Confused, moderators please help...

LauraOC

This great blog post was shared on the Whole30 Facebook page yesterday. However, I have questions & can't seem to get an answer there, not to mention my FB App is acting funky again.

This is the blog posted for breakfast ideas on Whole30:

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/whole30-breakfast-recipes/

However, as part of that post, these recipes are included as Whole30 breakfasts, which I thought we not compliant meals, according to the website & moderators on this forum.

http://www.codetowellness.com/creamy-coconut-noatmeal/

http://pureandsimplenourishment.blogspot.ca/2016/10/paleo-raspberry-coconut-oatmeal.html?m=1

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/sweet-fried-plantains-with-sea-salt-cinnamon/

I'm a moderator on a very large Whole30 FB group, and we try to be as up to date & accurate as possible with our information. We have always maintained that recipes like this are SWYPO & not compliant according to the template. Can you please clarify for me, as I know I'm not the only one confused by this, since it was posted by the official Whole30 FB folks.

Thank you!

• Moderators

Okay, good that you came here for help.  I'll contact Shanna about this because I don't have Facebook but I can see from the links that the first two are absolutely a no go.  The plantains are okay but remember they're a starchy carb so the recommendation is a fist sized serving a day to start, more if you're very active/athlete or a woman near her time of the month or a person who struggles with mood disorders. (not that starch can cure a mood disorder, but it can help keep things more steady... if you're reading this and you have an undiagnosed mood disorder, please see your doctor).

what was the context of the other two... did the article say anything about 'not all these recipes are Whole30'?

I'm not a moderator but I would think the "noatmeal" recipes are a no go since they're SWYPO and technically not a template meal.  The plantains should be ok as part of a template meal though (or at least I hope so because I have been eating plantains cooked with coconut oil and cinnamon as part of my meals).

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

<snip>

what was the context of the other two... did the article say anything about 'not all these recipes are Whole30'?

Pretty much "Are you tired of bacon and eggs? Well switch things up!!! Here's a ton of recipes without eggs." 

• Moderators

Okay ya... so I took a look at the blog post and there are also smoothie bowl recipes and something with 'paleo sour cream'.  Those are also no go's.  It's possible that the article got posted without the W30 team reading all 75 recipes... fair enough, they're only human.  Use what you know about Whole30 and question everything, even things that get posted that seem wrong... you know they're wrong :)

I've emailed HQ and let them know so hopefully they'll get back but it's Saturday and I know MH is at the GoPro games and I'm not sure the rest of the team works on the weekend (I hope not!).  Tell your group to apply the template, the rules and the recommendations to anything they find on the internet... :)

23 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay ya... so I took a look at the blog post and there are also smoothie bowl recipes and something with 'paleo sour cream'.  Those are also no go's.  It's possible that the article got posted without the W30 team reading all 75 recipes... fair enough, they're only human.  Use what you know about Whole30 and question everything, even things that get posted that seem wrong... you know they're wrong :)

I've emailed HQ and let them know so hopefully they'll get back but it's Saturday and I know MH is at the GoPro games and I'm not sure the rest of the team works on the weekend (I hope not!).  Tell your group to apply the template, the rules and the recommendations to anything they find on the internet... :)

Thank you so mch for your reply & the information. You supported our stance on these kinds of recipes & blogs claiming their creations to be "Whole30." 

I will pass this along to our other moderators & the group!

Hey guys! Just chiming in here, since it's my post and my huge OOPS! Someone help me put together that post and I didn't catch those three recipes, so I apologize for the confusion. I know all too well that smoothie bowls and n'oatmeal shouldn't be on there! Cheers everyone!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, realfoodwithdana said:

Hey guys! Just chiming in here, since it's my post and my huge OOPS! Someone help me put together that post and I didn't catch those three recipes, so I apologize for the confusion. I know all too well that smoothie bowls and n'oatmeal shouldn't be on there! Cheers everyone!

Awesome, thanks for chiming in Dana!  I didn't know you were on here, otherwise I would have tagged you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Help me understand why the N'oatmeal is not Whole 30, especially if the protein powder is optional?  Is it because it doesn't have a protein or what?  I didn't see any ingredients that are not legal.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RevCKay said:

Help me understand why the N'oatmeal is not Whole 30, especially if the protein powder is optional?  Is it because it doesn't have a protein or what?  I didn't see any ingredients that are not legal.

This doesn't specifically call out N'oatmeal, but it's the same as the article https://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

Additionally, it does not have protein in it, it can be fat and fruit heavy and you're not learning to eat a proper breakfast of protein, veggies and fat if you're trying to recreate oatmeal.  Whole30 is as much about changing your relationship with foods as it is changing the actual foods.  It's only 30 days... when you're done, if you want it as part of your food freedom, go for it!

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, RevCKay said:

Hi @RevCKay - this falls under the "no recreating non-compliant foods with compliant ingredients". Oatmeal is a standard breakfast item that would not be permitted on Whole30. Recreating it with compliant ingredients is a last clinging to old habits for a lot of people and thus, it is ruled out. The recommendation is to eat protein, veggies and some fat at every meal. Fake oatmeal isn't compatible with the template. We really encourage people to embrace the new and step away from old habits and fallbacks and really get into going a different way. Steak, brocoli and avocado is a great breakfast. Chicken salad over spinach. Soups with shredded beef or chicken. Pulled pork and coleslaw. Try something new?

Archived