Need some tough love

Day 21 is finished for me and I am honestly so proud of myself for getting this far, I feel I have learned an insane amount and I am beyond ready for reintoduction to discover what my diet will be like from day 31 on. Up until yesterday the last few weeks have been surprisingly easy, I love this way of eating. Despite this I am not going into this next week in a good head space and I am not sure how to pull it off. Grocery budget is spent, so the food I have is what I have and I have experienced a series of mishaps. Ran out of oil and my mayo didn't make it so I am now low on healthy fats, tried a new coconut milk brand and used it in several of my meal prep meals for the week and it turns out I hate it, so those meals are going to be tough to get through, I seriously feel like I am starting to hate green veggies and I am going to my mother in laws house who makes the best cheese and wine plates- literally my 2 favorite things. 

I don't miss the stuff I ate before, the more I read the less I want any of it in my life any more but I am struggling. Eating like this is more time consuming, more expensive and sometimes doesn't taste as good- this week for example. Why do they put sugar in all the inexpensive pasta sauce? Why do they use soybean oil in normal mayo? Why has garbage food become the norm so i have to fight to eat in a way that nourishes my body. I  am overwhelmed, and frustrated and could use some tough love to help me not crack. My fiance is trying to help but he did not adopt this plan with me and he is finally starting to get on board just as everything is starting to feel like its falling apart for me. I feel so bad.

BTW plan for getting extra fats is moving my avocado from breakfast to whichever meal is lacking and moving the overly sweet coconut milk to breakfast coffee. Veggies will all be eaten whether I like them or not- I read it takes up to 20 attempts to learn to like a food item and I am an adult- I need to just suck it up, if the toddler can eat it so can I. I just feel so demoralized. 

11 hours ago, dmartino95 said:

Day 21 is finished for me and I am honestly so proud of myself for getting this far, I feel I have learned an insane amount and I am beyond ready for reintoduction to discover what my diet will be like from day 31 on. Up until yesterday the last few weeks have been surprisingly easy, I love this way of eating. Despite this I am not going into this next week in a good head space and I am not sure how to pull it off. Grocery budget is spent, so the food I have is what I have and I have experienced a series of mishaps. Ran out of oil and my mayo didn't make it so I am now low on healthy fats, tried a new coconut milk brand and used it in several of my meal prep meals for the week and it turns out I hate it, so those meals are going to be tough to get through, I seriously feel like I am starting to hate green veggies and I am going to my mother in laws house who makes the best cheese and wine plates- literally my 2 favorite things. 

I don't miss the stuff I ate before, the more I read the less I want any of it in my life any more but I am struggling. Eating like this is more time consuming, more expensive and sometimes doesn't taste as good- this week for example. Why do they put sugar in all the inexpensive pasta sauce? Why do they use soybean oil in normal mayo? Why has garbage food become the norm so i have to fight to eat in a way that nourishes my body. I  am overwhelmed, and frustrated and could use some tough love to help me not crack. My fiance is trying to help but he did not adopt this plan with me and he is finally starting to get on board just as everything is starting to feel like its falling apart for me. I feel so bad.

BTW plan for getting extra fats is moving my avocado from breakfast to whichever meal is lacking and moving the overly sweet coconut milk to breakfast coffee. Veggies will all be eaten whether I like them or not- I read it takes up to 20 attempts to learn to like a food item and I am an adult- I need to just suck it up, if the toddler can eat it so can I. I just feel so demoralized. 

Take a deep breath, and relax for a few minutes! Changing your lifestyle and (probably) years of less than ideal eating habits is not going to happen overnight, or even in the 30 days it takes you to complete your whole30!

You mentioned that you were out of $ in your grocery budget and can't deviate, so that makes me think you're a very strict budgeter. Do you normally have $ set aside for things like dining out/drinks/activities? Since you're probably spending a lot more on grocery food and a lot less dining out you might be able to move some from that section to get you through the next 9 days?

I've seen tons of whole30 on a budget blog posts so you could try getting some ideas from there too. Maybe you could ask your mother in law to put together a veggie platter or fruit plate for you in addition to the cheese/wine plates.

Also, it's worth validating that yes, eating this way is more time consuming and expensive. But, when you think about your health and your body, which is the only one you'll get, I feel like that is a good place to spend your time and money. And also worth noting that the more you practice and tweak your budget and meals the easier it gets. I've been living a whole30 lifestyle for 3 years now, and it's become second nature to me. Hang in there - you're doing an amazing thing for yourself!!

• 2 weeks later...

Racheleats, I just looked back and realized I did not respond to your post. Yesterday was my day 30 and I wanted to let you know your advice was exactly what I needed and got me through my last week. I sincerely thank you.

For anyone in a similar boat to mine who might read this in the future, Rachel's advice worked perfectly. After looking over my budget I found I spent half as much "fun money" this month due to the lack of junk food. I bought more groceries to get me through the month and added the leftover money into a new category for myself "fun groceries", I bought easy to cook foods so I could skip cooking a meal or two, interesting ingredients and new spices to re motivate me in the kitchen and kombucha, proscutto and melon to eat while the family had the cheese tray and wine. 

Lastly, a statistic that put this increase in expenditure in perspective for me is- according to the American Diabetes association "People with diagnosed diabetes incur an average medical expenditures of about $13,700 per year, of which about $7,900 is attributed to diabetes". This is way more than the small increase my food budget required.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, dmartino95 said:

Racheleats, I just looked back and realized I did not respond to your post. Yesterday was my day 30 and I wanted to let you know your advice was exactly what I needed and got me through my last week. I sincerely thank you.

For anyone in a similar boat to mine who might read this in the future, Rachel's advice worked perfectly. After looking over my budget I found I spent half as much "fun money" this month due to the lack of junk food. I bought more groceries to get me through the month and added the leftover money into a new category for myself "fun groceries", I bought easy to cook foods so I could skip cooking a meal or two, interesting ingredients and new spices to re motivate me in the kitchen and kombucha, proscutto and melon to eat while the family had the cheese tray and wine. 

Lastly, a statistic that put this increase in expenditure in perspective for me is- according to the American Diabetes association "People with diagnosed diabetes incur an average medical expenditures of about $13,700 per year, of which about $7,900 is attributed to diabetes". This is way more than the small increase my food budget required.

I am SO glad to hear that your experience turned around!! The same thing happened to me when I first started changing my diet - I was overwhelmed by the expense, but as soon as I realized I was spending WAYYY less on alcohol and dining out I relaxed a little more :)

Also, Kombucha and prosciutto/melon sounds like a perfect replacement for wine and cheese board - and none of the pesky side effects!

Archived