Blew it - or??

Jim4884

Hey all,

So I started a whole 30 on June 9, and everything was going better than I had imagined.  Then something made me double check the label on the breakfast sausage I was eating almost every day.  SUGAR!  wtf, but, how to react?  Well, I'm disappointed that I haven't done a whole 30 and can't do the re-introductions properly. But what has happened?

As I posted elsewhere, incredible health gains - glucose went from the high end of pre-diabetic range to well within normal; triglycerides went from doctor recommending statins to well within normal; blood pressure went from 130/90 WITH meds to 110/74 WITHOUT.   Since I'm out on an official whole 30 I weighed myself - 22 pounds down.

I have decided that I don't need to re-introduce diet soda.

I am eating far more vegetables than EVER in my life and enjoying it.

I'm going to call this a win, and I will do a real whole 30 when I feel up to eliminating the jerk seasoning that also has sugar in it - that one will be hard to give up :)

(I read so many labels, I have no idea how I missed these two - but now I know...)

Jim

@ladyshannyI have now, thank you very much.  I do feel like I need to totally reset my clock despite having good intentions on my two "fails".  I ate both often enough.  I am pretty sure what I'm going to find upon re-introductions, but I really want to do it properly, otherwise I'm not open to discovery.  And the main take away is that I am much healthier in a sustainable way already, and now I just want to increase my self-awareness.

19 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

And the main take away is that I am much healthier in a sustainable way already, and now I just want to increase my self-awareness.

Hi Jim, glad you still got so much out of the whole30!  It was worth it then no matter what.  Good luck on the next one!  Oh and  don't give up on the Jerk seasoning.  Mel Joulwan has lots of recipes for different spice mixes - so go  find your signature jerk seasoning that will taste better than sugar and spice in a jar.

I appreciated your post cos it reminded me about the labels!  So thanks for the reminder.  All the best for your next round. Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, a quick follow up to this.  I started another Whole30 on July 4, so I am on day 25 and cruising.  About a week or so ago, I got all the portion sizes and meal composition down pat and pretty much all compliant snacking is done - when I start getting hungry again, it's close to meal time.  Right now just deciding on reintroduction schedule - probably non-gluten grains first, limited dairy second and maybe very limited sugar last - not "death by chocolate" kind of sugar, but that jerk seasoning  kind of thing.  Aussiegal, I know Mel well, love a bunch of her recipes, but her jerk seasoning didn't match the Walkers Wood I had used.  But thanks for the tip, Mel's recipes rock my world! I'd want to know about her site if I didn't already!  

Cheers!

Hey there, glad your doing well.  I decided that I will restart my Whole30/60 on July 31. I read all my labels for sugars but not the other possible inflammatory ingredients.  I realized I was using lemon and lime juice concentrates that had sulfates in them.  I had used way more than just a splash to flavor my water with.  I used them in all my dressings.  Plus I don't think I was getting my fat into every meal.

I will be shopping this weekend for an easy-to-constantly-use juicer.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  I believe I am worth it.  

11 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Hey, a quick follow up to this.  I started another Whole30 on July 4, so I am on day 25 and cruising.  About a week or so ago, I got all the portion sizes and meal composition down pat and pretty much all compliant snacking is done - when I start getting hungry again, it's close to meal time.  Right now just deciding on reintroduction schedule - probably non-gluten grains first, limited dairy second and maybe very limited sugar last - not "death by chocolate" kind of sugar, but that jerk seasoning  kind of thing.  Aussiegal, I know Mel well, love a bunch of her recipes, but her jerk seasoning didn't match the Walkers Wood I had used.  But thanks for the tip, Mel's recipes rock my world! I'd want to know about her site if I didn't already!  

Cheers!

Sounds like many success for you! Bravo!

im struggling with late night snacking....it's a habit, so I appreciate that it took 3 weeks for you to break you snacking.

im on day 6 today and it's been my only struggle.  Thanks for the insight! 

Good luck!

On 7/29/2017 at 7:05 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Hey there, glad your doing well.  I decided that I will restart my Whole30/60 on July 31. I read all my labels for sugars but not the other possible inflammatory ingredients.  I realized I was using lemon and lime juice concentrates that had sulfates in them.  I had used way more than just a splash to flavor my water with.  I used them in all my dressings.  Plus I don't think I was getting my fat into every meal.

I will be shopping this weekend for an easy-to-constantly-use juicer.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  I believe I am worth it.  

Hey Pearl, we've overlapped on at least one other thread and I saw this - I feel for you, but I love your positive attitude.  I think that because our "fails" aren't due to lack of resolve, it may be a bit easier to just pick up and move on.  Each step (including my missteps) have gotten me further along this journey to improved health.  You (and me and...) ARE worth it!

Archived