Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

Sounds like everyone is doing great. I have been very busy and haven't had a chance to check in. This is my day 2 and doing better than I thought I would. I am doing this round very low carbs for the 1st 14 days to do a hug candida hit per my nutritionist. I know that my energy will be low during this time because I am not doing carb veggies or fruit. I thought I would feel worse (knock on wood) than I do so I am happy about that. I do miss the fruit and sweet potatoes though. I do need to be careful on the nuts and olives. I realized I was doing too many because of my cravings for fat & salt. I ate a lot of fast food before this so that is probably why I am craving them. I can't do avocados so I am trying to find out where else to get the fat aside from nuts and olives. I can just taking extra olive oil or a compliant oil along with the food as well but that is not as tasty. 

I also need to stay away from garlic, onions, most peppers, & cooked tomatoes because of allergies or stomach upset. I can get away with some citrus but I have to be careful because they can cause canker sores in my mouth. I need to remove pork from my diet because of the inflammation it can cause and go down to red meat only 1 time per week. 

Yesterdays food:

Scrambled eggs, spinach

tilapia fish, brocolii, zucc, & yellow squash

Shrimp ceasar salad with home made compliant dressing

left over tuna salad, zucc & jicama sticks

I did need to snack because of the low carb but I lasted longer that I have before. I discovered if I do 2 veggies instead of 1 I can eat more of it and not get sick of it and not finish the meal. That helped

Sounds like everyone is doing great. I have been very busy and haven't had a chance to check in. This is my day 2 and doing better than I thought I would. I am doing this round very low carbs for the 1st 14 days to do a hug candida hit per my nutritionist. I know that my energy will be low during this time because I am not doing carb veggies or fruit. I thought I would feel worse (knock on wood) than I do so I am happy about that. I do miss the fruit and sweet potatoes though. I do need to be careful on the nuts and olives. I realized I was doing too many because of my cravings for fat & salt. I ate a lot of fast food before this so that is probably why I am craving them. I can't do avocados so I am trying to find out where else to get the fat aside from nuts and olives. I can just taking extra olive oil or a compliant oil along with the food as well but that is not as tasty. 

I also need to stay away from garlic, onions, most peppers, & cooked tomatoes because of allergies or stomach upset. I can get away with some citrus but I have to be careful because they can cause canker sores in my mouth. I need to remove pork from my diet because of the inflammation it can cause and go down to red meat only 1 time per week. 

Yesterdays food:

Scrambled eggs, spinach

tilapia fish, brocolii, zucc, & yellow squash

Shrimp ceasar salad with home made compliant dressing

left over tuna salad, zucc & jicama sticks

I did need to snack because of the low carb but I lasted longer that I have before. I discovered if I do 2 veggies instead of 1 I can eat more of it and not get sick of it and not finish the meal. That helped

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, Aurora Blue said:

Well done on day 1 everyone!

Day 2 I woke up with a headache as well and feel soooo tired today, almost fell asleep at work a couple of time and that is not like me, I think it must be caffeine withdrawal as I drink a lot and have decided to give that up as well.

Breakfast was Spanish frittata again which I struggled to eat with half a banana and some cashews. I was so hungry by about 11am that I had to have a little snack of nuts and an apple. Lunch was salmon fish cakes with veg and sweet potato and apple bake and dinner is lettuce pockets with chicken thighs, prosciutto, peppers and mayo, it's so pretty and absolutely delicious, my fav so far.

IMG_3225.JPG

yummy!!

On 6/20/2017 at 9:26 AM, The Cool Mom said:

Started yesterday!  I'm very much looking forward to sharing the journey with my fellow Whole 30'ers.  I'm a recipe developer, currently modifying my favorites for the Whole 30 lifestyle.  I'll be happy to share the results!  

That would be so great. Thank you

19 hours ago, Nshansen5 said:

Hi, I started the 19th as well. Lots of eggs, sweet potatoes, and made some eggs with veggies  in a muffin pan. I've found myself to be snacking quite a bit though on all compliant things but up until now have been pretty hungry. Maybe tomorrow it will get better. Is everyone doing just three meals? 

