ryanreed

Start Date July 1

65 posts in this topic

Hi there!  My name is Ryan Reed and my husband Patrick and I will be starting our Whole30 this Saturday, July 1st.  I am so excited to finally start.  I bought the book last month and have been reading and brainstorming recipes to make this month.  I had been wanting to try Whole30 for a while now, but I've had a lot on my plate (lol) for the past few months.  I recently got married and then we immediately moved across the country, from South Carolina to Colorado.  Now that we are settled, I am ready to start and have high hopes of seeing good results.  I am mostly doing Whole30 to improve my relationship with food, improve a skin condition, hopefully lose some weight (but I have reasonable expectations regarding this), and to improve some mood and emotional symptoms like depression and anxiety.  Those are my main reasons, but I like to read through the list of benefits and see what else I might be able to expect.  I am writing here on this forum to stay accountable and get support.  So glad that you all are here and that we can help each other achieve our health goals! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.  I'm starting July 1st, as well.  Happy Day 0.  I'm a repeater.  I think this will be #5 for me.  My last one was in October/November of 2016.   I'm a food freedom eater and feel like I need a reset.  My face isn't as clear and I'm having some achiness in my left foot.  I'm hoping getting strict with my diet will clear this up.  

I've read It Starts with Food and Food Freedom, but had never read the Whole30 book....so I've been working on that this week.

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

I am starting on the first too. This will be my third, and I am doing it for similar reasons: clear up my skin, achy joints, address unhealthy habits around food... I too need a 'reset'. 

Happy almost day 1 to you both!

snowflower and CTGeorge like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting July 1st, too! I got It Starts with Food, The Whole 30 and The Whole 30 Cookbook 2 weeks ago. I've been reading and planning. I'm hoping to have more energy, be migraine free and just be healthier. This is my first time doing the Whole 30. I found a cool Fitness and Nutrition journal at Michael's. I'm excited!!!

jrowe, CTGeorge and snowflower like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 1 all.  Hope it goes well for all of you.  I'm working this weekend, which means 13+ hour days today and tomorrow.  So you may not hear from me much until Monday. :)

 

CTGeorge and jrowe like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband, toddler and ne are starting today too, repeaters, just cameback  from vacation and you know how that goes.... so we need to get back on track! Good luck all!

Breakfast will be eggs and beets, for lunch some spaghetti squash with salamus and compliant  leftovers;)

CTGeorge and jrowe like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, y'all! Happy Day 1! My husband & I started our first Whole30 today. He bought me It Starts with Food for Mother's Day (at my request) and two weeks ago I picked up a copy of The Whole30 book, and I've pretty much devoured both of them several times in order to be ready for our journey. I've added Food Freedom Forever to my Amazon wishlist and have been trolling the Whole30 and Whole9 websites since reading both books in order to help guide us on this journey. Good luck, everyone! 

jrowe and snowflower like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy day 2, all! How are you feeling? From my experience, the first & last weeks are usually the easiest. Motivation can start to lag after week 1.... that's when the support of the forum is particularly helpful, I think :)

Good luck, everyone! :)

snowflower and CTGeorge like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 2, all.  I hope everything went well yesterday.  My meals are at crazy times when I work (I'm a floor RN in a hospital).  Breakfast is 5:15, Lunch 2pm, snack 7:30pm, Dinner 9 pm.   Usually I try to have a mid-morning snack too, but yesterday was too busy to sit down until lunch at 2.  Some days I don't snack at all and I am amazed at what being "fat adapted" does for me.  (If you don't know what that means, let me know.)

Feel free to post your meals here....lots of people do that to help stay accountable and to get feedback.  I will post meals when I have more time. :)

Have a great day!

 

 

CTGeorge and jrowe like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 2, y'all! I had a moment this morning when I was packing my lunch for work. I have about 12 cans of Starkist canned tuna that I bought from Sam's Club a few months ago. It isn't compliant because it has vegetable broth (soy) in it. My husband and I have been trying to get out of debt following Dave Ramsey's plan, so I was torn between eating the non-compliant tuna or going against our grocery budget and buying the compliant brand at our local Publix. Canned tuna is a norm for me at work since I work at least 12 hours and more often than not, have to work 15-18 hours due to low staffing. However, my husband then reminded me that canned tuna lasts forever, and since it's only 30 days, we can use what we have after the 30 days. Win win, yay! 

