Ningxia Nitro??

UnePetiteAmie

• Moderators

Well the package says 'contains milk' so nope.  Also, we'd really recommend you don't use this kind of stuff during your 30 days.  We want you to know your hunger, energy, satiety signals based on eating 3 meals a day, not some concotion mixed with water 'anytime you need a pick me up'.

Oh good grief. I was so focused on looking for hidden sugar in the earlier lists I didn't even see the part about milk! Thanks... this gets easier right? lol I am so afraid to misread a label and have to start over. I am mostly eating things with no label like meat and produce but there are so many things to re-evaluate that you usually don't really think about  that it's a little overwhelming. 

12 hours ago, UnePetiteAmie said:

Oh good grief. I was so focused on looking for hidden sugar in the earlier lists I didn't even see the part about milk! Thanks... this gets easier right? lol I am so afraid to misread a label and have to start over. I am mostly eating things with no label like meat and produce but there are so many things to re-evaluate that you usually don't really think about  that it's a little overwhelming. 

YES it gets so much easier!! When I first started I felt like all I was doing was reading labels in the grocery store. Once you start to recognize what to look for, and find those certain brands that are compliant shopping gets easier. Google is your best friend, and I'd recommend leaving yourself an extra 15 minutes for grocery shopping - you can also print out the common additives sheet and keep a copy in your purse :) Thankfully, almost every single ingredient ever has been discussed in this forum, so you can find an answer easily and quickly 99.9% of the time!

But, you're also on the right track eating mostly things with no label - that is the easiest of course!

In addition to the milk, I don't think the coconut fruit nectar is compliant, I think it leans too much into sugar/syrup category. ( I believe that's why there is a post explaining about coconut aminos being allowed as an exception while other coconut nectar stuff wouldn't be. ) 

I'm not sure if it's specifically disallowed, but I would also avoid anything with "fruit juice concentrate" because it's essentially a processed, fructose-dense form of juice.

I found a great app called "Sift" that really helps with label reading.  I think the initial app is free, and then you can pay a couple of dollars to have it tell you if foods are specifically compliant to "Whole Food".  It works simply by scanning the bar code of a product and explains what each "mystery" ingredient really is.  The only issue I've found is that it will tell you items with bean gum or guar gum are non-compliant, even though they are.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:49 PM, UnePetiteAmie said:

I am mostly eating things with no label like meat and produce but there are so many things to re-evaluate that you usually don't really think about  that it's a little overwhelming. 

Seriously, it's incredible what is in certain foods that you might not even think to check!  Read EVERY label - almond milk, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, nuts, tuna, deli meat, broth, etc. There are so many things that have non-compliant additives.  Be warned that carrageenan is not allowed, and it shows up in a lot of sneaky places (same with soy).  And if you choose to eat Larabars or RXBars as an emergency item, make sure you check the labels because some of them are not compliant with Whole30.  Good luck!!!  I'm on DAY 30 today, and I will tell you:  It is hard, but it is worth it.

Archived