What to do with half a pig's head?

NickelRood

Hi all,

So I have half a pig's head in my freezer that I really want to cook (and free up valuable freezer real estate!), but I'm stumped as to what Whole30-compliant thing to do with it.  I typically roast it, chop it up, and use it in tacos and burritos, but that's obviously right out...anyone have any ideas?  I don't just want to eat slice of meat + serving of veg for 16 meals straight...that's the quickest way to send me round the bend!

Thanks for any suggestions, and I hope this question is appropriate for this section of the forum...if not, just let me know and I'll repost it elsewhere. :)

• Moderators

Um, definitely tacos and burritos... it's not 'out' persay, just the wrapper is out!  Make taco salad?  You can also make an amazing broth/gelatin from it that would be extremely healthy and probably delish!

At first I was like, "But how can I make a taco salad without tortilla chips and beans and cheese??"  Then I realized I could still put salsa and tomatoes and stuff on it, and it'll still be pretty yummy. :D  I could even toss some fruit in there!

There's A LOT of meat on a pig's head though--even half a pig's head--so I am still open to suggestions!  And yes, I do plan on making soup or broth from the bones. :)  (Usually I make congee, but that's.....out, lol.)

• Moderators

Okay I have to ask... what sort of meat is on the head?  Do you get the brain also? I've had pig's brain, it's delish!  Could you make pulled pork out of pig head meat?  Or do you grind it and then cook it?  I"m so intrigued!  I could look it up on google but I"m just so interested in what a real person does with it! :)

Archived