Started June 13- joined the forum 6/23

CindyL

Greetings.  I started the Whole30 on June 13 so I am on day 14.   I have a lot of energy in the mornings and this weekend I got a lot done around the house between 6:30 -10 am.  A little drowsy in the afternoon but I really did kick some butt in the morning so I guess I earned it.   Having lots of general inflammation going on right now with my arthritis which I am attributing to the day 9 bloating syndrome which seems to be hanging around a bit. Other than that I feel like my clothes are looser and i feel generally pretty relaxed.  My next challenge is a week of camping starting tomorrow. I've been loading the trailer fridge with good eats so I hope I soldier through OK. I will be around a lot of beer drinking campers so I have plenty of sparkling water on hand.

Thanks and I've enjoyed reading all your posts!

Cindy L

Hi Cindy!

Lynne here and I started a day after you did! Maybe we can team up? I am doing this on my own, and while my husband is supportive and has given up sugar with me, and beans cuz I cook, haha.... it would be nice with some company?

I have had some pain issues in my back and hips, mostly in the am, trying to get out of bed was super painful, and then I have a trigger finger that used to be warm and swollen and achy. The trigger finger still locks and that can hurt, but the constant ache etc have gone away and I had not realized that the hip and back pain had decreased until a few days ago and it was wonderful! 

Good luck camping! I drink a sparkling sort of mineral water here with dinners and after, with a slice of lime. I love the taste. It reminds me of a gin and tonic. Might be an option if that is a flavor you like? That way you can look like you can kind of "fake" join the crowd?  I think it might be closest to a seltzer water flavor? But sparkling water may work well too.  I try not to drink too much of this and stick mostly to water or tea the rest of the time, but it is a bit of a treat. 

Anyway, all the best, Lynne

Hi Cindy and Lynne!

I joined on June 11, so right before you. I was looking for some others who are at a similar stage to see how others are doing.

I am loving this program so far. The 'black and white' aspect of it is really working for me, and I'm even a little nervous about life after the first 30 days. I feel great, my clothes are fitting better, and my face is less puffy (yay!) - I'm afraid to change anything and jeopardize all that great stuff!

How are you guys doing? I'd love to hear more about how camping went for you, Cindy. We have a family camping trip coming up at the end of July and I'm nervous. Especially since my husband is still under the impression that after 30 days, I'll be back to "normal" (his word) and eating - and drinking - whatever I want. I'll need to make sure he's clear on this before I go, or he will drive me crazy with, "Come on - your 'diet' is over!".

Talk to you all soon!

Michelle

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, MeeshKB said:

eating - and drinking - whatever I want.

well technically after your reintroductions, you WILL be eating and drinking whatever you want (deem is worth it)... it just may not be whatever HE wants ;)

Hi Michelle, I responded on the other thread already :-) but re the "diet being over" .... tricky one. My husband too I think expects me to just go back to the good old ways. But I feel so good eating this way, less pain and inflammation, less bloating. So, I know there will be permanent changes. I know right now is a terrible time to try this in a sense with guests coming and staying for several months.... but I will try to modify and adapt and eat this way as much as I can. The thing is...mod edit to remove scale discussion...I am 48 after all.  I will eat more clean snacks, less tahini and fewer nuts for snacks in between. Go easy on the coconut milk in my coffee! But I feel so darn good, that I totally want to keep this up!  I am thinking... after guests, another round of Whole 30 and then a proper reintro period and then a kind of modified Whole 30/Paleo eating might be in my future. We shall see!!

Good luck camping! Lynne

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, NorskWife said:

Hi Michelle, I responded on the other thread already :-) but re the "diet being over" .... tricky one. My husband too I think expects me to just go back to the good old ways. But I feel so good eating this way, less pain and inflammation, less bloating. So, I know there will be permanent changes. I know right now is a terrible time to try this in a sense with guests coming and staying for several months.... but I will try to modify and adapt and eat this way as much as I can. The thing is...mod edit to remove scale discussion...I am 48 after all.  I will eat more clean snacks, less tahini and fewer nuts for snacks in between. Go easy on the coconut milk in my coffee! But I feel so darn good, that I totally want to keep this up!  I am thinking... after guests, another round of Whole 30 and then a proper reintro period and then a kind of modified Whole 30/Paleo eating might be in my future. We shall see!!

Good luck camping! Lynne

Hi Lynne;

I've removed the scale discussion as we don't allow discussions of rule breaking on the main boards.  That said, if you're eating snacks, are you eating them because you're hungry or because you're bored/habit?  Feeling good is awesome and this is not a weightloss diet so we want you eating 3 good meals a day that get you 4-5 hours between...

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

well technically after your reintroductions, you WILL be eating and drinking whatever you want (deem is worth it)... it just may not be whatever HE wants ;)

Yep, that's precisely the problem. But I'll sort him out. ;)

Hi SugarcubeOD, thank you! Sorry for breaking more rules than intended. 

I cannot seem to figure out how to reply to just your comment, so am just writing in the general thread. I am on an ipad, so maybe that is why. Who knows!  

Re snacking, we farm, so we have a pattern of milking the cows then eating breakfast, so I need a little something to get through that milking. But I do not need to make it nuts. It could be an apple! I was good about keeping portions small, but I think it was still too much for my 48 year old self! However, I feel physically good, fewer aches and pains, and my stomach has gotten smaller! My husband notices that when he hugs me. So, I am pleased. I want to do this again, just a slightly cleaner form. Keep the fats to meals and not in between, IF I need an in between. And yes, pm snacking might have been more boredom. But I think there I will eat carrots or celery, maybe with some salt or herbs, so that I have a backup just in case I cannot handle the boredom!

All the best, Lynne

Archived