Starting July 17

SLHorowitz86

Hi All,

My goal is to start Round 1 on July 17. My husbands birthday is the 16th and we are in the process of moving, so I didnt think it'd be right to lie to myself and say i'd be on track throughout those dates! so the 17th it is! I am considering just purchasing the 30 day meal prep with "Pre-Made Paleo" since with the move, things are a bit crazy, and this will give me all the foods i need to be compliant for all 30 days...

I was once a stellar athlete and in incredible shape... and then I was diagnosed with arthritis, have had two hip surgeries, and a shoulder surgery and have also been diagnosed with PCOS and my shape is now less than stellar. I am doing whole30 in hopes to both get rid of my PCOS as well as to feel better so that my athletic performance can improve and my joint pain will go away.

For those of you who have done W30 in the past, what have been your results?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

I was once a stellar athlete and in incredible shape... and then I was diagnosed with arthritis, have had two hip surgeries, and a shoulder surgery and have also been diagnosed with PCOS and my shape is now less than stellar. I am doing whole30 in hopes to both get rid of my PCOS as well as to feel better so that my athletic performance can improve and my joint pain will go away.

Hi there!  Welcome!  Your second paragraph stuck with me because I feel like I was similar, back in the day (like in college, and then everything went downhill after I was no longer in college athletics).  I also have some arthritis in my knees, a result of sports-related knee injuries.  I've never had surgery, but it's gotten worse to the point where I'm now going through a round of gel shots to see if it will help (I'm 38 - I feel way too young to have arthritis already!)

Anyway, I just got through my first round of Whole30.  I cannot say if this diet will definitely help your afflictions, because everyone is different.  I can tell you that it helped SOME of my problems, but not all.  I no longer have any heartburn or other digestive issues.  I have a lot more energy during the day and don't have any afternoon "crashes" at my desk anymore.  I sleep better.  I feel better.  My mood is better.  Unfortunately, it did not help with the arthritis in my right knee (this knee was always significantly worse than my left).  However, it did get rid of some mild shin splints (I have no shin splints AT ALL anymore), reduced the stiffness in my feet that I have every morning (it's not entirely gone, but markedly improved), and allowed a sprained right ankle to finally heal completely.  Not to mention, I lost 12 lbs and 3" from my waist.

For you, I think it's at least worth a shot.  Even if it doesn't clear up your issues, I think you will benefit greatly from learning how different foods affect your body.  Everyone I know who's done Whole30 thought it was extremely eye-opening, regardless of their ultimate goals, myself included.  Keep in mind, though, that the process is not just "30 days and you're done".  If you really want to LEARN from the process, you need to commit yourself to reintroductions after, which is another 10-15 days, and then hopefully incorporate what you've learned into your life in a way that works for you (I'm still in the final days of reintros).

Regarding the Pre-Made Paleo meals, I suggest doing a search in the forums on Pre-Made Paleo and see what turns up.  I feel like I read somewhere that the servings are not particularly filling, but I may be wrong.  You NEED to be full and satiated at each meal on Whole30 because you're supposed to avoid snacking.  Personally, I wouldn't rely on just pre-made meals through the entire Whole30.  The point of Whole30 is to teach yourself how to read labels, how to make healthy choices, how to rid yourself of bad eating behaviors, and how to prepare quality, satiating meals.  If someone else is doing all of that work for you, then what are you really learning from the process?   Maybe consider just ordering SOME pre-made meals to have on hand, for the times when you really can't cook your own meals.  Or consider moving your start date down the road a little, to a time that will be less hectic so you can better prepare your own meals.

Good luck with the Whole30!!  The forums are a great resource.  Start your own log in the "Your Whole30 Log" section - I found it extremely beneficial to keep a "diary" of my experience, especially because I connected with two other great women who were on this journey at the same time.  It was so nice to have some other people to share ideas and experiences with.

@laurelerin22 I am happy to hear that you lost weight... that is also a PRIMARY reason behind why I am doing this. PCOS has been the primary culprit behind my near 40lb weight gain. Hearing that you, and so many other people I know, lost weight by doing Whole30 gives me hope since nothing else i've tried has worked.

