Super irritable

I'm on Day 10.  The last few days I've felt GREAT in the morning (it's almost scary how chipper and happy I've been) and then as I move into the afternoon/evening, I start to get super cranky and irritable.  To be honest, I don't prep as well as I should which means some days I have to spend extra time cooking and/or planning my next meal.  It's possible I'm hangry but I don't necessarily feel that hungry when my mood changes.  I do think the Whole30 has thrown my hormones off (my cycle seems to be off) so it's possible I'm just irritable from that, but I'm not sure.  Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.  Thank you!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

I'm on Day 10.  The last few days I've felt GREAT in the morning (it's almost scary how chipper and happy I've been) and then as I move into the afternoon/evening, I start to get super cranky and irritable.  To be honest, I don't prep as well as I should which means some days I have to spend extra time cooking and/or planning my next meal.  It's possible I'm hangry but I don't necessarily feel that hungry when my mood changes.  I do think the Whole30 has thrown my hormones off (my cycle seems to be off) so it's possible I'm just irritable from that, but I'm not sure.  Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.  Thank you!

Hey there - irritablility at this stage of the game is almost ALWAYS due to not eating enough.  Can you give us some idea of what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, water intake, exercise etc?

Thank you for your help!!  I only started tracking from Day 5.  I cook everything in either ghee or coconut oil (and try to add extra if I feel like I'm not going to have enough fat with the meal).  I drink a lot of water/sparkling water throughout the day.  Nut serving side below is usually a handful.  I did my best with other sizes.  Aside from daily walks, I haven't exercised since Day 6.

Day 5
am - coffee w/coconut cream, cinnamon
10:30 - carrots, almonds, ranch, 2 hard-boiled eggs
2:00 - steak 4oz, vegetables
6:15 - RXBar
9:30 - tandoori chicken (2 thighs), potatoes (3 small)

Day 6
7:45 - 2 scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, salsa
12:30 - cabbage, carrots, tandoori chicken (1 thigh), almonds, apple, tesaamae's ranch (too much, didn't finish)
5:30 - peach, cantaloupe
7:20 - ground beef 1/3lb, 2 eggs, onions, coconut amines

Day 7 - worst day
12:00 - RXBar
2:00 - almonds
5:00 - pistachios
6:00 - sweet potato (1), ground beef & onions (1/3lb), coconut aminos, salad, cantaloupe

Day 8
10:00 - 2 eggs, potatoes, onions, nectarine
3:30 - apple, coleslaw, tessamae's, hot dog w/mustard, pistachios, larabar bite (small)
9:15 - spicy tuna cakes (2), green beans, onions, peppers

Day 9
8:00 - tuna cakes (2)
11:00 - walnuts, orange, tomato, 2 hard-boiled eggs, tessamae's ranch
3:00 - RXBar
7:00 - coconut chicken nuggets (1/2 lb) w/mustard, sweet potato fries (handful), tessamae's ranch

Day 10 (today)
8:00 - 2 eggs, tomato
1:30 - 2 tuna cakes, mixed veggies, kombucha

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

Thank you for your help!!  I only started tracking from Day 5.  I cook everything in either ghee or coconut oil (and try to add extra if I feel like I'm not going to have enough fat with the meal).  I drink a lot of water/sparkling water throughout the day.  Nut serving side below is usually a handful.  I did my best with other sizes.  Aside from daily walks, I haven't exercised since Day 6.

Day 5
10:30 - carrots, almonds, ranch, 2 hard-boiled eggs
2:00 - steak 4oz, vegetables
6:15 - RXBar
9:30 - tandoori chicken (2 thighs), potatoes (3 small)

Day 6
7:45 - 2 scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, salsa Vegetables??  FAT??
12:30 - cabbage, carrots, tandoori chicken (1 thigh) One thigh is not nearly enough protein., almonds, apple, tesaamae's ranch (too much, didn't finish)
5:30 - peach, cantaloupe If you're hungry between meals (which is not out of the realm of possibility since you're not eating enough, go for protein and fat, not fruit on its own.
7:20 - ground beef 1/3lb, 2 eggs, onions, coconut amines FAT?? Veggies?

Day 7 - worst day
am - coffee w/coconut cream, cinnamon Meal 1?  Where is it?  As a matter of fact, where is meal 2??
12:00 - RXBar
2:00 - almonds
5:00 - pistachios
6:00 - sweet potato (1), ground beef & onions (1/3lb), coconut aminos, salad, cantaloupe Fat??

Day 8
10:00 - 2 eggs, potatoes, onions, nectarine FAT?
3:30 - apple, coleslaw, tessamae's, hot dog w/mustard, One hotdog is not enough protein for an adult human. pistachios, larabar bite (small)
9:15 - spicy tuna cakes (2), green beans, onions, peppers Fat?

Day 9
8:00 - tuna cakes (2) Veggies? 
11:00 - walnuts, orange, tomato, 2 hard-boiled eggs, tessamae's ranch
3:00 - RXBar
7:00 - coconut chicken nuggets (1/2 lb) w/mustard, sweet potato fries (handful), tessamae's ranch Veggies other than starches?

