Steroids...I'm hungry!

Unfortunately, I'm on day 16 of my Whole30 and I had to start prescription steroids for a reaction I'm having to lotion.  

The steroids, as a side effect, make me feel hungry.  I'm sticking to Whole30 foods, obviously, but do you think it would be okay for me to snack?  I had a big breakfast (cut up potatoes and sweet potatoes, two eggs, salsa and guacamole) and I feel myself getting hungry already!  Help! 

• Moderators

Hey there

Yes, I think it would be reasonable to snack but under the following recommendations.  If you are going to eat, make it a mini meal of protein and fat.. no nuts, dried fruit, nut butter or fruit on its own.  Second, do the litmus test every time... are you hungry enough to eat steamed fish and plain steamed broccoli?  If so then yes, eat.  Sometimes the side effects of these meds are called hunger but they should be called 'cravings'.  If it's cravings, you'll not want to eat the fish but be quite happy to eat a banana covered in almond butter... if you would eat the fish, then yes, mini meal it up!

Also, just as a general recommendation, eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's 3-4 to start for most people so you're already undereating breakfast... eat to the top end of the template, don't skimp on fat or protein or veg... 

Archived