Trader Joes Ghee...Compliant or Not Compliant??

Think I found my answer...

The law allows manufacturers a choice in how they identify the specific “food source names,” such as “milk,” “cod,” “shrimp,” or “walnuts,” of the major food allergens on the label. They must be declared either in:

• the ingredient list, such as “casein (milk)” or “nonfat dry milk,” or
  • a separate “Contains” statement, such as “Contains milk,” placed immediately after or next to the ingredient list.

• Moderators

All ghee is made from butter, so it all technically contains milk for labeling purposes, it's just that in the process of making it, the most problematic parts of the milk are strained out, which is why it's okay on whole30.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Bellmaestra said:

There was a lengthy thread on one of the Facebook groups and a lot of disagreement. To me, it looked like the TJ Ghee didn't have all the milk solids strained out, which makes me wonder if it's truly compliant.

Stephanie

We can only go by the rules of the program and the ingredients.  If something calls itself Ghee, then we assume compliance... on that same hand, you're not required to eat it or any particular brand.  Personally, I think the Trader Joe ghee smells terrible and I would never willingly use it again... if you or your facebook ppl are concerned that it's not pure enough, definitely don't use it!  I know what you're talking about in that it's kind of gritty and has little nobules in it, but I think that's just the way it is because when you melt it down, it's clear and with no white foam or residue... that said, there are MANY more ethically sourced, higher quality products that you can use out there :)

Archived