Fresh Market vs. Whole Foods vs. Publix

Bethany483

Tomorrow I start Round 1 - Day 1 of my Whole 30 program. I am already a healthy eater and am very active. I do high intensity workouts daily. So, I stopped by Fresh Market this afternoon looking for Whole30 approved deli turkey. I was surprised that the Fresh Market did not offer it. It blew my mind. This is a health food grocery store?? I then stopped by Whole Foods. Wow, in my opinion the two stores are night and day. I bought Tessamae's salad dressing (which Whole Foods had a much larger selection) and then found the exact deli turkey I was looking for. Ingredients: Turkey, water, sea salt. And the price was near Publix. For my vegetables, I plan on stopping by my local produce stand. Does Publix offer Whole30 approved deli meat? It sounds pretty exhausting to have to constantly go to three different locations for grocery shopping. 

22 hours ago, Bethany483 said:

Tomorrow I start Round 1 - Day 1 of my Whole 30 program. I am already a healthy eater and am very active. I do high intensity workouts daily. So, I stopped by Fresh Market this afternoon looking for Whole30 approved deli turkey. I was surprised that the Fresh Market did not offer it. It blew my mind. This is a health food grocery store?? I then stopped by Whole Foods. Wow, in my opinion the two stores are night and day. I bought Tessamae's salad dressing (which Whole Foods had a much larger selection) and then found the exact deli turkey I was looking for. Ingredients: Turkey, water, sea salt. And the price was near Publix. For my vegetables, I plan on stopping by my local produce stand. Does Publix offer Whole30 approved deli meat? It sounds pretty exhausting to have to constantly go to three different locations for grocery shopping. 

Whole Foods >>> Fresh Market, in my opinion, as far as the selection of Whole30 compliant foods is concerned.  Compliant deli meat is almost impossible to find.  Ask your local deli counter (Publix?) if they have store made fresh roasted turkey breast or roast beef and check what they coat the outside of it with.  That's probably your best bet.  You can also just buy rotisserie chickens or turkey breasts and take the meat off of those.  I find that I like the rotisserie chicken or turkey meat better with Whole30 meals anyway.

Another option for deli meat is prosciutto.  It's almost always cured with only salt.  Pay for the high-end good stuff (prosciutto di parma) - it's expensive, but a half pound will last you awhile.  I like to pair it with some cantaloupe or honeydew melon along with my meals.  Prosciutto is also a nice alternative to bacon, if you want some meat with your eggs but don't want to go out of your way to find Whole30 approved bacon.  Applegate Farms makes a prepackaged prosciutto that's really good (and totally compliant, unlike most of their other meats), but it's pricey for the amount you get.

1 hour ago, laurelerin22 said:

Whole Foods >>> Fresh Market, in my opinion, as far as the selection of Whole30 compliant foods is concerned.  Compliant deli meat is almost impossible to find.  Ask your local deli counter (Publix?) if they have store made fresh roasted turkey breast or roast beef and check what they coat the outside of it with.  That's probably your best bet.  You can also just buy rotisserie chickens or turkey breasts and take the meat off of those.  I find that I like the rotisserie chicken or turkey meat better with Whole30 meals anyway.

Another option for deli meat is prosciutto.  It's almost always cured with only salt.  Pay for the high-end good stuff (prosciutto di parma) - it's expensive, but a half pound will last you awhile.  I like to pair it with some cantaloupe or honeydew melon along with my meals.  Prosciutto is also a nice alternative to bacon, if you want some meat with your eggs but don't want to go out of your way to find Whole30 approved bacon.  Applegate Farms makes a prepackaged prosciutto that's really good (and totally compliant, unlike most of their other meats), but it's pricey for the amount you get.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Whole Foods does have compliant deli turkey, however I have yet to try it. Today I will for my pre-workout meal. I will definitely try the prosciutto. 

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot remember the brand name. However, if you go to the deli counter, look at brands. The ingredients are shown on the package. There isn't a large selection. But, the ingredients will read as turkey, water, and sea salt. The flavor and taste is amazing.

• 1 month later...

I have found that Fresh Market is a very deceiving place, they are more upscale grocery rather than healthy grocery. its been disappointing on multiple trips when driving by and I think..."oh, that might have..." oh well, they are very pretty and place nice music.

• 3 weeks later...

Public carries Plainville Farms brand presliced lunch meat.  Its by the Applegate presliced lunch meat. Some of the organic  turkey and chicken are compliant, but make sure to check the labels. I don't currently have any to look at, but if I remember correctly it's only the organic that are compliant, and only some of them.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 9:55 AM, laurelerin22 said:

Rotisserie chicken is usually not compliant as a heads up. Publix has some sugar in their marinade/rub. They have an ingredients list on their website. 

• 2 months later...

Fresh Market now has a Natural rotisserie chicken. The only additive is a non-stick spray and they will make one specially without it if you call ahead. They also have a lot of Applegate products in their freezer section.

I found that Costco is a surprisingly good choice for compliant foods. I've purchased compliant deli turkey there (the brand is True Story) and like the snack pack version as a post-workout meal. I've also heard they have compliant bacon. 

For reference, here are some items I purchased there for my first successful Whole30: 

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)

They had lots of other stuff too! Avocado oil, spice blends, guacamole, etc.!

Go check it out, you might be surprised what you find! You definitely don't need to shop at high-end grocery stores to find compliant foods. Even my local Walmart and Target carry Tessemae's dressings... 

• 2 months later...

Publix Greenwise Oven-Roasted Turkey (hanging in vacuum-sealed packages) is now compliant, as of the new-ish W30 rule of regular potatoes being acceptable (ingredients are turkey, potato starch, water, if I remember correctly). The Publix brand of packaged prosciutto is also compliant... though it pains me to buy it at their price (wish Trader Joe’s wasn’t so far away from me... I definitely buy it in bulk when I visit!)

Archived