Getting back on my bike after being derailed by #life

kmh

I completed my first Whole30 March 27th, I felt amazing. My energy levels were high, my overall mental clarity and ability to manage stress was unbelievable, I lost 10 pounds, my body composition changed, and my palette was rejuvenated and awakened. I was committed to continue my journey within the paleo framework. I was fully inspired and motivated to continue on my new clean paleo life!

The most refreshing aspect of my next phase in my new paleo lifestyle was that I no longer craved all the "bad things". There were a few occasions that I would be at a social event, or out to eat and would have something that wasn't within the paleo framework but my ability to maintain healthy portion control was quite impressive (something that wasn't always the case before my first Whole30). I noticed the biggest difference if I ate gluten -- it was as if I was kicked in the stomach by a donkey. Thus, making the choice to avoid gluten all together very easy.

Then, I was thrown off my own bike by, life. My youngest brother (22) was the victim of an unprovoked assault and suffered severe head trauma resulting in emergency brain surgery. Life as I knew it was gone. Living within the ICU waiting room, and a hotel room with the rest of my immediate family became my new normal. Needless to say, maintaining a healthy paleo diet quickly went by the wayside. I was in shock, everything was surreal, and I was just trying to get through each day. I had no appetite, I ate whatever someone put in front of me. This included, burgers with the bun, french fries, sandwiches, pizza, and who knows what else. After a month of this, I realized what a slippery slope this was. I felt awful, I wasn't sleeping well, and my ability to manage stress was out the window -- less than ideal given my current situation.

Fortunately, my brother is out of the hospital and continuing on his journey to recovery and is doing very well all things considered. Now, it's time for me to get my life back on track. I need to get back on my bike, who knows, I may even need training wheels for the first week. I've decided to do a Whole15 to get me back to where I would like to be -- it may turn into a whole30, we'll see.

I decided to post this blog to make myself more accountable, and provide motivation to keep me on track.

Firstly, I'm happy for you that things have turned a corner and kudos to you for having the motivation to get back up and have another go. Sounds like you've been through a tremendous amount. No matter what our intentions are, sometimes life just gets in the way and in your case sounds like being with your family was the only priority you could afford yourself. That's ok. I spent 2 years off my bike after 1 life event completely consumed me and while it took time, I'm back and better than ever. Good luck on your w15 and keep us updated!

Archived