You also convinced me not to do the pre-made paleo. You are right that I should learn to read the labels myself. So i have prepared my 7 day menu and I'm all set to get my butt to the farmers market and grocery store this weekend, and start my prep!

I am looking forward to getting started and to maintain this life style. It goes hand in hand with crossfit so it should be easy to maintain afterwards.

Thanks for reaching out in my post!

Hello!  I too am looking to start on July 17th!  I am going on a little road trip at the end of the week and I don't want to have to worry about finding compliant food. This will be my 3rd round, although I ate paleo for about 9 months before I ever did a Whole30.

I am a teacher and I've committed my summer break to developing a healthy mindset and exercise routine.  I've eaten fairly healthy, but I know that I feel best after a Whole30.  I've still been eating some grains, dairy, and sugar.  I want to get those out of my system for a while (and would love to leave them!)

In my paleo/Whole30 lifestyle I lost 60lbs.  But even more than the weightloss, I felt AMAZING, I slept better, didn't have the afternoon slump, and stomach upset was majorly reduced!  I also have a lot of inflammation in my left ankle from an old injury, but with whole30, the swelling disappears and I am virtually pain free!

Have you read any of the books?  Food Freedom describes exactly the kind of life I want to have.  I have worked so hard on my mindset, so hopefully, I will find food Freedom!

i don't know anything about the prepared meals, but I agree that you need to cook at least some of your foods.  I look at foods and labels with new eyes now--even when I'm not looking to eat compliant foods.

good luck"

Yesterday was my mans birthday and he requested spaghetti, garlic bread, apple pie and ice cream. But life happens and we will be having the family for the birthday dinner tonight instead.  I know there will be leftovers for tomorrow.  And possibly the next day.  Ice cream has always been my weakness.  Just give me a tub of Blue Bell and a spoon and leave me alone.

By the time Monday rolls around I should have the fridge stocked with good stuff again.  Starting this morning I will gradually ease into the no cream and sugar in my coffee (used almond milk but couldn't hack it without the packet of Truvia).  I first tried it black but didn't like it at all, probably best if I do without it completely.  Same with the Dr. Pepper's and 7-Up's.

If this helps me lose about 15 pounds over the next few months that will be a plus.  My blood pressure is better when my weight is lower.  But what really has me scared is my last blood work analysis.  My HbA1c is back slightly into the pre-diabetic range at 5.8, and my ADMA (inflammation marker) is at 149.  I'm following in my grandmothers footsteps.  She was diabetic, had her first heart attack at 60 and died from another at 79.  I'm 53.  Now I seriously have to ask myself "Is this french fry worth dying for?"

I intend to go for a Whole60.

Hi Pearlgirl,

My results from a little over a month of whole30-ish eating (2 weeks of transition and 2+ weeks of intending to be whole30 but not reading a few labels well enough) included getting off of blood pressure medications and having lower BP; going from the high end of pre-diabetic range to well within normal, and I dropped almost 20 lbs.  Everyone is different of course, but the potential for significant results is real.  Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Hi Pearlgirl,

My results from a little over a month of whole30-ish eating (2 weeks of transition and 2+ weeks of intending to be whole30 but not reading a few labels well enough) included getting off of blood pressure medications and having lower BP; going from the high end of pre-diabetic range to well within normal, and I dropped almost 20 lbs.  Everyone is different of course, but the potential for significant results is real.  Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement.  Looking forward to it.

23 hours ago, allisonra said:

Hello!  I too am looking to start on July 17th!  I am going on a little road trip at the end of the week and I don't want to have to worry about finding compliant food. This will be my 3rd round, although I ate paleo for about 9 months before I ever did a Whole30.

I am a teacher and I've committed my summer break to developing a healthy mindset and exercise routine.  I've eaten fairly healthy, but I know that I feel best after a Whole30.  I've still been eating some grains, dairy, and sugar.  I want to get those out of my system for a while (and would love to leave them!)

