My Nephew's diet

Rose885

I spent some time with my family this weekend - mum, dad, brother, sister-in-law and my baby nephew (1 year old). In the past I thought my nephew had a perfect diet but since doing whole30 I'm not so sure. Here's what I saw him eat over the 2 days:

Breakfast (Sat & Sun): banana, brown bread with utterly butterly (margarine), ready-brek with whole milk.

Saturday Lunch: Homemade parsnip and ginger soup with no salt

Saturday Dinner: chicken breast cooked in tomato sauce (homemade) with brown rice

Sunday Lunch We went out for a meal so he got a cheese toastie on white bread and some tomato off his mum's plate.

Snacks: raisins, cheese, red grapes, pear,

oat and ginger biscuits http://www.tesco.com...s/?id=271511038

carrot stix http://www.tesco.com...s/?id=260827874

Ok so it's not the worst they're not giving him MacDonalds or anything but all the grains make me a bit uneasy. When he first started eating solids they were steaming tons of veggies for every meal and puréeing them but I haven't seen that recently. Maybe this was different to what he normally eats because they were away from home I'm not sure. To their credit they've never given him any baby food jars that have a 6 month expiration date.

Do you think there's any reason for concern here? My gut feeling is that it's not my place to say anything, this is their first child and I don't have any kids of my own. They're obviously of the "healthy whole grains" mind-set and I think it would cause an argument if I were to say anything. I think it would seem judgemental instead of concern. My brother made a few comments about my diet being boring and how having a fried egg was unhealthy (while he ate crisps for breakfast), so I don't think he would listen.

Perhaps I could causally leave a copy of ISWF laying on the table next time they visit :)

• Moderators

Obviously we think the Whole30 approach to eating is best, but you are more likely to do more harm than good by criticizing your family about their eating habits or how they feed their child. The Whole30 works best as a program of attraction, not lecture. Just be as healthy as you can be and maybe they will come to you.

Thanks for the response Tom, that makes a lot of sense. I don't want to be the nagging aunt! I'm very thankful that my nephew is healthy and happy. The good news is that he doesn't seem to be fussy at all when it comes to food which is a blessing!

Compared to what a lot of families feed their kids, they are feeding him a relatively healthy diet. You won't get anywhere by pointing out the flaws compared to Whole30. The parents would have to shift to W30 first, before they will decide to feed their kids that way. So be the living example and keep talking about how good you feel.

My 2¢...

I would keep my mouth shut. Especially since you don't have kids. Personally, as a parent, I find any unsolicited parenting advice from non-parents annoying and at times judgmental even when that is not the person's intent. Especially with my first child when I was still getting comfortable with being a Mom. By the time I had my third thankfully I cared a lot less what others thought of my parenting skills...

Just lead by example and share how good you feel.

As a parent of paleo-kids (who came from a standard diet), and a Good Food enthusiast, here's what I've learned:

Food is like religion or politics. Unless you're talking to folks you KNOW agree with your point of view, diet can be one of the most divisive topics of conversation. Many people feel judged just sitting a table with someone who is eating a W30 meal. If your nephew is suffering from a heath problem for which his parents are pursuing a resolution, then by all means, introduce this as an idea. Otherwise, just keep improving yourself. Your brother and SIL may well be attracted to the improvements in your health, and if they make the change it's natural that your nephew's diet will change as well.

In the meantime, rest assured that he is actually eating a decent diet - it could be all jaffa cakes, right?

I agree with Xandra. His diet is so much better than most kidlets and it probably would cause angst. I don't think having kids is a requirement to have an opinion at all, but he's a lucky guy that they aren't feeding him mac and cheese and vienna sausages. Just be a loving Aunt and sister and lead by example. :)

Thank you all for your replies, I knew in my gut that its not a good idea to interfere and you've all confirmed that. I think Whole 30 has made me over react a tad, it is kinda like a religion! They're doing a wonderful job with him, I might be bias but he's a great baby :D

I will try my best to lead by example but not too hopeful at the moment there was a lot of eye rolling from my brother over my diet! I never noticed how much cake and booze my family consume until now either.

BTW, I've taken the word "diet" out of my lexicon. I do not follow a diet, I follow an eating plan. Small difference, but the deprivation and resentment associated with many diets is not part of my food world and I don't want to convey that to anyone, either. The focus is totally on what I do eat, and I eat a lot! :)

My nephew eats pop tarts for breakfast and fast food for nearly every dinner! So echoing where others have said it could be much worse. I sent an email to my family telling them about my experience eating this way, but never said a word to suggest they should do try it too. Again, like others have said, best to just lead my example!

My nephew eats pop tarts for breakfast and fast food for nearly every dinner! So echoing where others have said it could be much worse. I sent an email to my family telling them about my experience eating this way, but never said a word to suggest they should do try it too. Again, like others have said, best to just lead my example!

Oh dear, I feel like I'm complaining about nothing now! Sounds like a good tactic, good luck persuading them :)

What he is eating sounds fantastic compared to what most kids eat. My nephew (hes 1) often has Reeses Peanut Butter cereal for breakfast, with a poptart for a snack.

And as a mom of 3, and who married into a family who feel they have the right to comment on every single decision we make about out kids (and they agree with none of them) I say this as nicely as possible: Its none of your business what they feed their child. The child is healthy and happy, and thats enough. If they decide to start feeding him chips and pop for 3 meals a day, then yes, say something. Otherwise, keep it to yourself. All it will do is anger your brother and sister in law. No parent want to be judged for the decisions they make, especially by someone who doesn't have children. They know what is best for their child.

Archived