My meals from Day 1:

Breakfast (0600): 4 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of salsa and several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Break (1115): 2 boiled eggs, 4 oz. Mott's unsweetened applesauce, several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): salmon fillet with avocado salsa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, strawberries & grapes 

Break (1815): 3 tbsp. of almonds, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots 

Dinner (1945): 2 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole, 7 grapes 

I'll post my Day 2 meals tomorrow! 

 

jrowe and Steph the Desert Rat like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CTGeorge said:

Happy Day 2, y'all! I had a moment this morning when I was packing my lunch for work. I have about 12 cans of Starkist canned tuna that I bought from Sam's Club a few months ago. It isn't compliant because it has vegetable broth (soy) in it. My husband and I have been trying to get out of debt following Dave Ramsey's plan, so I was torn between eating the non-compliant tuna or going against our grocery budget and buying the compliant brand at our local Publix. Canned tuna is a norm for me at work since I work at least 12 hours and more often than not, have to work 15-18 hours due to low staffing. However, my husband then reminded me that canned tuna lasts forever, and since it's only 30 days, we can use what we have after the 30 days. Win win, yay! 

My meals from Day 1:

Breakfast (0600): 4 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of salsa and several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Break (1115): 2 boiled eggs, 4 oz. Mott's unsweetened applesauce, several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): salmon fillet with avocado salsa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, strawberries & grapes 

Break (1815): 3 tbsp. of almonds, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots 

Dinner (1945): 2 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole, 7 grapes 

I'll post my Day 2 meals tomorrow! 

 

Hey there!  You're on the right track with your meal timing and mini meals... just a little tweaking and you'll be golden!

  Your breakfast needs veggies... like 2-3 cups worth... 

Your first snack... maybe ditch the applesauce and add some veggies... 

Lunch looks great!

Second break - almonds (and all nuts and seeds) are recommended to be limited, so that's a closed handful every other day at most... not sure how 3 tablespoons fits into your hand but just keep that in mind... a snack or mini meal should also have protein.

Dinner needs more veggies :)

Keep going, this looks great and you're almost there!

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm Laura. I started the Whole30 July 1 as well. I struggle with allergies (of many kinds) and skin rashes. Hoping the Whole 30 will help to reset my body. I eat fairly healthy, but the last 2 days have opened my eyes to the hidden sugar culprit. It lurks everywhere!

Looking forward to our journey together for the next 28 days!

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 2:26 PM, CTGeorge said:

Happy Day 2, y'all! I had a moment this morning when I was packing my lunch for work. I have about 12 cans of Starkist canned tuna that I bought from Sam's Club a few months ago. It isn't compliant because it has vegetable broth (soy) in it. My husband and I have been trying to get out of debt following Dave Ramsey's plan, so I was torn between eating the non-compliant tuna or going against our grocery budget and buying the compliant brand at our local Publix. Canned tuna is a norm for me at work since I work at least 12 hours and more often than not, have to work 15-18 hours due to low staffing. However, my husband then reminded me that canned tuna lasts forever, and since it's only 30 days, we can use what we have after the 30 days. Win win, yay! 

My meals from Day 1:

Breakfast (0600): 4 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup of salsa and several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Break (1115): 2 boiled eggs, 4 oz. Mott's unsweetened applesauce, several handfuls of unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): salmon fillet with avocado salsa, broccoli, cauliflower rice, strawberries & grapes 

Break (1815): 3 tbsp. of almonds, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots 

Dinner (1945): 2 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole, 7 grapes 

I'll post my Day 2 meals tomorrow! 

