Day 10

1 hour ago, BarbaraMW said:

I'm  on the dreaded Day 10.  Cranky as hell, no desire to eat, and if I look at another egg or piece of broccoli I might throw up. Can anyone relate?  Suggestions?  Thanks!!

I was feeling kind of crappy yesterday on day 9.  Feeling a little down, not feeling hungry, just generally blah.  Just know that it will pass as I feel much better today.  As for meals, I definitely switched it up yesterday to try to get myself interested in food.  I found that even though I wasn't necessarily feeling hungry, once I started eating it was easy to eat my meal.  Maybe switch in a new veg that you've wanted to try or make a new recipe that you've bookmarked?

Oh and definitely find something to do that you enjoy!  I took my dog for a long walk yesterday afternoon and listened to my favorite podcast.  It's my favorite way to unwind and just check out from reality.

Stay strong!  You got this!

• Moderators

I'm  on the dreaded Day 10.  Cranky as hell, no desire to eat, and if I look at another egg or piece of broccoli I might throw up. Can anyone relate?  Suggestions?  Thanks!!

Yes!  Don't eat another egg or piece of broccoli!  LOL, that's the simple answer... the real answer is, this is not uncommon.  Go through the forums, the Whole30 recipes on instagram etc... and find something that you've never cooked before that looks good.  Try something with a new flavor profile - www.meljoulwan.com is great for that!

Make sure you're adding FAT to every meal - maybe a little more than you think you should to help quash the cranky and drink your water... 1/2oz per pound of body weight is the goal... you'll get through it!

Plus, you only have to eat three times - the beauty of the program.  The rest of the 4-5 hours between meals is free time to do whatever makes you feel good when you're cranky (becasue I know you've been cranky before, we all have).  Bath, walk, garden, read, pet the cat/dog, nap... 

19 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

The rest of the 4-5 hours between meals is free time to do whatever makes you feel good when you're cranky (becasue I know you've been cranky before, we all have).  Bath, walk, garden, read, pet the cat/dog, nap... 

You left out snapping at my husband. That's all I seem to want to do! Poor guy :;

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, BarbaraMW said:

You left out snapping at my husband. That's all I seem to want to do! Poor guy :;

Haha... that's because I bet that doesn't ACTUALLY make you feel good.... I prescibe a cut of tea and a nap... partially because it's gloomy and slightly rainy here... 

11 minutes ago, BarbaraMW said:

Haha, I hear that one loud and clear!  I sent him to the movies because I felt so bad about snapping at him.  Thank goodness they love us!

3 minutes ago, orca_chick said:

BarbaraMW, how are you feeling today?

Thanks for asking!  Not much better than yesterday. It's weird. I feel hungry, but don't want to eat!  I'm hanging in though. Thanks again for checking on me!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BarbaraMW said:

Thanks for asking!  Not much better than yesterday. It's weird. I feel hungry, but don't want to eat!  I'm hanging in though. Thanks again for checking on me!

Bummer... well, eat anyway,.. sometimes we just have to push through :)

I am on day 10 today. I haven't seen any extra energy with this diet. I already went through the cranky phase Days 3-6. I thought i would notice a difference by now. I have been sleeping around 8 hours a night. I am 26 Years old. 175lbs, and may not be currently Gym active, But always doing hard labor in the evenings. I wake up and feel like i could sleep an extra hour and a half every morning... I have tried sleeping more and less to see if i need a certain amount of sleep. I have been drinking a decent amount of black coffee to help me stay productive at work.

Breaksfast= 2 Hardboiled Eggs, and apple or similar, To tie me over until lunch I have been snacking on some walnuts. Or ill have a 3rd boiled egg.

Lunch= Normally left over from Dinner the night before. Today I have speghetti squash with tomatoes, Tomato paste, Burger, Habeneros and seasonings.

Dinner= Tonight will be steak, Vegetables, and possibly sweet potatoes.

I snack threw out that day Vegetables & Fruit. I know that you are just supposed to eat 3 times a day. But i can't eat enough at one meal. I am not here to lose weight. Just to see how my body reacts to certain foods.

Reason why i started; Symptoms= Brain fogginess, Tiredness, bloating, Blister bumps on arms(Gluten Intolerance?), Vision has been depreciating over the past 3 years.

A friend said i might have a leaky stomache, but i already started this diet and want to finish it before i try something differen't.

Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Eclipse11491 said:

Any thoughts?

You could do with starting your day with a more substantial breakfast. What you've listed is low on protein & completely lacking in veg or fat, which is leading to your need to snack in order to make it until lunch. A template breakfast really is key to success. A breakfast like you describe however kind of sets the tone for the day & leaves you playing nutritional catch up, which is cumulative as the days progress.