Day 10 (today)
8:00 - 2 eggs, tomato
1:30 - 2 tuna cakes, mixed veggies, kombucha

Okay so I made some notes.  Basically I wasn't wrong and you're not eating enough.  Do you notice that your self proclaimed worst day is where you ate exactly almost nothing?  Three template meals a day is the absolute minimum an adult needs to survive (not thrive).

I added notes about fat to your meals because we don't generally count cooking fat... that gets left in the pan and often split into portions so don't count it.

You eat a LOT of nuts... recommendation is to limit to one closed handful every other day at most (about 7-8 almonds for example) and you're eating them daily and sometimes multiple times a day (I assume because you're hungry).

Fruit on its own is not recommended either and if you're hungry between meals, protein and fat are your friends.

Finally, you don't have many veggies... recommendation of starchy carbs is 1 fist sized serving a day to start but the rest of your three plates a day should be filled with other non starchy veggies... that's about 3-9 cups a day... you're definitely not getting there from what I can tell.

Suggestions: 1. ditch the nuts and fruit and make template meals three times a day.  2.Eat within 1 hour of waking and wait to have your coffee until after your first meal.

I absolutely guarantee you're crabby because you're hungry and yes, hormones play a part but balancing your hormones and getting a good sleep/wake/satiation rhythm doesn't work if you don't eat three full meals a day...

19 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay so I made some notes.  Basically I wasn't wrong and you're not eating enough.  Do you notice that your self proclaimed worst day is where you ate exactly almost nothing?  Yes, this is why I said it was my worst day.  My morning was abnormal so I didn't have time to make anything to eat.  I don't know why I didn't eat lunch, but obviously that's bad!  Three template meals a day is the absolute minimum an adult needs to survive (not thrive).

I added notes about fat to your meals because we don't generally count cooking fat... that gets left in the pan and often split into portions so don't count it.  So if it doesn't get counted, do I even have to use it?  Ghee actually grosses me out after a while and high quality coconut oil is expensive.  I've been using extra because I thought it could be counted towards fat but if not, I'd rather not even use it as much (unless of course it's going to impact the flavor).

You eat a LOT of nuts... recommendation is to limit to one closed handful every other day at most (about 7-8 almonds for example) and you're eating them daily and sometimes multiple times a day (I assume because you're hungry).  I eat a lot of nuts because I figure that's a good way to get more fat into my diet.  Guess that's not the case.

Fruit on its own is not recommended either and if you're hungry between meals, protein and fat are your friends. Again, the reason I eat nuts, but I also love fruit.  I can cut back on that.

Finally, you don't have many veggies... recommendation of starchy carbs is 1 fist sized serving a day to start but the rest of your three plates a day should be filled with other non starchy veggies... that's about 3-9 cups a day... you're definitely not getting there from what I can tell.  You're right.  It's too much food.  I'm having a hard time eating so much.

Suggestions: 1. ditch the nuts and fruit and make template meals three times a day.  2.Eat within 1 hour of waking and wait to have your coffee until after your first meal.  Waiting to have my coffee seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but honestly, I don't even like my coffee anymore because of what I can't put in it.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't actually like the flavor of black coffee, so if I can't have it the way I want, I'd almost rather not have it at all.  But I do like the caffeine so maybe I'll try to get that in a different way.

I absolutely guarantee you're crabby because you're hungry and yes, hormones play a part but balancing your hormones and getting a good sleep/wake/satiation rhythm doesn't work if you don't eat three full meals a day...

Day 10 (the rest of the day)
6p - madras chicken salad over coleslaw (with chipotle mayo instead of regular mayo and tessamae's ranch)

Day 11 (today) (up @ 7:30)
9a - chicken sausage, 2 eggs, tomato, coffee with coconut milk + cinnamon

I really appreciate your help.  This is super helpful.  I just don't know how I can eat much more.  It's clear that I'm hungry during certain times since I'm not eating enough, but I often get full when I do eat and after a while the taste of the food just gets bad.

@SugarcubeOD

Day 12

This morning I had zero desire to eat and I couldn't even finish my breakfast - it made me want to throw up.  I had ground chicken (which I only took a couple bites of), two small potatoes and a tomato.  Yuck.  Of course I'm hungry now, but any help?  I'm really having a hard time wanting to eat in the morning.  I can't think of anything I would want to eat.  And the idea of sitting down and eating doesn't help either.  I just want to grab something and go.  I'm completely fine about eating the rest of the day, but mornings are pretty bad.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

@SugarcubeOD

Day 12

This morning I had zero desire to eat and I couldn't even finish my breakfast - it made me want to throw up.  I had ground chicken (which I only took a couple bites of), two small potatoes and a tomato.  Yuck.  Of course I'm hungry now, but any help?  I'm really having a hard time wanting to eat in the morning.  I can't think of anything I would want to eat.  And the idea of sitting down and eating doesn't help either.  I just want to grab something and go.  I'm completely fine about eating the rest of the day, but mornings are pretty bad.

