Cravings and Irritability in the 2nd week - please help!

CattyG

Hi there.  I'm a 45 mommy/wife/woman, with three kiddos under ten and I finally hit my limit with weight gain (about 15 lbs.) and chronic lethargy.  I decided my cycle of eating (gluten free and a lame attempt at Paleo) with a glass of wine or two (and sometimes three) at night just was not working.  The drinking made me exhausted and crabby in the morning and simply exacerbated my desire to eat crappy food.  That being said, I started the Whole30 and am on day 13 and have been incredulous about how easy the first week was.  I didn't crave a thing! But the last four days have been brutal!  I began craving a glass of wine beginning on day 10, 11, 12 and now 13, perhaps due to an inordinate amount of stress and it's amazing to realize what a habit and ritual it had become as a supposed stress reliever!  I have resisted the temptation but have been feeling irritable and whiny and frankly a bit agitated these last four days. I'm waiting for the miraculous "amazing" Whole30 feeling to wash over me and it hasn't quite happened yet. :)  Also, I'm certain I've lost a bit of weight but nothing dramatic.  I'm getting a bit frustrated...could anyone please share any words of wisdom about when all of this fabulousness really kicks in as I want to stay the course!?!  I've read a ton about it and know that nothing extraordinary is promised in the first few weeks but testimonials from real folks are always the most motivating!  Thank you!!

Hi Catty, I've posted this elsewhere, but in just under a month, I have gone from being "pre-diabetic" - and that was a kind diagnosis - to well with normal; blood pressure from  130/90 WITH medication to 110/74 WITHOUT medication; and I am not missing most of the foods I've eliminated.  I had to give up alcohol before I did the Whole 30, that is still a challenge so I feel your pain there; all I can say is I am sold on the benefits of seeing this through.  Good luck!

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, CattyG said:

Hi there.  I'm a 45 mommy/wife/woman, with three kiddos under ten and I finally hit my limit with weight gain (about 15 lbs.) and chronic lethargy.  I decided my cycle of eating (gluten free and a lame attempt at Paleo) with a glass of wine or two (and sometimes three) at night just was not working.  The drinking made me exhausted and crabby in the morning and simply exacerbated my desire to eat crappy food.  That being said, I started the Whole30 and am on day 13 and have been incredulous about how easy the first week was.  I didn't crave a thing! But the last four days have been brutal!  I began craving a glass of wine beginning on day 10, 11, 12 and now 13, perhaps due to an inordinate amount of stress and it's amazing to realize what a habit and ritual it had become as a supposed stress reliever!  I have resisted the temptation but have been feeling irritable and whiny and frankly a bit agitated these last four days. I'm waiting for the miraculous "amazing" Whole30 feeling to wash over me and it hasn't quite happened yet. :)  Also, I'm certain I've lost a bit of weight but nothing dramatic.  I'm getting a bit frustrated...could anyone please share any words of wisdom about when all of this fabulousness really kicks in as I want to stay the course!?!  I've read a ton about it and know that nothing extraordinary is promised in the first few weeks but testimonials from real folks are always the most motivating!  Thank you!!

Almost 100% of the time when someone is feeling like you are at this stage of the game, they are not eating enough.  If you would like to list out what youv'e been eating for the last couple of days including portion sizes related to the template (not oz or grams), specific veggies, fruit, fat, protein, fluid intake, workouts, pre and post workout foods... basically anything you feel would be relevant, then we can see if there's something that stands out.  It IS possible, given your own description of 'inordinate amount of stress' it's possible that it's that... also, as we realize that we aren't able to use our normal 'medications' like food and alcohol in order to numb our feelings, we end up having to feel them.. for some people, that's a first or at least a first in a VERY long time... it's something you just have to process and push through, developing alternate coping techniques (bath, jog, pet time, read a book, call a friend) that are more healthy and sustainable.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried any of the Whole30 drink recipes? I'm siding into week 4 of the program and we've hosted at least 4 bbq's which typically involved heavy food and lots of alcohol. I tried the Blood Orange Paloma, the white tea "sangria" and the sparkling blackberry lime tea on different occasions and they were really refreshing and satisfying and kept me from feeling deprived at the parties. Give it a shot! 

• 1 month later...

I felt this way last week a lot -- all weekend, on my days 11-14. I know exactly what you are going through. It's pretty hellish, actually, and I did try to eat more, and that helped a bit. Just keep on going, do not get discouraged, and maybe reflect on the ways and reasons you are doing this for your health and your future. Watching them grow up and being a good example for those little ones is a big motivation for me. My 6 year old ate my whole30 compliant dinner of shrimp guacamole and steak last night -- and I was proud to help her make healthy choices too. The hardest is when she wants me to prepare stuff that I can't eat, and it smells so good. Frustrating. But then I think about all the yummy things I can eat, and make a huge breakfast and keep on trucking. Stay strong.

Archived