Hiking Snacks?

PawPrint53

This is more on the order of "what can I have" rather than "can I have." I'm actually doing the sugar craving reset from the Food Freedom Forever book so I hope I can ask questions about that here. Since I can't have nuts or dried fruits, I'm wondering what kinds of things to take on a 10 miles hike. I've tried baby carrots, which are okay, but don't seem to provide the energy I tend to need at the end of a long hike with elevation gain. I prefer something that doesn't need to be on ice because I don't want to carry the ice pack. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Moderators

Hardboiled eggs? roasted chicken and avocado?  Unless it's screaming hot, you can probably deal with just taking your items out of the fridge and then eating them at the end of your hike.  If you don't feel comfortable doing that, what about freezing a water bottle and popping it in with the snacks?  Then you'll consume the food AND the water so you're not carrying superfluous stuff :)

Baby carrots are not going to provide you anything but potentially a stomach ache.  If you're actually working at this hike, then you need actual sustenance and a baby carrot, while cute and tasty, isn't really the right thing here... 

Try looking through the travel and athlete sections of this forum and use google 'whole30 hiking' for instance to find ideas... this has been discussed a LOT on here.

Beef Jerky, cold chicken and sweet potato, packets of tuna or salmon (check for compliance, of course.)  Apples, oranges.  I really like taking baby food - packets of pureed squash or zucchini or whatever.  (Portable! Convenient! Easy to digest!  I've actually spent a ridiculous amount of time in the baby food section doing cost/weight/calorie assessments.)  Sugar snap peas.  Coconut flakes. Olives.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PawPrint53 said:

Great idea about the water. I hadn't thought about sweet potatoes so that's definitely a possibility. Not a fan of the yolk of hard boiled eggs, but the whites work for me. Thanks for the ideas.

Yolk is where the fat and nutrients are, so you may want to consider something different then if you don't like hard boiled eggs... the one thing I've heard about is scrambling eggs and then packing them in a ziplock bag (after they've cooled)... tastes good and easy... if you don't like that idea, I'd go for chicken or sliced roast beef or something... egg whites are kind of in the same category as baby carrots... fine, but not really the thing for hiking...

• 2 months later...

I do a fair amount of hiking and always carry snacks. Because I loathe baby carrots, they aren't an option...

I like tangerines for the juicy sweet taste and refreshment. If they're out because of sugar concerns, I'd definitely go for some roasted diced sweet potatoes. Also consider tuna fish mixed with Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo, celery, real carrots, cucumber and red peppers, perhaps sprinkled with salt.  An excellent snack, crunchy and tasty.   

PS: Aren't egg yolks a critical part of Whole30? 

Archived