Here's an article that one of the Whole30 team wrote about breakfast that might help?

https://whole30.com/2017/05/i-hate-breakfast/

Honestly, the only way to get around it is through it...   There's some great advice in the article which is exactly what we tell people... plate a template meal, eat as much of it as you can, wrap it up and take it with you to eat from again as SOON as you're able to stomach, not waiting for the next meal OR hunger persay.  Also, your meal 1 is missing fat :(

@SugarcubeOD - thank you for sending this article.  Unfortunately, my meal was pretty much missing protein as well since I didn't eat all of the chicken sausage.  I'm really having trouble with the fat as well.  I can't think of anything fatty to include.  I really don't like avocados (unless it's guac and I can only stand to eat so much of that).  Then I think of nuts, which I guess I'm not really supposed to have.  I don't buy bacon because I can't find any compliant and it's too expensive to order online.  I don't even like tomatoes, which is the veggie I've been adding to my breakfasts because it's easy.  I'm going to really focus this weekend on prepping stuff for next week so I can be more prepared.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

@SugarcubeOD - thank you for sending this article.  Unfortunately, my meal was pretty much missing protein as well since I didn't eat all of the chicken sausage.  I'm really having trouble with the fat as well.  I can't think of anything fatty to include.  I really don't like avocados (unless it's guac and I can only stand to eat so much of that).  Then I think of nuts, which I guess I'm not really supposed to have.  I don't buy bacon because I can't find any compliant and it's too expensive to order online.  I don't even like tomatoes, which is the veggie I've been adding to my breakfasts because it's easy.  I'm going to really focus this weekend on prepping stuff for next week so I can be more prepared.

Um... I can imagine that aside from eating in the morning if that's hard for you, you're making it MORE hard by trying to force yourself to eat something you don't even like?  How about chicken salad on greens?  You can eat anything in the am, so figure out something that you know you'd likely eat anytime it's handed to you and then eat that.... leave off the yuck stuff!

Mayo, pesto, chimichurra, olives... all good fats.

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Um... I can imagine that aside from eating in the morning if that's hard for you, you're making it MORE hard by trying to force yourself to eat something you don't even like?  How about chicken salad on greens?  You can eat anything in the am, so figure out something that you know you'd likely eat anytime it's handed to you and then eat that.... leave off the yuck stuff!

Mayo, pesto, chimichurra, olives... all good fats.

Where are the fats in the eggless breakfast recipes here?  https://whole30.com/2017/01/eggless-breakfasts-3/  Unless you add the avocado, it seems like the fat is completely missing.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

Where are the fats in the eggless breakfast recipes here?  https://whole30.com/2017/01/eggless-breakfasts-3/  Unless you add the avocado, it seems like the fat is completely missing.

Ya, in all those, you'd add fat and for some, like the sausage patties and the breakfast loaf, you'd also want to add veggies... it's a bit of a misnomer that they're 'breakfasts'... more like protien options outside of eggs that you then use as a base to build a template meal.

@SugarcubeOD ugh, so tonight for dinner I had the burger bites from nom nom that included caramelized onions and guacamole and now I feel terrible. I had 4 burger bites, about 1/4 lb, maybe 4 T of guac and half an onion (caramalized). I'm bloated and feel like I need to go to the bathroom but can't. I thought for sure this was the perfect meal so I don't know what happened. This is the first time I've had stomach issues since I started on 6/2. 

3 hours ago, angiej936 said:

I don't know what happened

3 hours ago, angiej936 said:

caramelized onions

Onions are high FODMAP and high in sulphur, and can be problematic for MANY people - causing gas, bloating, stomach cramps etc. Add to that the fact they were caramelised and for some that would be a recipe for distaster as this process heightens their natural sweetness. I'd lay off of the onions for a while.

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

Onions are high FODMAP and high in sulphur, and can be problematic for MANY people - causing gas, bloating, stomach cramps etc. Add to that the fact they were caramelised and for some that would be a recipe for distaster as this process heightens their natural sweetness. I'd lay off of the onions for a while.

I eat onions all the time and have been since on the Whole30 without a problem. But this is the first time I had them caramelized since on the Whole30. I'll skip caramelizing them the next time I have them. Thanks!

So this morning I had 2 eggs, guacamole and 2 small potatoes.  I realized that the guacamole has red onions in it (and I put extra since I don't like avocado but love red onion) and I thought maybe that was what was causing my problem.  I haven't had red onion in a long time (I usually eat yellow or white).  It didn't bother me today though so maybe it was the white onion.  But I still had a somewhat difficult time eating my breakfast.

One thing that did happen was I developed a small itchy rash on my calf that I used to get all the time when I was younger, but it hasn't resurfaced in probably 10 years.  So my menstrual cycle has been thrown off, I felt terrible last night for the first since starting the Whole30 and now I have a returning rash??  Ugh.  I thought it would get easier but I'm definitely going through a rough patch right now.

Archived