Round 2 vs Break ??

JustSarah

I'm wrapping up my first Whole 30 today (Day 30!)  Here's where I'm at...

• Fatigue - it's improved.  I still have some groggy mornings and wipe easy end of day, but I haven't had the midday slump at all.  Now I have the cup of coffee at 2pm because I want it vs needing it to survive the afternoon.
  • Sugar cravings - They are minimal, but haven't vanished.  I've a few brief moments of getting down with  contemplation about devouring consuming some dark chocolate and cake.  Overall sugar cravings are improved.  That's my vice for just about everything.  I don't feel a overwhelming need to eat sugar or look forward to it later. The craving goes as fast as it comes.
  • Meals - Ok, this one has been hardest.  I'm a 4-5 small meal a day person.  3 larger meals are hard.  I struggle with concept that 4-5 small meals isn't recommended.  I've had a few moments I couldn't follow this part - went to a festival, and experienced some low blood sugar.  If I had any recommendations it would be this one. Maybe it's part of moving Whole 30 next level?   What I do know is when I'm done I'll go back to 4 smaller meals a day. I'm confident this won't derail me. And if it does I know what to do.
  • Booze - I do miss wine and beer a little.  I've always enjoyed a fancy (sugary) cocktail/wine.  I don't crave a drink or the sugary wines, but I would love an nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc or tasty craft beer.  However, I don't have an overwhelming crave and not having it right now doesn't bother me even when surrounded by others indulging.
  • Wins
    • brighter skin,
    • less bloated,
    • REGULAR (constipation was an occasional issue),
    • stress reduction,
    • the hubs said I lost weight - I think I agree,
    • cravings are heavily reduced,
    • actually get hungry- physically hungry - like hunger pains - like oh my lord I'm going chew off my left arm because I'm a righty and don't need that left arm because I'm starving and will pass out if I don't eat soon hungry (nice change).
    • No more swelling in my ankles - for some reason sandals that wrap around my ankle make me swell slightly.  Not enough that you would notice, but I certainly do.  That hasn't happened at all, and I'm enjoying wearing my sandals again.
    • Accomplished.  I feel good that I've stuck to it.  I never stick to a plan and yet I did it.  I feel freaking amazing.
  • Issues
    • Fatigue still lingers (see first bullet). 
    • Increased headaches, but manageable. I'm at a point I can work through it without an pain reliever - cup of coffee, water, shut eye seems to work best.  
    • Working out on hold - this one I need to get back to soon, and I feel ready.

Overall, this wasn't as hard as I thought.  I really anticipated bad days, like talk me off the ledge before I throw myself into the valley of despair, bad days.  Really didn't have any.  Maybe because I did my research and prepped for about 10 days - most of that prep was mental.  I weaned myself off artificial sweetener and minimized sugar for a about 2 weeks prior.

The Hubs thinks I should do a second round because I'm not sure I trust myself not go crazy especially this weekend and the fourth being next week.  I seriously can't tell you I won't binge if I take a break and we've talked about that in detail.  He's my rock.  So supportive.  I want to trust myself more, but I'm just not sold (yet).

However, what are your thoughts?  You think I should do it one more round?  Would you have done 2 back to back rounds or considering it? Does taking a break for a few a week, two or more the better option for sanity?  Did you try it back-to-back  and have more success, more confidence or do you hit the wall?

I realize these questions are very personal and we are not one size fits all otherwise everyone on the planet would do the same thing regarding nutrition and lifestyle.  I'm still curious to hear your experiences or just your general thoughts.

All comments welcome.

JustSarah

Following.

I am currently on day 8 of my first w30. My summer schedule is more flexible than the academic calendar so I was contemplating doing 2 rounds before the new school year. I have a trip to SF starting 8/31 so one option is to go for 60 days straight and have a week before the trip to slowly reintroduce. Or I can put the week "off" in between the 2 rounds. 

I'd be curious to hear others' experiences with whole 60. 

Please don't underestimate the importance and value of doing the reintroduction steps.  The reintro phase is still a lot like staying Whole30 plus you can go right back to Whole30 once you've done the tests and learned/recorded your results from it.  

This is your perfect opportunity to find out which foods were/are most responsible for your issues and which ones you can have again with little to no consequence.  Also, if you are not getting as much improvement as you wish, you might want to plan an AIP Whole30 or Low FODMAP Whole30 in the near future.  But please still do the reintro phase after this one.  I know it's scary.  I took my time and spread mine out well past the minimal 10 days after my first Whole30.  What I learned changed my life.

2 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Please don't underestimate the importance and value of doing the reintroduction steps.  The reintro phase is still a lot like staying Whole30 plus you can go right back to Whole30 once you've done the tests and learned/recorded your results from it.  

This is your perfect opportunity to find out which foods were/are most responsible for your issues and which ones you can have again with little to no consequence.  Also, if you are not getting as much improvement as you wish, you might want to plan an AIP Whole30 or Low FODMAP Whole30 in the near future.  But please still do the reintro phase after this one.  I know it's scary.  I took my time and spread mine out well past the minimal 10 days after my first Whole30.  What I learned changed my life.

Yeah, yeah I value what you saying.  I don't have a goal to not do the reintro phase.  In fact, I'm looking forward to it to really nail down the culprits.  If I guessed it will be dairy and sugar.  Grains, especially the good ones, haven't really been an issue for me in the past but still anxious to find out what makes me feel good and what makes me feel crummy.

I think the thing I'm weighing out the most is I'm nervous I won't go a little nuts - Like maybe another 15-30 days might help me mentally keep control.  That's my biggest fear honestly.  I've had moments in my life when I know I can't do something long term and other times I feel the confidence.  I can see myself doing this long term or a version of it at least, but I'm lacking the confidence.  I don't want to lose all that I gained, hmmm. 

However, you've given me something I seriously need to think about his evening :unsure:

Archived