USA Today saying....Coconut Oil now bad for you!?!?!??

RanktheTank

I can't find the actual study that's referenced, but here are some thoughts:

1. The American Heart Association is about the worst organization out there for health advice. They recommend <6% of your diet be made up of saturated fats. That's simply asinine. Historically, there are healthy groups of people that get up to 70% of their diet from saturated fat. I wouldn't shoot for 70% myself, but eating 20%-30% of your diet from saturated fat is historically something that many groups of people have done and have been very healthy.

2. They claim coconut oil, like other saturated fats, raises LDL levels. So what? LDL isn't "bad" cholesterol like everyone claims. There are two types of LDL cholesterol: type A and type B. Type A is actually good for you; Type B is bad. Saturated fat raises Type A, not type B. Furthermore, saturated fat raises HDL along with LDL so your profile actually improves since total cholesterol is basically irrelevant and ratio of HDL:LDL is a better indicator. It blows my mind that people don't get this. You know who has really low LDL levels? Alcoholics, and (shocker) that's not a good thing. Your body needs LDL to perform basic functions.

I'm not saying that the canola oil people are behind this but I think there are more than a few large companies who are being hurt financially by our new obsession with coconut oil. 

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory...

Archived