In my paleo/Whole30 lifestyle I lost 60lbs.  But even more than the weightloss, I felt AMAZING, I slept better, didn't have the afternoon slump, and stomach upset was majorly reduced!  I also have a lot of inflammation in my left ankle from an old injury, but with whole30, the swelling disappears and I am virtually pain free!

Have you read any of the books?  Food Freedom describes exactly the kind of life I want to have.  I have worked so hard on my mindset, so hopefully, I will find food Freedom!

i don't know anything about the prepared meals, but I agree that you need to cook at least some of your foods.  I look at foods and labels with new eyes now--even when I'm not looking to eat compliant foods.

good luck"

hi @allisonra! That is awesome that you have had such great success with Whole30! i am looking forward to both getting a healthier relationship with food (stop calorie counting and tracking my macros and saying adios to myfitnesspal) and also weight loss and feeling better physically too! I have read "it starts with food" and i have Read the Whole 30 (30 day guide to total health and food freedom) book... i have not read "food freedom" yet, though, it is on my list. 

I've planned out my first week of meals and created my grocery list so i am on the right path for week 1 success. My husband also claims he is going to go through this with me as well, as we both want to improve in our athletics. It will be easier to do with him on board, but he knows that if he fails this is something that i SIMPLY cannot give up on.  I currently eat pretty healthy.. my downfall is the booze. I am a wine-o and enjoy partaking in a few... ok, more than a few, libations. (BUT! only on weekends!!!) I dont like to consider myself an alcoholic but i do feel like i cannot go a week without it. So! I am looking forward to committing to Whole30 to also cut out my alcohol consumption and eventually and gradually re-introduce it. I think wine has been the cause for my joint pain. I've read that the sulfates do that over time... ANYWAY! I am excited to see what changes i go through and i am really excited to take on this new outlook on food!

Good luck on your next round, and keep me updated!! its always easier to not go through these alone :)

3 hours ago, Dani Chris said:

Hi SLH! I'm starting July 17th as well :) Perhaps we can check in and support each other. This is my first Whole30 as well and I am excited and nervous!

~Dani

That would be great!!! keep me posted on your progress and your "feels" during your process. I'm scared for the "crashing and burning" feeling for weeks 1 and 2 but very excited for the "tiger blood" I hope i get that!!!

4 hours ago, pearlgirl2017 said:

Yesterday was my mans birthday and he requested spaghetti, garlic bread, apple pie and ice cream. But life happens and we will be having the family for the birthday dinner tonight instead.  I know there will be leftovers for tomorrow.  And possibly the next day.  Ice cream has always been my weakness.  Just give me a tub of Blue Bell and a spoon and leave me alone.

By the time Monday rolls around I should have the fridge stocked with good stuff again.  Starting this morning I will gradually ease into the no cream and sugar in my coffee (used almond milk but couldn't hack it without the packet of Truvia).  I first tried it black but didn't like it at all, probably best if I do without it completely.  Same with the Dr. Pepper's and 7-Up's.

If this helps me lose about 15 pounds over the next few months that will be a plus.  My blood pressure is better when my weight is lower.  But what really has me scared is my last blood work analysis.  My HbA1c is back slightly into the pre-diabetic range at 5.8, and my ADMA (inflammation marker) is at 149.  I'm following in my grandmothers footsteps.  She was diabetic, had her first heart attack at 60 and died from another at 79.  I'm 53.  Now I seriously have to ask myself "Is this french fry worth dying for?"

I intend to go for a Whole60.

I hear ya! my husbands birthday is this Sunday and we are moving on Saturday so i knew not to even bother trying to start sooner. Life has been pretty hectic the past couple weeks!! I am sad to be doing this over summer (there goes enjoying bbq's and pool parties) but i KNOW that i just ABSOLUTELY have to do this.