 

This looks good to me! I tend to eat a lot more vegetables than that (helps with satiety), and avoid fruits (does not, also makes me crave sugar). I am happy to post my meals here, if others find it helpful. They are pretty boring, though. I live on my own & usually cook up a bunch of meat & vegetables at the beginning of the week, then eat those in different combinations throughout. Luckily, I really don't mind eating similar meals multiple times. Living in Switzerland, I have access to lots of fresh, healthy food, but not the variety found in the US. Also, amazing cheese & chocolate abounds! :)

 

Happy day 3, folks!

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, snowflower said:

Happy Day 2, all.  I hope everything went well yesterday.  My meals are at crazy times when I work (I'm a floor RN in a hospital).  Breakfast is 5:15, Lunch 2pm, snack 7:30pm, Dinner 9 pm.   Usually I try to have a mid-morning snack too, but yesterday was too busy to sit down until lunch at 2.  Some days I don't snack at all and I am amazed at what being "fat adapted" does for me.  (If you don't know what that means, let me know.)

Feel free to post your meals here....lots of people do that to help stay accountable and to get feedback.  I will post meals when I have more time. :)

Have a great day!

 

 

That is quite a schedule; I bet it forces you to plan well! 

I completely agree with you, re: becoming fat adapted. Once I am there, I feel great & have sustained energy throughout the day. Another reason to eat like this more consistently :)

Wishing you a great day as well!

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrowe said:

This looks good to me! I tend to eat a lot more vegetables than that (helps with satiety), and avoid fruits (does not, also makes me crave sugar). I am happy to post my meals here, if others find it helpful. They are pretty boring, though. I live on my own & usually cook up a bunch of meat & vegetables at the beginning of the week, then eat those in different combinations throughout. Luckily, I really don't mind eating similar meals multiple times. Living in Switzerland, I have access to lots of fresh, healthy food, but not the variety found in the US. Also, amazing cheese & chocolate abounds! :)

 

Happy day 3, folks!

I would love to see your meals! I am not a good cook and don't enjoy cooking, to boot, so I love reading meals from people because it gives me ideas that I normally wouldn't think of. & I don't mind eating similar meals multiple times either, but I can't say the same for the rest of my family =( 

Happy Day 3! My feedback from my Day 1 log is that I need to add more vegetables, which makes it plainly obvious from my Day 2 log that I'm missing a lot of veggies in my meals. I will work on that! 

My meals from Day 2: 

Breakfast (0600): 3 deli turkey slices with guacamole & salsa

Break (0845): 2 scrambled eggs

Break (1115): 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce, RXbar - blueberry, 1/2 Ziploc sandwich bag of baby carrots, unsweetened shredded coconut

Lunch (1400): 3 taco lettuce wraps with guacamole with strawberries and grapes

Dinner (2030): 1 taco lettuce wrap with guacamole, broccoli, 1 medium sweet potato, unsweetened shredded coconut 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

I started on the 2nd.  And both mornings I've had eggs (3) and a veggie smoothie.  The smoothie has broccoli, greens (spinach or kale), chia seeds, water, and 1/4 of a cup of blueberries.  I know smoothies are discouraged, but since the "star of the show" is the veggies is this ok?  I don't like veggies and this is an easier way to get a healthy dose (1/4 coup of broccoli and 3 cups of greens).  I have very limited fruit after that, unless I do a run of more than 5 miles, which I finish with an apple.

Thanks!


Bob

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, damphouse said:

Hi All,

I started on the 2nd.  And both mornings I've had eggs (3) and a veggie smoothie.  The smoothie has broccoli, greens (spinach or kale), chia seeds, water, and 1/4 of a cup of blueberries.  I know smoothies are discouraged, but since the "star of the show" is the veggies is this ok?  I don't like veggies and this is an easier way to get a healthy dose (1/4 coup of broccoli and 3 cups of greens).  I have very limited fruit after that, unless I do a run of more than 5 miles, which I finish with an apple.

Thanks!


