What About Cooking With Wine?

Lori F

In my Life After Whole 30, I am mainly eating Whole30-ish, making conscious decisions on deviations.  I have been wondering about cooking with wine.... Some recipes just don't taste the same with the wine substitutes I have experimented with using.   My understanding is the alcohol burns off so it is not like drinking alcohol.... is that right?  My guess is maybe my recipe would have some added sugar due to the wine in the recipe?   Does anyone know more about the science of cooking with wine (what is left after the alcohol burns off if indeed it does)?  Anyone who has added back cooking with wine experience any issues/problems regarding how they feel?

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Lori F said:

In my Life After Whole 30, I am mainly eating Whole30-ish, making conscious decisions on deviations.  I have been wondering about cooking with wine.... Some recipes just don't taste the same with the wine substitutes I have experimented with using.   My understanding is the alcohol burns off so it is not like drinking alcohol.... is that right?  My guess is maybe my recipe would have some added sugar due to the wine in the recipe?   Does anyone know more about the science of cooking with wine (what is left after the alcohol burns off if indeed it does)?  Anyone who has added back cooking with wine experience any issues/problems regarding how they feel?

Have you done any research online about these questions?  We generally don't give advice on how to cook with or use the added back items that people choose to use in their food freedom.  The science of cooking with wine is outside the perview of the forum and you'd be better off searching out some cooking forums (french cooking uses wine so that might be a place to start) or just googling 'what happens when you cook with wine'.

Archived