Hospital stay?

CrystalLite

I just began Whole 30 yesterday and I'm pretty optimistic, though I have spent most of these last two days with MAJOR sugar cravings. I know I have a serious sugar addiction, and so one of my goals for this month is to get that in check. Another is to try to get my symptoms of PCOS and chronic pain under control as well. And of course, I'd love to lose weight.

In the middle of my 30 -- like, exactly in the middle! -- I am having back surgery to remove part of a herniated disc.  I will be in the hospital overnight. I'm a little stressy about how I'm going to eat at the hospital (2-3 meals are most likely during my stay)  without just leaving half the food on the tray (and likely going hungry! lol) And I can't control the foods I get beyond perhaps choosing from a couple options on a menu and they are probably alllllllllll  processed and I bet most have noncompliant ingredients in them.

I'm worried that halfway into it this is going to happen and I'm going to have problems. Can anyone shed light on what a day of hospital meals will mean? Does it undermine the whole process? I'm bummed out thinking that halfway into my 30 days, I'm going to "mess up." I know that no matter what, it'll be a healthier diet than anything I've ever eaten and it's actually teaching me how to cook because I don't have a choice now! ha... But the idea of the thing is to make it 30 days so you can see what your body feels like without all the crap and see if you have any sensitivities when you reintro... and I am really just going to be going 2 weeks (twice). I'm a little bummed thinking that I might have to just restart the clock after surgery and do 30 days then, because I REALLY miss chocolate, lol.

It's really sad that hospitals have such crappy food. Is there anyone who can bring you homemade compliant meals? Or at least you could bring a cooler of compliant food.  Most hospitals have microwaves for patient use...just ask your nurse if he/she can warm something up for you. You may also think about a delivery service. We have a couple in my area who deliver from various restaurants and will deliver directly to your hospital room. 

Good luck with your surgery!

• 4 weeks later...

The hospital where I work has a fridge and microwave for patient use in every unit! Pack a cooler and bring a bottle of tessemae's, frozen steamer bags of veggies, and a few servings of your favorite protein. Easy peasy! Depending on your docs you may be restricted to clear liquids and then progressing back to a regular diet. In that case bone broth from home (or store bought) would be your best bet...we serve our patients TERRIBLE bouillion broth. It tastes terrible and the salt is crazy. I would call your surgeons office and see what your post op restrictions will be, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to stick with your whole30 goals!

Archived