Crockpot Freezer meals make it easier to follow Whole30 than to NOT follow it!

Tomorrow is my final day of my first ever Whole30 journey!  Because I have lacked commitment to diets in the past I decided that I needed to really plan things out to make it work for me.  I looked at all the local sales and found great deals on meats, fish and shrimp at buy one get one free.  I found sales and built a meal plan around what was on sale.  Then I spent one day shopping and measuring out meals into big freezer bags.  I packed 18 meals the first time and 10 the second time.  I tried to prepare enough so that I would be able to save leftovers for lunch the next day too.  This made it far more convenient and easy for me to stick to the plan than to go off it.  

Does anyone else use this method of preparing meals to save time, money and avoid temptation?

wow 18 meals in one sitting. was that like 2 or 3 of each meal or 18 times one types?

can you give ideas on what ones you did. i try to meal prep on a Sunday but usually run out of steam at about 2pm.

On 05/07/2017 at 11:37 PM, chicklet65 said:

Tomorrow is my final day of my first ever Whole30 journey!  Because I have lacked commitment to diets in the past I decided that I needed to really plan things out to make it work for me.  I looked at all the local sales and found great deals on meats, fish and shrimp at buy one get one free.  I found sales and built a meal plan around what was on sale.  Then I spent one day shopping and measuring out meals into big freezer bags.  I packed 18 meals the first time and 10 the second time.  I tried to prepare enough so that I would be able to save leftovers for lunch the next day too.  This made it far more convenient and easy for me to stick to the plan than to go off it.  

Does anyone else use this method of preparing meals to save time, money and avoid temptation?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 1:43 PM, bevmouse said:

I do batch cooking and prep on the weekend but I only have 2 weeks worth of Tupperware

Right?! And only the cupboard/freezer space for that much anyway.

I'm trying to just start freezing two-meal size containers of the starchier side of my diet. This is the part that usually takes me the longest to prep, and the part I start skipping if I'm always running out of time, and the part, if I stop eating it, that leads me to feeling totally drained and dreaming about toast, and then eating toast and then tortilla chips etc, etc.

3 hours ago, chichi said:

Right?! And only the cupboard/freezer space for that much anyway.

I'm trying to just start freezing two-meal size containers of the starchier side of my diet. This is the part that usually takes me the longest to prep, and the part I start skipping if I'm always running out of time, and the part, if I stop eating it, that leads me to feeling totally drained and dreaming about toast, and then eating toast and then tortilla chips etc, etc.

What kind of starchy things do you freeze and how do you prepare and freeze them? And then warm/defrost/cook them later?

I do mashed potatoes, which I leave pretty bland, just garlic and olive oil and salt, so it can go any direction. Also mashed sweet potatoes, usually spiced with cayenne, cumin, ginger, chili powder, a little nutmeg. I also do lots of spaghetti squash, baked and shredded and then frozen, no seasoning.

So when I go to make dinner, I defrost/microwave that while I cook a meat/protein with a sauce/veg, be that ground or strips or I just reheat some meat that I made in the crock-pot that week. Sometimes it looks like: mashed potatoes, a layer of spinach, taco-seasoned ground beef cooked with a green bell pepper, salsa, half an avocado for each of us. Or it could be a: sweet potatoes, a lemon-parsley-tahini sauce if I made some that weekend (I got this from somebody's IG, I'll have to find it), ground pork with mushrooms and a '21-seasoning' blend, and some shredded cabbage. Or: spaghetti squash, kale or some green or broccoli cooked with a meat, and compliant pasta sauce.

So all those take as long as it takes me to brown some ground beef and assemble, pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 12:03 PM, pearlgirl2017 said:

I've tried the Italian Lemon Chicken (cooked in the oven instead of the crockpot) from this site.  We thought it was really good.

https://newleafwellness.biz/2017/03/21/the-ultimate-whole30-slow-cooker-freezer-meal-plan/

I tried some delicious recipes from that plan. I liked the citrus chicken, the garlic-mint pork loin, the steak Italiano, the beef and cabbage soup, and the paleo chili. 

I do struggle a bit with the slow cooker thing because it can end up making so many servings, and after a couple of days I'm over it. I will probably make some of these this time around, but I will have to think about freezing some leftovers where I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I get together with one of my sisters about once a month.  We each get the ingredients for a double batch of two different recipes, cooking one each ahead of time, then we cook the other two meals together.  We've always had at least one soup, and everything is compliant.  I had a handful of items in the freezer before starting this round of the whole30, and it truly made life easier.  

Archived