Bob

Hi Bob

Smoothies ARE discouraged because blended liquid food digests faster than chewed food and does not send the same satiety responses to your body.  It doesn't really matter that it's mostly veggies.... The recommendations are in place in order to help you get the very most out of your program, however if you choose to have smoothies, as long as the ingredients are compliant it's fine but we would strongly encourage you to bust out of your comfort zone and start eating veggies and experimenting with a variety of kinds and methods of cooking to find something you like... adults need to eat veggies ;)

Second, for your running, the recommendation on post workout food is lean protein and starchy carb.  Fruit replaces your liver glycogen where protein replaces your muscle glycogen so again, the fruit is doing you a disservice (tasty disservice, but one nontheless).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started on July 1st as well.  Repeat participant who knows how to eat but also can't stop when the cupcakes start talking to me.

Day One was a little rocky-- meal 3 was supposed to be lamb chops, asparagus and a baked potato.  Except that I accidentally cooked the little plastic bladder thing with the lamb chops.  Yuck.  I felt full after the baked potato and asparagus so I didn't stress about it.

My biggest struggle is meal 1 vegetables.  

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all.  Happy Day 3.

for those of you with breakfast veggie issues....my favorite options are fresh spinach and arugula (my grocery store sells these combined and pre cut and washed which makes it super simple) with protein.  I just wilt the greens and toss with some olive oil and salt.  I'll do this with eggs or with any leftover protein I have.  My other favorite is to make a big batch of roasted veggies (my favs are brussels sprouts, asparagus, red onion, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers) and then warm up 2 cups or so with my protein.

@CTGeorge I suggest making  your breakfast bigger.  That might help with your hunger and decrease the need for snacks.  

Todays meals (with links to recipes when available) for me follow:

2 egg omelet stuffed with 1/2 Greek lamb burger http://cookprimalgourmet.com/whole-30-greek-burgers, spinach, arugula, green peppers, red onions and coffee with NutPods.

Tuna salad (from Well Fed), green salad with ranch dressing, 1 magic mushroom http://nomnompaleo.com/post/105333542218/magic-mushroom-powder-diy-holiday-gift chicken thigh, honeybush iced tea.

Dinner will be: New York Strip, grilled asparagus, sweet potato bites http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/roasted-herb-sweet-potato-bites/

Then off to see Wonder Woman tonight with my SO and kids.

Have a great day.

 

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is too hot here to roast veggies with any regularity.  Insert sad panda face here.

I often buy the Trader Joe's bag of spinach, kale and swiss chard and wilt it after my eggs are cooked.  I just don't particularly like it!  

Since my last post, I have confirmed I don't like ghee/clarified butter.  We are big fans of Kerrygold butter and that is hard to resist.  Especially when 10 year old DS is making omelet's cooked in butter and filled with cheese.  But so far, so good! 

Otherwise I'm feeling good--trying to sleep, drink green tea and not wonder where DH hid the box of chocolates I asked him to hide...

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Day 4! 

My Day 3 meals: 

Breakfast (0815): 2 1/2 boiled eggs with guacamole and 1 medium sweet potato

Snack (1230): 4 deli turkey breast wraps with guacamole & salsa, unsweetened shredded coconut

Snack (1500): Coconut cream pie Larabar and 1 sesame seaweed sheet 

Dinner (1830): taco meat made with onions and tomatoes stuffed into a baked potato, 3 handfuls of baby carrots, and unsweetened shredded coconut

anaxg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you CTGeorge, I'm going to have lettuce wrapped tacos, because of your post!

Question for the more experienced people.  I'm only on day 3 and feel a bit light headed/weak fairly often.  I'm not particularly hungry though.  Is this me adjusting to no sugar?  I'm barely eating any fruit and no juices at all and historically my diet had tons of sugar.  Thanks!


 

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, damphouse said:

Thank you CTGeorge, I'm going to have lettuce wrapped tacos, because of your post!

Question for the more experienced people.  I'm only on day 3 and feel a bit light headed/weak fairly often.  I'm not particularly hungry though.  Is this me adjusting to no sugar?  I'm barely eating any fruit and no juices at all and historically my diet had tons of sugar.  Thanks!


 

Lightheadedness is usually a cause of not eating enough and not salting your food.... howabout you list out what you've been eating and drinking... specific portion sizes of veggies, fruit, fat and protien.... lets see what we can do to help you feel better because no, you should not be lightheaded due to lack of sugar unless you're not replacing those calories with real food.

CTGeorge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now