Mayo....GRRRREAT!!!

Susan W

Okay, after making many many batches of mayo using my immersion blender, for some reason, this morning's batch was a broken mess. I tried to save it with another yolk, but it just never came together. So, I pouted for a while and then made another batch. I have to have my mayo. Another EPIC fail. Keep in mind, I am using exactly the same fresh eggs from pastured chickens and same light flavored olive oil, 1 TBS of lemon juice..I've changed nothing! The only thing I can think of is that there is something different about the eggs or the lemon juice.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom..I think you solved it. I bought a bag of lemons at Trader Joes. They look like Meyers Lemons to me. It even tasted milder than my usual lemons. I didn't know that made a difference. I was either blaming it on my eggs (yolks seemed a little small to me) or the lemons (had to blame something). I am going to buy some ACV just to have on hand for emergencies. Actually, maybe I will even go to a 1/2 T lemon and 1/2 T ACV. Okay, trying again tomorrow. :)

Okay, I am officially irritated by both of you. ;0) I'll get over it by tomorrow though. I thought the lemon (or whatever acid) was important to the emulsion. It must not be if Melissa uses none. Sigh. I am going to go make some ghee to restore my confidence. :)

In Well Fed the other Melissa says she always uses bottled lemon juice because it has a more reliable acidity...so try that maybe? Or try without?

Yup...I'm going to try it without and stir it in at the end if I miss the flavor. I just can't figure out why now..after so many perfect mayos. So very odd.

Okay, I tried without as Melissa suggested and just for kicks, I went and got the other brand of pastured eggs that I buy. The mayo broke again. On a whim, I tossed it into my cuisinart and it came together perfectly. I stirred in my fresh lemon juice by hand and it's perfect. So..I think I have decided it's my immersion blender pooping out. It could be my imagination, but I don't think it sounds as powerful as it did. I've had it for years, although it hasn't been used much until I started making mayo. I'm thinking I need a new one.

Thanks for all these tips! I haven't made mayo yet. It intimidates me. I'll get over it. :)

It's one of those magical concoctions that all variables have to be right. One thing wrong and it's a fail. So much fun to make though. Seriously, I got to the point where I could make it in my sleep. Then WHAM! 3 epic fails in a row. I really do think it's my immersion blender though. I'll be shopping for a new one tomorrow.

I really do think it's my immersion blender though. I'll be shopping for a new one tomorrow.

I have a Breville Control Grip immersion blender, which I really like. Comes with extra choppers & whippers & cups & stuff.

If you are using uber fresh eggs from pastured chickens from a local farm (even Whole Foods sells these) then it lasts a looooonnnnggg time. Someone here said there's has still been good after a month. The expiration on the egg carton will help. I've never had it around longer than a little over a week. I use it a lot for my healthy fat.

If your blender is slowing down then add you oil MUCH slower.... You can make mayo in a bowl with a wisk ( good shoulder workout) if you add the mayo in a slow trickle.... You are trying to form an emulsion.... The yolk proteins attach to the oil and the liquid (****geek alert.... Similar to a micelle in polymer chemistry ) if the oil " overwhelms" the yolk protein to fast it just breaks up..... Fixable by adding more liquid and reblending....then more oil to thicken.....careful or you'll wind up with 2 gallons!!!!

If your blender is slowing down then add you oil MUCH slower.... You can make mayo in a bowl with a wisk ( good shoulder workout) if you add the mayo in a slow trickle.... You are trying to form an emulsion.... The yolk proteins attach to the oil and the liquid (****geek alert.... Similar to a micelle in polymer chemistry ) if the oil " overwhelms" the yolk protein to fast it just breaks up..... Fixable by adding more liquid and reblending....then more oil to thicken.....careful or you'll wind up with 2 gallons!!!!

Oh, see...with an immersion blender, you get to put all the ingredients in the beaker at once. It's magical and wonderful. When I was a Julia Childs addict, I loved making mayo with a whisk, but my new life LOVES the immersion blender method. It truly was my blender crapping out. I read the same thing all over Amazon in the reviews of all home immersion blenders. Unless we choose to buy a commercial immersion blender (to the tune of over 200 bucks), it's going to happen. I don't want to go back to drizzling oil, so my new Breville immersion blender is sitting in all it's glory on my counter. It's very pretty. :)

Being" very pretty" is the most important thing when it comes to household appliances... Lol :).

Breville makes great stuff....... I have two at work, very handy for small batches, works almost as well as the BIG Robot Coupe 3/4 HP model that cost as much as a small car.... ;)

I never add lemon juice to the mayo mix. I find it waters it down too much, and I can always squeeze lemon over the dish after the fact. (And I've never had a mayo fail... Not that I'm bragging...)

Melissa

NEVER?!

Jesus...

slw, this happens to me often. Sometimes I have the mayo mojo, sometimes I don't. It's frustrating.

NEVER?!

Jesus...

slw, this happens to me often. Sometimes I have the mayo mojo, sometimes I don't. It's frustrating.

Lol. I suspected she was super human and now I am positive. :) Renee when you have a mayo tragedy, have you been able to save it or do you toss it?

depends on how weak my mojo is. I never toss it, though. If I've wasted 3 eggs trying and still can't get it, I throw it in a baggie with some chicken to marinate it.

I wont tell you how many batches I tossed. I may have already admitted it though. Pouring it into my cuisinart and adding an egg yolk saved my last batch. Mayo is a weird thing.

I've had mixed results with mayo, maybe because of the varying acidity of the lemons! I recently got a Vitamix, so I will have to try making mayo in that instead of my immersion blender method. I think I'll also try bottled lemon juice; Costco has an organic one that looks good.

What oil are you all using? I'm debating picking up some MCT oil, as most of what I make is too "olive oil" tasting, unless I use the super-light which is probably full of other (unlisted) junk oil.

I've tried avocado oil (eww) and half/half concoctions with melted coconut oil, without much success. I confess, I haven't ponied up for the expensive oils I've seen in some of the cookbooks. Frankly, I can't justify spending $10 for a cup of oil to use for mayo.

I use Bertolli Extra Light (flavored) Olive oil. Robin was the one who suggested it and it's perfect. I tried using extra virgin and as much as I love it on salads, I did not like it in mayo at all. The Bertolli is 100% olive oil, but some of it is more refined and then mixed with extra virgin which is why it's light flavored. I think Robin okay'd it because we aren't cooking with it which is when refined oils become nasty. I load up on it when it goes on sale.

I thought for sure Avocado oil would be delish.

Archived