Newbie start date 6/25/2017

FrontierGail

I started my Whole30 yesterday, 6/25/2017.   I didn't find this site first--I found RealPlans.com and signed up there to create meal plans and generate shopping lists.  So now I have to explore this site too to see if joining the other one is a mistake.  

I'm 64-years-old and divorced, live alone way out in the county away from Memphis where my church is and where I shop, and I work from home.  So I'm very sedentary and don't get out as much as I should.  And since I started working from home 3 years ago (I'm a writing instructor for a distance graduate school for nurses and midwives), I've just developed terrible eating habits.  When I heard about Whole30 recently, I ordered 3 books and plunged into It Starts With Food.  So this past weekend I purged everything from my cabinets and the refrigerator that isn't Whole30 compliant.  And while I was at it, I also purged a lot of stuff out of my kitchen cabinets so I can get to cooking equipment and dishes more easily. Then I went shopping for everything to start my first week.  

I am SO EXCITED! 

I am so looking forward to feeling better--getting rid of this belly fat and just generally resetting my metabolism and regaining some energy. I feel like I have "brain fog" way more than I should.   I'm seriously committed to this and thrilled to have found Whole30.

Hi to everyone else, and here's to ME and my new self!

FrontierGail

Jump on some of the other threads out there too in case you have some questions that might already have been answered.

I turn 60 in July so we're not that far apart in age.  I have joint pain, seasonal allergies, mood swings, anxiety and stuff like that which is mitigated by removing certain foods from my diet.  I did a Whole30 back in 2013 and slept like a baby and some of these things were taken care of.  I just didn't do the reintroduction phase particularly well -- well, I didn't do it at all.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm struggling with all my heart and soul to do this.  It's not the eating and food preparation, etc. that I struggle with.  I'm just the most distracted, unfocused person on the planet.  I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails to "center" and stick with this--especially this social media thing.  But I am DESPERATE for some connection with someone.  I am so isolated where I live.  My three best friends in the world--folks I've been friends with 25 years--have all moved away recently.  On the face of it, there is ZERO reason for me to fail at anything--I have so much going for me: I work from home, I'm financially secure (sort of), and am amazingly healthy.  But I'm addicted to Facebook and information on the internet and am throwing my life away dissipating all my time on the computer.  I do get out and tend my flower gardens and keep up this 3/4 acre yard by myself.  But I pay for a YMCA membership monthly--and then never go.  Because: Facebook. I have just abandoned cooking for the past few years.  So I'm hoping that having to focus daily on the preparation of food for my meal plan will help me "center" in something productive.  I'm enjoying that part.  Thanks!  

One thing I did on my first day: I stopped eating at 6 p.m.  I am a night owl (working on changing that). I take a medication in the evening associated to hunger feelings.  And just habitually, late in the evening (sometimes VERY late) I start eating and just won't stop.  This is ridiculous.  So last night, to do a mental trick, I reminded myself that if I were scheduled for surgery, I'd be unable to eat the evening before.  And it worked.  I mean, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but I haven't stopped eating after dinner in ages.  So one step . . . .

I had a sugar fit my second night or third night, so started over with Day One on 6/28/2017.  I've spent a ton of money and time out shopping for ingredients and making meal plans on Real Plan.  Now I've got all these ingredients and am hustling to get these recipes made before the ingredients go bad.  I didn't start off simply because I just don't have a clue.  But I've already made a fancy egg dish for breakfast one morning, and I've made a whole chicken in the crock pot and followed that by making bone broth (took 24 hours). And then today, I made another whole chicken in the crock pot (lemon/garlic)--chickens were on sale.  I put the bone broth into ice cube trays and froze 4 trays of bone broth--and still have enough in the refrigerator to use for a base for soup recipe tomorrow.  I made a complicated salad with roasted beets, roasted fennel, orange, orange vinegar, and radicchio--etc.  This is taking endless hours.  But at least I'm getting back into the habit of cooking, storing food, and eating only what's allowed on Whole 30.  A long way to go.  Day One again today. 

Archived