I want to slay my sugar dragon. I want to get rid of my carb cravings. I want to develop a healthy relationship with food. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. It's been too long now. 

Cheers. 
Sara

(ps - I did look for similar topics, but everyone else's posts talked about injection only. I have to drink two big cups of glucose before my PET scans.)

• Moderators

I think if your doctor is okay with you waiting, then you have good, logical reasons to wait, and you should do what you're comfortable with. If your doctor feels that your PET scan needs to happen sooner, I think you should do that, and consider the glucose you have to drink as prescribed medication. I've never done a PET scan, but my experience with stuff you have to drink for medical purposes is that it's usually not something you crave more of after, so I don't think it'll affect you psychologically, making you crave more sweets, and while two cups of sugar solution isn't something that's generally good to have, I don't think it's going to ruin your results at all.

Whatever you decide to do, I do hope your results give you definitive answers, and that those answers are the best possible ones you can get. 

Would you include a reintro phase before your revised appointment?

Drinking the glucose would fall under doctors orders 'trump' Whole 30. You and your doctor choose and decide what is the wisest course of action for you at this time.

Your health is more important than anything else in the world. Regardless if you drink it now or later, it sounds like you want to quit eating sugar. Period. 

You can do that now and after that test. 

Archived