If you haven't already seen the meal template look at it. https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf I have just found that I need more food on my plate so I don't get hungry later. Although I am having a harder time today eating it all. If you are really hungry, i.e could eat fish and broccoli or whatever are foods you aren't fond of, then eat. Also check your water intake. Sometimes I have found that I am not hungry but I am thirsty. If you have been a 4-5 small meal a day person like I am it will get some getting used to eating more at each meal and not eating more often but hang in there. Hope that helps.

17 hours ago, Jonathan Ferrantelli said:

Hello June 19thers! Just peeking my head in here. My biggest worry is going to be DRINKING. I'm excited to do this, but the elimination of that emotional crutch is freaking me out :) Much love and support to all! X

You can do it. I was a very heavy drinker over the last few years. Both of my parents died. I have been 8 days without the alcohol. Glad you are hear. Just ask for support and you'll get it. There are some amazing people here that are really helpful

@Another Melissa Finishing up day 3 and all of the above of what you mentioned! So cranky and also super tired.  I took a quick snooze as soon as my husband got home.  Seriously exhausted.  

Did enjoy super delicious taco meat from the crockpot on spinach with acocado. 

Hoping Day 4 is easier than today! 

Been a pretty sluggish day 3. Funny, I am tired in the afternoon/evening, but at night I tend to be wide awake...might need to focus on my meal times. 

I am struggling with making plans for meals, and really surprised by how large many of the other meals I am seeing people eat. Really going to make the effort to eat at the same time everyday, as this 30 is as much to help provide discipline in my life as improve my eating habits.

I also realized that I have been uber focused on available approved condiments/sauces/dressings to jazz my meals up. Picked up some Primal Kitchen mayo and dressings. Made some awesome buffalo sauce with Ghee and hot sauce, and made some compliant ketchup for toppings. Going to look for some Tessamae's tomorrow, it looks like they have some great options. I am hoping this isn't against the spirit of the plan, and unhealthy food psychology, I have always loved variable hot sauces and food toppings...

Also for sure going to pick up some cauliflower rice from Trader Joe's, sounds way better than my last attempt to make it for myself! What lettuce are y'all using to make those tasty little food boats? I need to get with some of that! Anyone out there used Pork Belly for meals in the past? Have not seen any compliant bacon, was thinking of giving this a go. Keep up the good work everyone, Cheers!

So I wrote a big long post last night at the end of my day 3 and managed to lose it, normally I'd just write it again but last night I thought sod it and didn't bother, that kinda summed up my day yesterday! 

We're  on day 4 guys, we are rocking this!

After seeing everyone's posts yesterday I'm going to make some different stuff today to last me over the weekend, sweet potato hash, taco meat (doing this in slow cooker, hope it will be ok on low for 8 hours!) and I made pulled pork yesterday in the slow cooker, yum!

Hope you all have a great day 4!!

Here's to day 4!  Hoping it comes with more energy than day 3.  

@AlpineViking I found some great complaint bacon at whole foods.  It says "paleo" right on the packaging.  Seriously couldn't even tell it didn't have all the junk in it by the taste.  It's very good.  I believe it's called Pederson's bacon.  

Anyone else use nutpods in their coffee?  I used to have a Starbucks every single day so was a little nervous about finding new coffee replacements.  I've been making coffee at home and adding nutpods and it is so good.  

Hope everyone's day 4 goes well!

1 hour ago, MissTraci said:

Here's to day 4!  Hoping it comes with more energy than day 3.  

@AlpineViking I found some great complaint bacon at whole foods.  It says "paleo" right on the packaging.  Seriously couldn't even tell it didn't have all the junk in it by the taste.  It's very good.  I believe it's called Pederson's bacon.  

Anyone else use nutpods in their coffee?  I used to have a Starbucks every single day so was a little nervous about finding new coffee replacements.  I've been making coffee at home and adding nutpods and it is so good.  

Hope everyone's day 4 goes well!

Good morning MissTraci!

