Start date July 1

Jen9426

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I, along with our two boys (5 and 11) will be starting on July 2nd. It will be interesting to see how our boys handle no crackers, chips and cookies though we are really looking forward to the mind and body benefits of this program. If any of you come across great kid-friendly recipes, I would love some help in that area. Our boys are great about veggies and such, it's just finding some quick and easy lunches that will be the key for us.

Wishing you all success!

Wendy

I've discovered I prefer veggie pasta (zoodles or spiral carrots) over the "real" thing - carrots in particular are sweeter than pasta so I would guess kids would like that.  I bought a spiralizer for $16.99 that I love and have been making my own veggie pasta for a few weeks now

Hi! :)  I am brand new to Whole 30 and will be starting tomorrow morning.  i have struggled with many food allergies/sensitivities  (gluten, yeast, eggs, dairy, tomatoes, mushrooms, cranberries, asparagus, and scallops) over the past few years and have had to tweak my diet accordingly so I am not sick.  It has been hard as many of the things I am sensitive to are foods that I love but when I consume them the pay off is truly not worth it.  I just read Whole 30 Guide and ordered It Starts with Food.  I know my body needs a reset and I would like to lose some weight.  I am afraid breakfast will get boring since I cannot have eggs.  I usually snag a cup of oatmeal so I just need to come up with some new ideas.  Tomorrow morning will be sweet potato mash with onions and apples. Maybe almonds on the side for protein?

RickandWendy, I have six children (ages 2 to 15) and often for lunch I throw together Snacky Lunch (works for supper too) =  fruit tray ( could be as simple as apple slices with a nut butter... or mixed berries) , veggie tray (our standard includes peppers, pea pods, cukes, tomatoes, pickles, olives, carrots) , hard boiled eggs, hummus (not Whole 30 compliant but maybe there's an alternative... guacamole? or cauliflower hummus?), and lean meat roll ups.  If i put the roll up on a toothpick and garnish it with an olive, pickle, or banana pepper the kids think I am amazingly fancy. :D   I like Snacky Lunch because I can prep it in advance, it's easy, and it's healthy. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MaineacMom said:

Hi! :)  I am brand new to Whole 30 and will be starting tomorrow morning.  i have struggled with many food allergies/sensitivities  (gluten, yeast, eggs, dairy, tomatoes, mushrooms, cranberries, asparagus, and scallops) over the past few years and have had to tweak my diet accordingly so I am not sick.  It has been hard as many of the things I am sensitive to are foods that I love but when I consume them the pay off is truly not worth it.  I just read Whole 30 Guide and ordered It Starts with Food.  I know my body needs a reset and I would like to lose some weight.  I am afraid breakfast will get boring since I cannot have eggs.  I usually snag a cup of oatmeal so I just need to come up with some new ideas.  Tomorrow morning will be sweet potato mash with onions and apples. Maybe almonds on the side for protein?

RickandWendy, I have six children (ages 2 to 15) and often for lunch I throw together Snacky Lunch (works for supper too) =  fruit tray ( could be as simple as apple slices with a nut butter... or mixed berries) , veggie tray (our standard includes peppers, pea pods, cukes, tomatoes, pickles, olives, carrots) , hard boiled eggs, hummus (not Whole 30 compliant but maybe there's an alternative... guacamole? or cauliflower hummus?), and lean meat roll ups.  If i put the roll up on a toothpick and garnish it with an olive, pickle, or banana pepper the kids think I am amazingly fancy. :D   I like Snacky Lunch because I can prep it in advance, it's easy, and it's healthy. 

Almonds are a fat for the purposes of Whole30.  Nuts/seeds are also recommended to be limited (think a closed handful every other day at most.. that's about 6-7 almonds)

Thanks Sugarcube!  I realized my  blunder after submitting my post. The Whole 30 will help me rewire some thinking in my brain. During pregnancy I was taught almonds = protein, which they do have, but I need to see them as a healthy fat and not overindulge. I appreciate your help. :)

Hi Everyone!  

July 1st was my official start date, but I tried out the plan just to see if I could do it two days ago, had success, and just stuck with it.  However, I am in this with my niece and she is going until July 30 so I will too!  I have been gluten-free for some time, so I am prepared for that part of this journey.  I have had digestive issues for years and really want to figure out what is going on.  I have come to the conclusion that I listen to everyone else, but am not that used to listening in earnest to my body and what it wants.

I have been a vegetarian for years and on a recent vacation, being gluten-free AND veggie just got to be too much so I reintroduced chicken.  I still have a very hard time with the meat stuff but can make do with chicken and fish for right now.  I really do miss tofu already though!

Glad to be a part of this group as we jump into this together!   