I've tried so many other fad diets.. you name it, i tried it. I'm now 31 years old and was diagnosed at 28 with PCOS, which has kept me from losing weight no matter how hard i try.  I am sure my many years of yo-yo dieting didn't help towards my hormone imbalance. I've gained near 40 lbs. over the past 6 years...losing weight is my primary focus. Since being diagnosed with the PCOS i've been prescribed Metformin & Victoza which were supposed to help me lose weight (they didn't).  But other than my insulin resistance (a side effect of PCOS) i am really healthy. Every time i go to the doc i am told how perfect my BP is, and my cholesterol levels are great, and I am incredibly healthy... BUT... my favorite line... "you have to lose some weight"... as if my gut hanging over my pants doesn't give me any indication of that fact day in and day out. I really hope that this will be the cure to PCOS because i also would like to get pregnant and PCOS makes it very difficult to do so.... 

Then there is my Joint pain - a whole other story.... but one i'm hoping to be better with Whole30.

I work out quite a bit.. (i use to be a body builder) so i know that a lot of my Scale Weight is muscle mass... so ultimately my NSV is to lose 2 pant sizes and get back into a size 8 and a Medium. (currently i am at a 12 and a large). I also want my NSV to include getting off all my meds (victoza being #1) I know i won't do it in 30 days, so I am planning on continuing my Whole30 journey past the 30 day mark. I just figure i can COMMIT 100% to a 30day program... so i'm gonna start there... baby steps. 

Best of luck to you!!!

1 hour ago, SLHorowitz86 said:

I hear ya! my husbands birthday is this Sunday and we are moving on Saturday so i knew not to even bother trying to start sooner. Life has been pretty hectic the past couple weeks!! I am sad to be doing this over summer (there goes enjoying bbq's and pool parties) but i KNOW that i just ABSOLUTELY have to do this.

I've tried so many other fad diets.. you name it, i tried it. I'm now 31 years old and was diagnosed at 28 with PCOS, which has kept me from losing weight no matter how hard i try.  I am sure my many years of yo-yo dieting didn't help towards my hormone imbalance. I've gained near 40 lbs. over the past 6 years...losing weight is my primary focus. Since being diagnosed with the PCOS i've been prescribed Metformin & Victoza which were supposed to help me lose weight (they didn't).  But other than my insulin resistance (a side effect of PCOS) i am really healthy. Every time i go to the doc i am told how perfect my BP is, and my cholesterol levels are great, and I am incredibly healthy... BUT... my favorite line... "you have to lose some weight"... as if my gut hanging over my pants doesn't give me any indication of that fact day in and day out. I really hope that this will be the cure to PCOS because i also would like to get pregnant and PCOS makes it very difficult to do so.... 

Then there is my Joint pain - a whole other story.... but one i'm hoping to be better with Whole30.

I work out quite a bit.. (i use to be a body builder) so i know that a lot of my Scale Weight is muscle mass... so ultimately my NSV is to lose 2 pant sizes and get back into a size 8 and a Medium. (currently i am at a 12 and a large). I also want my NSV to include getting off all my meds (victoza being #1) I know i won't do it in 30 days, so I am planning on continuing my Whole30 journey past the 30 day mark. I just figure i can COMMIT 100% to a 30day program... so i'm gonna start there... baby steps. 

Best of luck to you!!!

Best of luck to you as well, and to everyone else.  No, forget luck.  My man's dad had a saying, "Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance".   So, meal plans and what if/then plans. (And a little luck wouldn't hurt)

Trying to stay psyched for the upcoming start day.  Went without coffee completely this morning, still not able to drink it black.  Maybe after being completely off sugar for a while my tastes will change.  Not that I'm too worried about it.  What good does coffee really do for us anyway?  The book has a point, if you don't like coffee black it isn't the coffee that you like.  It's the cream and/or sugar you really want.

I can drink my iced tea unsweetened.  But I've always had to add honey to my hot cups of tea.  Not because I need it sweetened, but because it seems to leave my throat feeling stripped and raw.

I am really looking forward to my pants not cutting into me when I sit here at the computer.

Hi all,  I'm gearing up to start my W30 again after only making it to day 13 in the last one.  I decided to quit my long time job and ended up not sticking to the W30 (the usual emotional eating and drinking!) so I'm starting again.  Feeling pretty disappointed in myself but  I just have to get back on the horse as soon as I can so....  I've taken a couple of days off and am ready to go again!    