Question, I bought the bacon you mentioned and I agree it's very good! On the nutrition chart it says sugar 0 grams, didn't it say in the book somewhere if sugar is listed we're not suppose to use it even if it's 0 grams? I've not been able to find a few other items without the same listing. 

Day 4, bring it on!

Hi everyone!  I thought I'd jump in on this thread since I started June 19 as well.  (I've been reading and lurking ;))

Here's my scoop ...

I did my first Whole30 maybe 2-1/2 or 3 years ago.  This is my 4th time.  The last time I did a Whole60 to see if there was even a higher feel-good point.  This was when Food Freedom Forever came out and I rocked my Food Freedom really well.  A few quick resets here and there and I stayed feeling great.

I'm currently on a hiatus from work and am using this time for travel and social fun, etc. but, even so, I've been able to keep my FF and find good balance.  BUT, after two big vacations back-to-back and a bunch of "special" occasions hitting fast and furious, I'm completely off the rails.  I planned to do a few days, maybe a week, as another mini-reset, but realized that's not enough.  So another Whole30 is in the works.

It's a relief to know I'll be back to my healthy, feel-great normal soon.  I've had to do some re-planning to cover me for the next two weeks (then the calendar clears out!), but it's manageable and, most importantly, WORTH IT!

Good morning,   How is everyone doing so far?   

We are learning to make sure we eat our protein and good fats each meal so we can last the 4-5 hours without a snack!  I made sure to let my body know that 'I was in charge' now --- although  I suspect 'it' was mocking me behind my back. 

What I miss the most is that splash of milk in my morning coffee.  the nut-milks don't work.  Waiting for 'Nutpods',  a Whole30 compliant creamer from Amazon to arrive in the mail.  Hope it works.

Plan to roast 2 whole chickens today, so we have plenty of leftovers plus enough bones to make bone broth, 

Take care...     we can do this!!

4 hours ago, Ljoatl said:

Good morning MissTraci!

Question, I bought the bacon you mentioned and I agree it's very good! On the nutrition chart it says sugar 0 grams, didn't it say in the book somewhere if sugar is listed we're not suppose to use it even if it's 0 grams? I've not been able to find a few other items without the same listing. 

Day 4, bring it on!

Hey Ljoatl!  

I wrote about the wrong bacon. :o  I had read about someone talking about Pederson bacon at whole foods but the one I purchased is Wellshire (sugar free Dry rubbed bacon).  Ingredients are : Pork, Sea Salt, Spices (Black Pepper, Fenugreek, Nutmeg, White Pepper, Mace, Allspice).  It does say sugar 0 grams on the nutrition facts but I'm pretty sure that is just automatically listed on most things.  The ingredients are all compliant.  (Happy dance!)

@Miss Kitty  Nutpods are amazing!  They have completely helped me not crave my morning Starbucks latte that I used to get.  Hope you enjoy them too!!

3 minutes ago, MissTraci said:

Hey Ljoatl!  

I wrote about the wrong bacon. :o  I had read about someone talking about Pederson bacon at whole foods but the one I purchased is Wellshire (sugar free Dry rubbed bacon).  Ingredients are : Pork, Sea Salt, Spices (Black Pepper, Fenugreek, Nutmeg, White Pepper, Mace, Allspice).  It does say sugar 0 grams on the nutrition facts but I'm pretty sure that is just automatically listed on most things.  The ingredients are all compliant.  (Happy dance!)

@Miss Kitty  Nutpods are amazing!  They have completely helped me not crave my morning Starbucks latte that I used to get.  Hope you enjoy them too!!

OK great. Thanks!

@AlpineViking I use romaine lettuce or bib lettuce when I make my boats or wraps. I think they 'hold a lot' better.  For those that are looking for W30 approved bacon, these are some great selections from Penderson Farms http://pedersonsfarms.com/whole30-approved/. I know it can be defeating when you go and can't find w30 ingredients you are looking for. 