What types of veg are you eating each day? Many can lead to bloating & gas, but without more detail it would be impossible to offer advice? Nuts can also cause digestive distress when eaten regularly... What fats are you adding to each meal? How much water are you drinking (coffee does not count & will often dehydrate - as well as acting as an appetite suppressant - so it's best to be limited)? Are you salting your food?

How much time do you spend outdoors? Do you switch your screens off an hour or so before bed? Have a regular bed/wake up time? Take a magnesium supplement?

On 6/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, orca_chick said:

I was feeling kind of crappy yesterday on day 9.  Feeling a little down, not feeling hungry, just generally blah.  Just know that it will pass as I feel much better today.  As for meals, I definitely switched it up yesterday to try to get myself interested in food.  I found that even though I wasn't necessarily feeling hungry, once I started eating it was easy to eat my meal.  Maybe switch in a new veg that you've wanted to try or make a new recipe that you've bookmarked?

Oh and definitely find something to do that you enjoy!  I took my dog for a long walk yesterday afternoon and listened to my favorite podcast.  It's my favorite way to unwind and just check out from reality.

Stay strong!  You got this!

Hey. Day 14!  I'm feeling really good. No cravings, more energy. Hard to believe as I was so addicted to sugar. Haw about you?

Hey. Day 14!  I'm feeling really good. No cravings, more energy. Hard to believe as I was so addicted to sugar. Haw about you?

Yay, so glad you're feeling better!  That 10 day hump is the hardest.

I'm doing pretty well, thanks!  Generally no cravings and feeling satiated during the day, which is awesome because I was that person that was always hungry until a few days ago.  I am having difficulty sleeping though, but that's not super unusual for me.  I'm hoping it will resolve itself soon.  My energy is pretty good considering though.   :-)

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, jmcbn said:

You could do with starting your day with a more substantial breakfast. What you've listed is low on protein & completely lacking in veg or fat, which is leading to your need to snack in order to make it until lunch. A template breakfast really is key to success. A breakfast like you describe however kind of sets the tone for the day & leaves you playing nutritional catch up, which is cumulative as the days progress.

What types of veg are you eating each day? Many can lead to bloating & gas, but without more detail it would be impossible to offer advice? Nuts can also cause digestive distress when eaten regularly... What fats are you adding to each meal? How much water are you drinking (coffee does not count & will often dehydrate - as well as acting as an appetite suppressant - so it's best to be limited)? Are you salting your food?

How much time do you spend outdoors? Do you switch your screens off an hour or so before bed? Have a regular bed/wake up time? Take a magnesium supplement?

Vegetables vary. Carrots, Sugar Snap Peas. Finger type Veggies. as snacks.

For Breakfast, Normally nothing,

For Lunch, it is usually a cooked Veggy, Brocolli, Brussel Sprouts, Summer Squash ETC...

Dinner is the same for lunch due to left overs..

As for Fats, All that we use is Olive oil for almost all of our cooking and regular fats that are in the meat that we eat. Also the reason we got walnuts was to increase my fat intake.

Water is normally 6-8 Bottles of water a day.

Outdoors has varied lately. I have been doing work on my vehicle so some of the Lawn work is getting behind. But normally 2-3 Times a week for a couple hours after work I am outside.

I have been salting  minimally.

About a half hour to an hour before bed i turn off electronics.

Regular bed time and wake up time. Average 8 hours of sleep.

I do not take any magnesium supplements.

Thanks

Again, you've not really given specific info on veg. Raw veg can be problematic, as can cruciferous veg (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel srpouts, cabbage etc), if it's raw AND cruciferous then that's a double whammy.... then you've high FODMAP veg, some of which ALSO fall into the cruciferous category....

You definitely need to be adding more - and different - fats. The oil you use for cooking pretty much stays in the pan, or is divided out between meals. Nuts are fine when eaten in moderation, but they contain inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids, so when eaten in volume (more often than a closed handful every other day) they can be hard on the gut, which will lead to bloating. How about some home made mayo? Avocado? Ghee/clarified butter? Coconut milk? Compliant bacon...? Olives? there are LOTS of options... Fat provides energy so don't skimp on it!

You haven't mentioned fruit at all in your breakdown above, and yet you said you snack on it throughout the day. Even the naturally occurring sugars in fruit will sap energy as they cause spikes & dips in blood sugar when eaten on their own. If you're eating more than the recommended 0-2 servings, and you're eating it on it's own then I'd definitely work on changing that. Also, if you DO have a leaky gut then those sugars will be wreaking havoc as they are often malabsorped...

Hope this helps.

Archived