What I'm looking for here is lots of support please!  I want to make it through this time! 

And @pearlgirl2017 I too am looking forward to my pants not cutting into me! as well as  my muffin top magically disappearing ;)

Hi aussiegal,  do you have the support of your family (husband/companion/roommate)?  My man looked at me and said "yeah right".  I'm only cooking one evening meal so whether he likes it or not he's going to eat compliant food for dinner.  I know he will like the food, he'll just miss the rice and rolls.  

The hardest part for me will be making sure to eat breakfast, and giving up the ice cream.   I think I could eat breakfast easily if it were ice cream.  I have been making green smoothies for breakfast at about 8 a.m.  I still didn't drink them until about 11.  

Working on my meal plan for next week, tomorrow is my grocery day.

Birthday spaghetti - gone, garlic bread - gone, apple pie - gone, ice cream - gone.  Got my magnifying glass in my purse to take grocery shopping with me today.  I'll really be able to read if they are sneaking sugars or grains into any of the stuff I think I need.

Hey All, I'm starting my first Whole 30 on July 17th, too.  I just turned 40 and I'm a good 35 lbs overweight.  Like you former athletes, I have some glory days behind me, too.  I served in the Marine nCorps and well, you can imagine that after 2 kids and just life in general, I'm not in the shape I was before.  All of a sudden, all these weird aches and pains have started cropping up and I started to wonder if maybe how I eat (which is a free for all, really) has something to do with it.  I read It Starts With Food and then bought The Whole 30 guide and they made perfect sense.  I do work out 3-4 times a week...mostly OrangeTheory workouts, but I'm not losing weight.  My doctor said I have adrenal fatigue and all kinds of hormonal imbalances so that's the push I needed to finally get started.  I've threatened to start this for a while now, but decided that there will always be something coming up that will get in the way and I just don't want to push it off anymore.  Looking forward to taking this on with you guys. =)

On 7/15/2017 at 2:02 AM, pearlgirl2017 said:

Hi aussiegal,  do you have the support of your family (husband/companion/roommate)?  My man looked at me and said "yeah right".  I'm only cooking one evening meal so whether he likes it or not he's going to eat compliant food for dinner.  I know he will like the food, he'll just miss the rice and rolls.  

The hardest part for me will be making sure to eat breakfast, and giving up the ice cream.   I think I could eat breakfast easily if it were ice cream.  I have been making green smoothies for breakfast at about 8 a.m.  I still didn't drink them until about 11.  

Working on my meal plan for next week, tomorrow is my grocery day.

Hi all,

@pearlgirl2017 at least your man gave you a "yeah right" mine gave me a "heck no!"  But that's ok.  He has never been interested or inclined towards anything like this as he is highly active and just eats what he wants but I'm with you I'm only cooking one lot of meals and he can have the additions like the spuds, pasta etc.    And as far as missing the ice cream - mine is wine.  That's going to be tough for me but at least I know it's not something I'd have for breakfast so my heart goes out to you with the ice cream thing! ;)

So....I've cooked up a mass of chicken thighs in paprika and garlic (courtesy of Well Fed), baked sweet potatoes, sauteed in ghee lots of mixed veg ( Ok I fess up one was a frozen thai packet  but I love the mix!) and boiled up a dozen eggs.   I'm making the mayo today to have for the week and I think this little duck is just about good to go....

@Yolmz I hear you.  I'm overweight with aches and pains...and the hormonal stuff.   I have just started working out after a long time being sedentary but remember being highly active and fit in a former life somewhere.  I hope that girl is still in there somewhere!

After reading Its starts with food and Whole 30 books  I'm putting on my smarty pants and happy hat and planning to get thru to 30 days this time!  It's. not. hard. B)

Mairead here:).

Planning  to start on the 17th but I will only be able to do 27 or 28 days, as I leave on a vacation to Disneyworld on the 13th.  I will try for the 30 days but I'm not sure I feel I will be able to be totally compliant as I will be travelling with others.  One has a nut allergy, so that crutch will be gone.