@sojurabbit, I know it can seem overwhelming, but YOU GOT THIS!! If I make tacos, I typically have a taco salad and my husband eats the tortilla, cheese, and other products I shall not name because it is making me hungry. Have you thought about 'breaded' tenders for the family? I've used this recipe before and even my husband liked themhttps://www.pinterest.com/pin/449585975292266483/. Your sides might be different but at least it's just sides rather than 3 different meals. Keep it up! 

Day # 3 went well. Had my typical bacon, veggie and scrambled eggs, and some fruit for breakfast. I am a "no talkie before coffee" kinda gal, so coffee is a must. I typically drink my coffee black but the nutpods @misskitty mentioned sound amazing!  I'm going to have to look into that more. Lunch was a big salad, turkey, and fruit. I feel like I'm a rabbit eating all this green. But, in hindsight, I'd rather be a  rabbit than a refer! ha! I really need to research more lunch recipes. However, I'm not a fan of tuna or chicken salad. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about making w30 compliant hamburger patties on the weekend for lunch next week. Dinner, I did the hash with compliant sausage, peppers, onions,jalapeños, and sweet potatoes. I doctored it up with tons of spices  and it tasted so good! I loved the sweetness of the onions and the spiciness of the peppers.

Day # 4- Had the typical breakfast. Need to find something to add a little variety for next week. Maybe w30 sausage balls? I could make a huge batch this weekend. Lunch, I'll have leftover hash and dinner tonight is taco salad. I'm out of ideas for tomorrow, so i'll have to think of something... back to the grocery store. 

I'm so glad everyone is still at it and going strong. I love how everyone in this group is so positive and uplifting. It makes it comforting knowing you have the extra support when you might not have temptation at  home!! :) 

Just stopping by to say "Hi" and tell everyone their meals look amazing! I had some really bad cravings last night (for dark chocolate), but I just drank some water and went to bed about an hour early. So far this hasn't been too terrible, but I think it's because I've been doing 80/20 (Well, probably more like 70/30, TBH) Paleo for years. Well, Day #4 is half over and I hope you all had a great day!

Hey all, how's day 4 treating you all?

I've had a reasonable day. Had scrambled eggs, bacon and tomatoes for breakfast, pulled pork (delicious cold!) with mayo and a huge salad for lunch and taco mince with new potatoes and lettuce for dinner.

i haven't been irritable today as I was expecting but still really, really tired after lunch, I'm gonna get caught snoozing at my desk if I'm not careful.

Also  haven't wanted to eat everything but really struggled to eat dinner to the point I felt quite ill after eating it. I just think my body is not used to all the nutrient rich food. 

Im finding the meal planning is getting easier by keeping it simple and making the protein portions in large batches so I can portion it all up and have it all ready  in the fridge to just grab and eat.

Hope you're all having a good day, roll on day 5!

Everybody sounds like they're doing great. I've been doing surprisingly well but then again I also started to prep by cutting stuff out of my diet before I started. Since I knew I was going to have to cut out fruit and starchy vegetables I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be really sick when I started. I am a little irritable and I'm starting to crave fast food pretty hard today. So I'm drinking my water and that is helping.

I'm a little concerned with the fact that I am running out of protein. I'm on my last today and half of tomorrow and don't have a whole heck of a lot of time to go grocery shopping and prep. So I'm gonna have to try and figure that out. All the recipes look great wish I could try some of them.

Day 5 is much better than 4.  I was really craving some fresh fruit tonight after being out in the heat and had some frozen mixed berries and they tasted amazing!! 

I like the nutpods in iced coffee, but not so much in hot coffee.  My favorite is the vanilla and I ordered it on Amazon. 

I made the BBQ sauce from the cookbook and it's...ok.  

Very hungry tonight and trying to just make it to bed! 

31 minutes ago, Another Melissa said:

Day 5 is much better than 4.  I was really craving some fresh fruit tonight after being out in the heat and had some frozen mixed berries and they tasted amazing!! 

I like the nutpods in iced coffee, but not so much in hot coffee.  My favorite is the vanilla and I ordered it on Amazon. 

I made the BBQ sauce from the cookbook and it's...ok.  

