fueling while training for a marathon

beatakf

I am training for a marathon and just went from 20-25 miles a week to 30-35 miles a week. I also cross train. I eat a big breakfast and then I am not hungry. I make sure I eat lunch but only because if I didn't I would get a migraine. I don't snack, just eat 3 meals a day. It is very strange for me to run more and not be hungry more. Is it because I am eating quality foods with lots of protein? I don't want to eat less and my running to suffer. I also make sure I eat plenty of approved carbs. Could I eat less if I am not hungry? I know, this is not what you are used to...

This is a problem I wouldn't mind having, I must admit. :)  More seriously, if you feel good and your performance stays the same or better, I wouldn't worry about it.  If you notice that you have lost more weight than you wanted to or your performance starts to suffer, then I'd look more closely.

ThyPeace, if your body says it has enough fuel, it's okay to believe it.

The places where I'd watch carefully are after your longest runs of the week, when you need to make sure you have had enough carbs to rebuild your glycogen stores.  If you've done this three times before, I am sure you know more than I do about dragging around with no energy because you have no energy!  Lots of folks will say that becoming fat adapted means that you still have to go through that, to which I say phooey.  You can Whole30 and still get enough carbs to do distance training.  It does take thought, though.  Sweet potatoes and other root vegetables are good friends.  

I'd also make sure that you have a steady stream of protein at every meal.  It's part of the template, and it's another area where, as a long distance runner, you may find that the change in diet makes a difference.  Not enough protein will make your body repair itself more slowly, leading to a different kind of "I can't function" than the above glycogen mess.

And if this is your first time without gels and electrolytes, do make sure to try it all out as soon as you can.  Dates rolled in salt and potassium chloride if you are a salty sweater, for example, can really be good to know about long before the race itself.

ThyPeace, and now I am completely out of knowledge about fueling and hydrating for distances.  

@beatakf, while I'm not training for a marathon, I've also noticed that I'm not nearly as hungry during the day after a hard workout than I was before Whole30.  I think it's because you're feeding your body the right nutrition, and becoming fat adapted means your body isn't constantly searching for easy-to-burn carbs.  I have noticed, though, that I'm feeling low energy during my workouts/runs.  This morning (day 21) was the first time my legs didn't feel sluggish during my workout, but I didn't have a lot of running (a lot of rowing this morning instead).  I ran a 10k race this past Saturday, and my legs felt like they totally ran out of fuel at mile 4.  Sounds like you're already a decent way into your Whole30 and running a lot, so maybe you're not noticing this issue.  I agree with @ThyPeace that you should probably figure out a mid-run fueling/electrolyte strategy sooner rather than later for your marathon.  If you're still on Whole30 during your marathon, keep in mind that you won't be able to get electrolytes from Gatorade at the water stops (that sucked during my 10k because it was really humid - all I wanted was one cup of Gatorade near the end!)

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Pascale C said:

I am on week 2 of whole30 and my marathon training is suffering.  Please help!!!

Would you like to share what you've been eating, what your training is like, what your pre and post workout meals are like, what your expectations are?  It's pretty hard for us to help you with zero info...

Pascale it took me 2-3 weeks to feel good while on whole 30. I say keep going and it gets better, it really is worth it. 

I run right now 30-35 miles a week and its going up. Before my short runs I don't eat anything unless I wake up hungry and then I have some juice. Post every run I have my normal breakfast: 3 eggs, plantain, half an avocado and some fruit. I pretty much have the same thing with some variations every day. Before my long run I eat 2 hard boiled eggs, banana, some almond butter and 1 glass of tart cherry juice. When I eat breakfast I am not hungry until lunch and that is usually left overs from dinner. Dinner is usually chicken, beef or fish, sweet or regular potato and lots of veggies. I just want to make sure with what I eat is enough to fuel my training and so far I can tell it is. 

Thanks@beatakf!  I am doing a long run a week right(increasing progressively) up to July 23 with shorter runs during the week.

I usually do my runs in the morning and pre-whole 30, I never really ate anything before the run but fueled on Nunn electrolytes and sports jelly beans (they are both out now because of the added sugar).  If I ate something prior to the run, I would eat a belvita cracker or half a fig bar, or half a cliff bar.  I know whole30 suggest you eat before a work out but food doesn't sit well in my stomach.  

After a run, I usually get am more thirsty than hungry and pre-whole30 I would make a smoothie and drink that and then eat something small like a hard boiled egg or something really refreshing. 

Also, the past couple of days, I feel very depressed and have lost appetite.

@SugarcubeOD, I would just like to have my energy back as my long run yesterday pretty much sucked and I slowed down a lot, and I mean a lot.   Yesterday, I fueled on half a larabar, half a packet of Justin's almond butter and hydrated on Zico coconut water.  

Don't give up!  And DO listen to your body.  Going from gels and beans to anything else is HARD.  So drink up, and yes, definitely have good fuel.  You might try dates -- they're almost as pure a sugar as the beans and gels.  And check your electrolytes -- do you need salt or potassium or magnesium?  And get some sleep because, well, sleep is always good for what ails you.

If you keep feeling awful, consider seeing a doc.  For now, though, treat yourself well.  The last thing you want (this I know all too well) is to get injured from pushing when you shouldn't.

ThyPeace, injured.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Pascale C said:

@SugarcubeOD, I would just like to have my energy back as my long run yesterday pretty much sucked and I slowed down a lot, and I mean a lot.   Yesterday, I fueled on half a larabar, half a packet of Justin's almond butter and hydrated on Zico coconut water.  

Okay well we don't encourage fuelling on sugar for workouts because it prevents or defeats fat adaptation, which is probably the spot you're stuck in where your body wants to switch to fat burning... the more you give it sugar (lara bar, zico), the less it has to switch.

Any other advice you want, such as why you may feel fatigued, you would need to give more information as listed in my previous post.

Thank you @beatakf and @ThyPeace.

@sugarcubeOD, I was eating well first week and a half.  

What I have been eating: omelettes, frittatas in the morning; I've had chicken, boiled eggs, carrot soup, etc

What my training is like, pre and post workout meals are like: 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:34 AM, Pascale C said:

I usually do my runs in the morning and pre-whole 30, I never really ate anything before the run but fueled on Nunn electrolytes and sports jelly beans (they are both out now because of the added sugar).  If I ate something prior to the run, I would eat a belvita cracker or half a fig bar, or half a cliff bar.  I know whole30 suggest you eat before a work out but food doesn't sit well in my stomach.  

My expectations: To run with energy.

Hey all! I'm also marathon training. I'll be honest I have finished the Whole30 but decided to keep going after a week off. So I've reset.

I did a long run of 12 this morning at a 9:33 pace. This is pretty good for me seeing as I am 11 months out from having a baby.

For pre run breakfast it's either 2 eggs with some sweet potato, apple, onion hash or a banana with almond butter.

During my run I stop for 30 seconds or so and drink water (I mix in a little coconut water before for added electrolytes) eat a date and 5-6 salted dry roasted almonds. Half way through my run I will have half or a whole larabar.

Post run I have 2 or 3 eggs, spinach sautéed with a tomato or some more hash. 

My body feels good, I feel fueled and hydrated, and my energy is good throughout my run. 

Hope this helps!

Archived