I want to do it for dietary reasons.  I have a ton of food sensitivities and spend much of life bloated and uncomfortable.  I also have PCOS, dermatitis, Joint pain, chronic tendinitis and a variety of other inflammatory "things"...  having just turned 40 isn't helping my self-esteem either.

I would love to see the tendinitis clear up, even if nothing else happened.  Also, I have a suspicion that I am a "problem drinker" in that I like my wine and rarely (never?) stop at one glass.  

I may end up using this site as a support tool.  Hope I don't annoy anyone;).

Thanks for reading!

19 hours ago, Maireada said:

Planning  to start on the 17th but I will only be able to do 27 or 28 days, as I leave on a vacation to Disneyworld on the 13th.  I will try for the 30 days but I'm not sure I feel I will be able to be totally compliant as I will be travelling with others.  One has a nut allergy, so that crutch will be gone.

I want to do it for dietary reasons.  I have a ton of food sensitivities and spend much of life bloated and uncomfortable.  I also have PCOS, dermatitis, Joint pain, chronic tendinitis and a variety of other inflammatory "things"...  having just turned 40 isn't helping my self-esteem either.

I would love to see the tendinitis clear up, even if nothing else happened.  Also, I have a suspicion that I am a "problem drinker" in that I like my wine and rarely (never?) stop at one glass.  

Thanks for reading!

@Maireada glad to have you aboard for as long as possible!  I've had a couple of false starts recently so am really trying to commit with this one.  I keep telling myself 30. days. is. not. hard.  And I love my wine too so I'm gonna miss that ;) 

Today is Monday 17 for me but I think I'm a day ahead on this part of the planet.   So here we all go for our 30 days.  I'm looking forward to the support and posting here.

Meal 1  spinach scrambled eggs (3 eggs) plus half an avo

Meal 2  vegetable hash (cooked with ghee) with grilled chicken.  Add a dash of olive oil and lime juice at the end. 

Meal 3  warm chicken salad ( I'll heat my chicken thigh and  add to salad made from lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, one egg and home made Mayo). 

cheers 

Just wanted to say hello and good luck to all of us starting July 17th! I just made a grocery store trip and my husband hit up the farmers market this am. I'm planning out our meals for the upcoming week:

Breakfasts: eggs w/ veggies; sweet potato "toast"; this grain-free porridge I found

Lunch: chicken, veggies, potatoes

Dinner: fish, potatoes, kale

That's what we've got so far!

Good luck everyone! Enjoy! I can't wait for my tiger blood :):D

~Dani

Great aussiegal, you get to let us know what to expect ahead of time.  

I may have already screwed up this morning.  I had baby kale sauteed in (a tablespoon of) ghee scrambled eggs.  Was I supposed to add another fat like an avocado slice or something?  I don't want to over think this, but I do want to learn to do it correctly.

Happy Start Day!!! i was worried I wouldn't be able to start today because my weekend was CRAZYYYYYYYY. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday moving out of our house into a temporary living situation while we build our new house, and then had to unpack the stuff in the apartment!! On top of the move, I had to celebrate my husbands birthday with his family!  So last night we went to hibachi and didn't get home til after 8, then had to have cake - and everyone didn't leave until well after 9pm - so needless to say i did not get in my meal prep :( But! i was able to get up a bit earlier today and made a salad with hard boiled eggs for both breakfast and lunch with the Whole30 Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe. The dressing is very garlic-y... i REALLY wish i could chew some gum... ah well... hope nobody comes too close :) . In addition to those salads, i have some berries. Dinner tonight is going to be steak with veggies and cauliflower mash.

My husband and I are going to tackle meal prep for the rest of the week tonight! 

Best of luck to you all!!!

On 7/15/2017 at 11:57 PM, Maireada said:

Thanks for reading!

Hey @Maireada!

We're Disney Twins!  LOL!    I will be at Disney World the same weekend you'll be there.  I leave on the 11th at night so my last few days of the Whole 30 are going to be in the Happiest Place on Earth.  :D  I still wanted to start because, like I said before, there will always be a reason not to start.  We can do this!  

Archived