Very hungry tonight and trying to just make it to bed! 

Another Melissa I really hope you're right about day 5! Today started great but went down hill this afternoon. I was tired more cranky then yesterday and really craved something sweet. I most likely overdosed on grapes but better that than jellybeans right?!

OK now and headed to bed. Good luck to all and see you day 5!

When I think of my last whole 30 a year ago and the one I did in 2013. I am in a much better place physically. It is very nice and to have more stamina and not as exhausted. I am hoping this time I can get some tiger blood because I have never experienced it because of the adrenal failure I have been recovering from. I am hoping that by the end of this year or early I will be able to recover garlic, onions, peppers, cooked tomatoes and citrus. All of your recipes and the recipes in the book look so great but some I just can’t do.

I have been very sluggish today and my brain is fuzzy. I am forgetting a lot of things so I will be glad when that passes. I am already sick of veggies. I am going to have to branch out and find other ones and different recipes that I can eat. I just have to remember I only have 9 more days and I can add back fruit and starchy veggies. I wish I could drink coffee that nutpod sounds so good. Oh I forgot to say. I am also off all carbonated drinks and caffeine for the durations. My mantra now is “this too will pass.” I am going to upload Melissa’s comment how this isn’t hard. Fighting cancer is hard…. There is a great section where she talks about it and I will need to keep it on me. As I get further in the cravings are getting stronger.

Food

Home made turkey sausage, steamed cabbage, & Mexican squash

Turkey burger, broc, swiss chard, & asparagus

Cucumber & 2 bits of chicken (I got really hungry)

Shrimp, mixed greens w/ home made balsamic vinager, some zucchini & jicama sticks.

I made it through day 3 yay me!!

http://forum.whole30.com/profile/39884-ejsmadhatter/ I have IBS so am also off lots of additional things like garlic, broccoli, cauli, sprouts, mushrooms and coffee!!! It really hard to find a variety of veg to eat but I may start reintroducing these thing once I'm feeling better. On the plus side I was really relying on coffee to prop me up in the day so it's kinda nice to be off that even though I miss the taste so much!

So far, so good.

Day 4 went well.  I'm starting to feel some of the good stuff from eating healthy again -- up early and easily, bloat is down, natural hunger in the morning.  The downside this first week is a big dip in my workout energy.  It always happens - darn it.  I thought since I'm doing less cardio and I'm lifting regularly, it wouldn't be an issue this time (I was all running-cardio last time). But it zapped my energy for lifting too.  It passes, so I've learned to not freak out as much about it :P

I'm also adjusting to no snacking in the evening.  It was hard last night.  I have a college kid home for the summer so my pantry is stocked with snacks.  It's much easier when we go back to empty nest (and empty pantry).  Good news is hubby is on a clean-up too (not Whole30 - God forbid :o he eats vegetables for EVERY meal), but that helps.

I LOVE the W30 recipes and cook them regularly, but this week I tried two new ones.  I'm obsessed with Melissa's chicken hash (the recipe is on her blog).  I've made it 3 times already.  It has an unusual flavor (you need to like vinegar a lot), super easy to make and no one in my family likes it (yea - all for me!!).   I also made a crockpot carne asada -- delicious and easy too.  That one the family likes, so it's almost gone.

Have a good Day 5 all!!

Ready to rock Day 5... Ok yesterday.  One period of frustration and feeling very hungry.  Determined not to snack.  I weight-lift X5 a week ... 40 minutes each workout starting at 5:30am.    Not sure if I totally get the pre-post Whole30 workout strategy.  

--> Pre-workout: Right now I eat a banana with sunflower butter drizzled on top.  Post-workout :    I eat my regular breakfast within 30 minutes.  Couple eggs, spinach, squash, blueberries, almond milk. 

Bright spot in the day...  I remember reading in my Whole30 book that you can eat as many eggs as you can hold in your hand.  Our daughter, who is also on Whole 30 sent a picture of our 16-year old, 6'4" granddaughter holding 10 eggs in one hand quite comfortably.  Good grief....

Archived