• Moderators
On 6/28/2017 at 5:52 AM, Amy L E said:

Hubby, Mom, siste,r friend and I are starting July 1.  Dragging the 4 kids, age 2-12 along for the ride.  The kids have no idea what they are in for!  And I am not sure how much to require of them.  

Many people don't enforce whole30 rules as strictly with their kids, although if you're trying to determine food sensitivities you'll need to be more strict. The SWYPO rule in particular is one you may decide they don't need to follow -- if the way you can get them to eat compliant foods is by making banana pancakes or cauliflower tortillas or dessert type things occasionally, that might be a compromise you're willing to make. Also remember that you'll need to figure out how to deal with times they aren't with you. If they're out with friends, do you let them have whatever food is being offered, or do you make sure they always have compliant options with them? That may depend on your kids and how much they understand what you are doing and how committed they are to it. There's a section of the forum specifically for doing this with kids, you can see how other people have addressed these concerns:  http://forum.whole30.com/forum/16-whole30-for-kids/

@rickandwendy247 you might check out these lunchbox ideas (may not all be whole30, but should mostly be close):  http://nomnompaleo.com/paleolunchboxes

Day 1 was awesome. Planning ahead really helped. I didn't experience my normal 2pm crash. I've never eaten so much meat in one day before. :) ...and I slept through the night, which is very rare for me. 

Today is going well. Slight headache but other than that I'm feeling well.

I'm excited to hear how your journeys are going, especially those whose kiddos are joining in. 

We can do this!

We've had a good start here, too. I was already a pretty organized meal planner, so that helps. It's just an extra level to have to plan breakfast and lunch. And then I forgot to plan for our kid -- poor thing only had a hard boiled egg and fruit for lunch yesterday. :)  The hubs is always feeling hungry. Not sure if it's just kicking the snack habit or maybe not enough fats. Though it's interesting to realizehow much I associate summer fun with beer and ice cream. Took the kid to the pool today and really had to resist stopping in at the malt shop!

I'd love to hear what you guys are eating. I cannot have eggs due to sensitivity to them so breakfast is challenging but it's been good to think outside the box. :)

Today's meals 4 me were:

Breakfast - sautéed spinach with lemon, chicken sausage, and sweet potato hash with onion and apples. 

Lunch - protein salad = roasted chicken, spinach, cukes, peppers, sprouts, avacado, strawberries and a few almonds with citrus dressing. 

Dinner= curried beef with roasted potatoes and carrots and leftover salad from lunch.

Any eggless breakfast ideas are welcome. :)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

I'd love to hear what you guys are eating. I cannot have eggs due to sensitivity to them so breakfast is challenging but it's been good to think outside the box. :)

Today's meals 4 me were:

Breakfast - sautéed spinach with lemon, chicken sausage, and sweet potato hash with onion and apples. 

Lunch - protein salad = roasted chicken, spinach, cukes, peppers, sprouts, avacado, strawberries and a few almonds with citrus dressing. 

Dinner= curried beef with roasted potatoes and carrots and leftover salad from lunch.

Any eggless breakfast ideas are welcome. :)

Google 'whole30 eggless breakfast' or 'whole30 egg free breakfast'... it's been discussed a million times and there are countless threads with tips, ideas etc...

I whipped up the roasted beet, orange, and avocado salad on p. 290 of The Whole 30 guide tonight, and it was AWESOME!  It was like a celebration on a plate, very pretty to look at and delightful to eat.  I roasted the beets in my slow cooker  per this recipe for 3 hours on high and they were perfect.  I used up the beet greens by sauteing them with some olive oil and rice vinegar and topped the greens with crispy, pan fried prosciutto.  I was surprised at how good beet greens could taste, I haven't had them since I was 12. :)

On 6/30/2017 at 9:40 PM, MaineacMom said:

Hi Maineac Mom! I am in awe of your ability to type complete sentences with six children scurrying about. :) Your post made me laugh because my family loves snacky lunches, though they used to include crackers and cheese too. And I agree, the toothpick trick always makes food seem fancy.

Our boys both have Autism (ASD) and one has some skin and allergy issues (non-food related) so we are hopeful that this program will help us see how certain foods really impact them (and us). I may decide to add to their program down the road, but for now they are excited about joining us for this journey.

This first week has been much harder than I anticipated. I ate healthy before, had been making compliant meals for about a week before we started, and really thought I'd do week one without a problem. But I'm finding I hate the feeling of being "deprived" of things. (I did weight watchers last year and loved that I could have anything I wanted, I just needed to budget...which often meant that I chose to say  "no thank you"). Anyway, I nearly quit last night when the chicken thighs refused to cook and dinner was a hour late and I was eating olives and really jonesing for some peanut butter... this morning, I told my husband that I was committed to hanging in there both to support him and hopefully to achieve "tiger blood" by week 3. He responded, "Tiger blood would be great. Right now I think I have Hippo Hemoglobin". :D

Archived