Slendesta

Amanda M

Curious to know if Slendesta is approved for WHOLE30?  It is a natural potato protein extract that helps suppress appetite.  The protein stimulates the natural release of cholecystokinin (CCK) which is used by the body to tell itself that it is full.  It is an ingredient in a flavored vitamin mix that I enjoy! Thank you for your feedback!

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Amanda M said:

Curious to know if Slendesta is approved for WHOLE30?  It is a natural potato protein extract that helps suppress appetite.  The protein stimulates the natural release of cholecystokinin (CCK) which is used by the body to tell itself that it is full.  It is an ingredient in a flavored vitamin mix that I enjoy! Thank you for your feedback!

I'm honestly not even going to look up the ingredients because suppressing the appetite is the antithesis of what the whole30 is about.  We WANT you to learn how to eat three proper meals a day, learn your own hunger and full signals and balance your hormones so your body is operating properly... suppressing your appetite with chemicals or foods turned into frankenfoods for the purpose of making you spend money on supplements is not on in Whole30 land.

Edited to add: GRAS (Generally recognized as Safe) is the lowest form of 'okay' that a food can be before it's ruled as not safe... it doesn't mean it's good for you... and the fact I can't find any ingredient lists on their website and you're expected to email them for more info tells me that the company itself is shady... 

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm not asking about the supplement because I want to suppress appetite- I eat plenty.  However, I have a hard time drinking water and slendesta is listed as an ingredient, along with several vitamins, in a flavored water packet that I typically like to use. So I was just curious. The facts I researched mentions it is a protein found in white potatoes.

• Administrators

I would highly suspect that there is some type of sweetener in the flavour packet which is what makes it palatable. Can you mention what the brand is or what the ingredients are listed as?

Honestly, it's probably not your best choice on a plan that wants you eating whole foods. You can put a splash of 100% fruit juice in your water or try infusing water with real fruits. :) 

Thank you for posting. The packets are ideal boost and contain the following:

Fiber, Niacin, vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Sodium, Slendesta, green tea, raspberry keytones, green coffee bean, caffeine, niacinamide(vitaminB3) pyridoxine HCI(vitaminB6) and cyanocobalamin(VitaminB12)

I am not a coffee drinker and used to rely a lot on energy drinks. I found these as a better alternative and love to mix a packet with water in the morning. I drink much more water throughout the day. 

I am new to whole30 and appreciate your feedback with the fruit juice. I've tried infusing water with lemon/cucumbers/mint- but doesn't keep me interested. I'll try the fruit juice idea though!

• Administrators

@Amanda M - I had a feeling that's what it was. The ingredients are broken out into two sections on their website and all the flavours that I checked also contain:

Other Ingredients:
Citric Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

These would be out for your Whole30. Sorry. Fruit juice or fruit infusion it is! :) 

Try infusing water with fruit, instead of just lemon or cucumber.  My FAVORITE mix by far is watermelon, cucumber, and mint (cucumber has a strong flavor - you don't need much - and rip up the mint leaves to get more flavor).  If you don't have an infuser pitcher, just take a large ziploc bag, pierce it with a bunch of holes (like with a toothpick or something, put the fruit mix in there, and let it sit in a pitcher.  It will be good for about 3 days or so, and you can add more water to the pitcher without replacing the bag of fruit.

Also, what about unsweetened iced or hot tea?  You mentioned you're not a coffee drinker, but it sounds like you crave caffeine.  If you want something with caffeine but with a bit of a sweet fruity flavor to it, try making tea with a mix of brews - like maybe black tea (for caffeine) mixed with a fruity flavor-packed herbal like red zinger or berry.  Oolong tea is caffeinated (not as strong as black tea, though), and Stash makes a delicious white peach variety.

Side note, I also knew this product was going to be from the Ideal company when you mentioned "Slendesta".  I  used to drink their IdealFit meal replacement shakes.  All of their products have a lot of artificial sweeteners.  Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to post!

i do enjoy tea in the evening now and then, and have found lemon juice adds some nice flavor.

ive been adding that to my water and it's helped, but I like the idea of trying other fruit as well and trying to do some cold tea! 

Also, thank you for your feedback with the ideal company! I too, have a lot of their products, and really have no complaints- but I see now all the artificial sweeteners :( 

i appreciate all the info! I'm on day 5 of whole30.. it's going good!!

Archived