Should I avoid processed meat?

sarahhyoung

I read an article today about how processed meat has been classified by  the WHO as a carcinogen. Per the article, "Processes include salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking." https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/world-health-organization-says-processed-meat-causes-cancer.html

This isn't new, as the article was written in 2015, but it just occurred to me today that I eat a decent amount of processed meats while Whole30ing - chicken sausage, Epic bars, Chomps, etc. Not every day, but I work a lot and rely on things like that in a pinch.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I was under the impression that these things were "healthy" as the ingredients are high quality and they are Whole30 approved. Are these foods ok or should they be avoided?

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 7/2/2017 at 5:45 PM, sarahhyoung said:

I read an article today about how processed meat has been classified by  the WHO as a carcinogen. Per the article, "Processes include salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking." https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/world-health-organization-says-processed-meat-causes-cancer.html

This isn't new, as the article was written in 2015, but it just occurred to me today that I eat a decent amount of processed meats while Whole30ing - chicken sausage, Epic bars, Chomps, etc. Not every day, but I work a lot and rely on things like that in a pinch.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. I was under the impression that these things were "healthy" as the ingredients are high quality and they are Whole30 approved. Are these foods ok or should they be avoided?

That's really a decision that you need to make for yourself... I personally don't eat a lot of processed meat as I prefer food I've cooked myself.  There is research out there on both ends of the spectrum as to the safety and the danger of eating processed meats.  You're right it's not a new discussion.  Some of the things that you need to think about when researching these types of articles is who is sponsoring the research, who it benefits to get people into a lather and basically where the money is... ultimately the decision of whether to consume these types of foods is up to you... If I had a BBQ, I would bbq everything that went in my mouth and there are studies that show that would probably kill me... it's just a matter of your own feelings on the issue and what research you choose to believe.

Archived