Started May 1 and here's where I'm at....

ConnieRaeOH

Thought I would post this for some perspective and inspiration for those trying to complete the 30 days! I started on May 1 and did complete the Whole30. In fact I've turned it into a Whole90 and am still going strong.

Some background, I am a healthy middle aged female who exercises consistently and everyone around me would think of as super-healthy. I used to do a lot of road races and triathlons, then I did bodybuilding (informally, not competitively). The truth was I was addicted to sugar and always felt I had to over-exercise to compensate. I was increasingly chronically inflamed and injured. And since a hysterectomy, I was gaining weight in spite of everything. I wanted to lose 10-15 pounds, as a benchmark.

Almost the entire Whole30 I was miserable!!! I craved sugar constantly. I mean like every waking moment. I did not feel good. I did not have energy. I did not have miracles happening. My skin would clear up and break out again. I only kept going because a.) I'm very very stubborn and b.) I had a couple of friends with very inspiring stories. But at any rate-- the first few days hurdle, the two week hurdle-- I did not have those!!

It wasn't until around the middle of the 4th week that I started to feel better. The way of eating was more of a habit for me, and I stopped having constant sugar cravings. I decided that since I had only started feeling the benefits, I would commit to 90 days.

Then I went for my annual gynecological visit and my weight was WAY up. I don't weigh myself regularly (and didn't during the Whole30) so I don't know when it happened, but it was very discouraging. 

I'm now on Day 54 and for the first time, I am losing weight. I am 4 or 5 pounds down, which for me is great. In the past without a strict diet, my weight has only gone one direction!

I would just tell people not to rely too much on the idea that everything will change for you in 2 weeks or less. Even if you are already fit and healthy. You just don't know how your body is going to react. I was very sugar addicted and it took a month for my body to start running on fat, and another 2-3 weeks to really start burning body fat.

Just consider that you know you are doing the right thing, and that habits build up over time!!

Thank you so much for sharing! It is good to know that benefits do come even if they take a little longer! I'm on Day 2, I made it 19 days the first round before I realized that I hadn't been reading labels closely enough on some packaged meats and hadn't really been clean so decided to do a reset.  It was only in the one or two days leading up to my reset that I started feeling better. Likely some of that had to do with the fact that I wasn't 100% on plan. 

Archived