Low energy, need high calorie whole 30 meals

I know part of the plan is to not count calories so I haven't been I am on day 7 of my second round of the program. However I have been so tired these last few days and I counted my calories that I had eaten and basically, every day I'm getting around 1100 give or take. (I'm 5'10). I don't really eat any of the whole 30 sauces because Im a picky eater and i think most of them are gross. I also don't like sweet potatoes. Does anyone have any high calorie whole 30 meals or really easy compliant fats that I could add to my food? Has anyone else had this issue?

• Moderators

what sauces did you try and what didnt you like about them? There's a lot of different kinds, maybe we can find some you would like.

Are you eating at the upper end of the meal template for each meal, and including pre- and post-workout meals on days you work out? There are tips in this article:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/   but it really boils down to, eat more, and specifically more calorie dense options like starchy vegetables and fats. For fats, avocado, mayo, olives, coconut in any form, occasionally nuts and seeds, compliant bacon sometimes if you can find it, and oils. You can also choose fattier cuts of meat, so salmon instead of tuna, skin-on chicken.

Opt for cooked vegetables over raw most of the time, just because you can eat a greater volume of them. If you have salads, add denser vegetables to them, like beets or other roasted root vegetables, or have them along with your salad. Have potatoes, root vegetables, winter squashes, pumpkin, jicama.

@slc_melissa i like olive oil and ghee I cook all of my food in it. I can stand an avacado every once in a while but never two days in a row i think they're pretty unpleasant. Even when I'm not on whole 30 Ive never liked salad dressing, the vinegar taste is not good to me. 

Chimichurri and pesto are two of my favorite sauces and are olive oil based.

Do you like plain olives? (Kalamata and green are my favorites.) Grab a handful.

You didn't say yay or nay to coconut?

What about other squashes if you don't like sweet potato? Thai or Indian curry with squash and coconut milk is awesome.

Can I ask why you are doing another whole30 if the last one made you miserable?

There are no rules about salad dressings having vinegar in them, although many contain some sort of acid. Olive oil&a squirt of lemon is great. Sesame oil and coconut aminos.

Other things to try: Tapenade, Muhamarra, "hummus" made with cauliflower. Artichoke hearts marinated in olive oil. Try sunshine sauce (skip the rice vinegar if so inclined: http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/)

You seem to keep referring to some list of sauces "we made almost all of them." But then implied tomatoes and mayo were in them. What list and what type of sauces. You didn't eat a single thing you liked for a month? (I happen to dislike mayo so I never eat it.)

• Moderators

Like slc_melissa said, pesto sauce, or chimichurri, or the Moroccan dipping sauce at the bottom of this recipe -- all of those are good over any meat or vegetable and they're not mayo or tomato based. Sunshine sauce can be mixed into stir fries or used for dipping meat or vegetables in -- I like it paired with these Asian Meatballs, which call for chopped sweet potato, but if you cooked the sweet potato and mashed it into the mixture instead, you probably wouldn't notice them, or you could sub canned pumpkin or butternut squash instead.

You can look for recipes that incorporate fat into them -- like these green beans with almonds and coconut milk, creamy blended soups with coconut milk, or this Spinach & Artichoke dip obviously the no-cheese version (they call it a dip, I thought it worked nicely as a creamed spinach side and would've run it through the food processor to get it more dip-like). 

If this is very different from how you're used to eating, it can be a lot of work to change how you eat, but it can be done, even for the pickiest of eaters. Look at recipes, there are tons out there that are either already compliant or can easily be altered to be. There's bound to be some that will work for you. 

And if you really hate sauces so much, nothing wrong with a straight shot of olive oil. (I've been known to do this on camping trips when I've needed to refuel a lot of calories.)  Eat a Palm size of protein, a bunch of veggies, take a swig of olive oil.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

And if you really hate sauces so much, nothing wrong with a straight shot of olive oil. (I've been known to do this on camping trips when I've needed to refuel a lot of calories.)  Eat a Palm size of protein, a bunch of veggies, take a swig of olive oil.

LOL! That's hardcore sister!  I"m impressed!  I've done the coconut oil floating on top of coffee (it doesn't emulsify with just a spoon) when I was on a sailing trip out in the middle of nowhere... it's a weird texture but it tastes good and makes your lips glossy ;) 

@slc_melissa @SugarcubeOD i think i might just have to go with the shot of oil at this point, im not opposed. 

And yes I disliked most of the things I was eating the last time I did the program but I lost so much weight the last time that I'm trying it again. However, i have moved and now I have fewer resources so the cooking this time has been a lot more difficult. 

Archived