HELP - It's Day 3 and I have to eat out!

nicky05

Totally forgot tomorrow I have a lunch meeting with a business partner who I have never met before. She asked me to pick the restaurant so I found a place that does offer salad options. I was going to do the kale salad with pickled cabbage, red onion and some protein (the options are smoked salmon and pulled chicken so we'll go smoked salmon I think...). And instead of their honey lemon dressing I will ask for some olive oil on the side. The menu does not suggest there is cheese on the salad but I will make sure. 

What do we think? I'm so annoyed I forgot about this but also stuff will always come up and I need to know how to get through it successfully. I'm also a little nervous because like I said, a business partner I have never met before and I'm going to be a high maintenance orderer.

• Moderators

First, the smoked salmon is probably not a good bet, it likely has sugar or a sugar substitute (maple syrup, brown sugar) so you'll want to check that.

Don't worry about being a high maintenance orderer... the ordering process, since you've done your homework will only be about 30 seconds.  'Does the salmon have sugar in it?  Okay great!  I'll have the XYZ salad with the salmon, olive oil on the side and no cheese please'.  If you want to make it shorter, call there in the morning when you get to work and ask them about the protein options/ingredients and let them help you work through the menu.

And all that aside, so what if you have to ask a few questions.. she's your business partner, not the person who has to live in your body... so ask what you need, she will absolutely not be going back to the office whispering about what a weirdo you are!

23 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

First, the smoked salmon is probably not a good bet, it likely has sugar or a sugar substitute (maple syrup, brown sugar) so you'll want to check that.

Don't worry about being a high maintenance orderer... the ordering process, since you've done your homework will only be about 30 seconds.  'Does the salmon have sugar in it?  Okay great!  I'll have the XYZ salad with the salmon, olive oil on the side and no cheese please'.  If you want to make it shorter, call there in the morning when you get to work and ask them about the protein options/ingredients and let them help you work through the menu.

And all that aside, so what if you have to ask a few questions.. she's your business partner, not the person who has to live in your body... so ask what you need, she will absolutely not be going back to the office whispering about what a weirdo you are!

Ugh, the only other option for protein is pulled chicken on the salad. What do I do if they both have sugar in it? Skip the meat and eat something of my own when I get back to the office? 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, nicky05 said:

Ugh, the only other option for protein is pulled chicken on the salad. What do I do if they both have sugar in it? Skip the meat and eat something of my own when I get back to the office? 

Personally, I would make sure to pack a lunch, call the restaurant ahead of time and see what your options are.  If there are no sufficient protein options, then eat your home made lunch before you go (so you're full and not tempted, annoyed, crabby about the lack of options) and then order a nice salad.  I'm the kind of person that would bring my own little baggie of chicken to the restaurant to eat on the salad but you've already stated you don't want to seem odd in front of this person so eating first is the next best option.

13 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Personally, I would make sure to pack a lunch, call the restaurant ahead of time and see what your options are.  If there are no sufficient protein options, then eat your home made lunch before you go (so you're full and not tempted, annoyed, crabby about the lack of options) and then order a nice salad.  I'm the kind of person that would bring my own little baggie of chicken to the restaurant to eat on the salad but you've already stated you don't want to seem odd in front of this person so eating first is the next best option.

Thanks! 

I think if I already knew them I might feel more comfortable with something like that... 

Archived