Construction Worker lunches needed

Barb Owens

Hi All,

My husband and I are taking on this challenge together however, I am spoiled at work because I work inside with all of the necessities.  He works on construction sites and has no microwave, fridge, plugs...well maybe a few if they're in.... and he doesn't even have a table to sit at.  He uses his tailgate.  I see heads nodding at this.  Sound familiar?

If anyone has any ideas for lunches for a lunchbox only, I'd be more than grateful

Thanks much

• Moderators

These are for kids, so the serving sizes will be too small, but maybe you can get some ideas: http://nomnompaleo.com/paleolunchboxes

If he wants something warm, you might want to invest in a thermos or some kind of insulated lunchbox, but if he's okay with cold food, really, anything can be eaten cold, it really just depends on his taste and what he's okay with. (I know you said lunch box, but I'm assuming he uses a cooler -- if it's truly just a non-insulated lunch box, mayo-based stuff is not a good idea, which would change some of these suggestions.) Leftover chicken or burger patties or meatballs or frittatas. Hard boiled eggs. Roasted vegetables can be eaten cold, or look for hearty salads -- things like potato salad, coleslaw, broccoli salad. Regular salads are fine too, but be sure they're huge or include heartier vegetables in addition to the leafy greens, or they may not keep him satisfied through the afternoon. And definitely include a couple of servings of fat -- a whole avocado if he likes them, heaping handfuls of olives, mayo, salad dressings or dips (even if he doesn't have a salad, he can pour them over his food or use them as a dip). 

I'm assuming he's pretty active for work, so err on the side of packing more than you think he'll need, at least for the first week or so -- better he have too much food the first few days, and then you can adjust from there, rather than have him end up hungry part way through the afternoon with no compliant foods available.

Thanks so much for the great tips.  I was laughing at the lunchbox.  He actually has an igloo cooler that is insulated but he would be the coolest guy on the construction site with a Spiderman lunchbox. I'm realizing that I have to get creative with his lunches.  He usually has sandwiches with chips so I will make the changes that you suggested.  He's very active which I took into consideration and he's also hypoglycemic so he has to have more to eat throughout the day.   A thermos will be a great idea and you gave me a great selection to choose.  It's just not easy for the construction crew having no amenities.  

Thanks for the ideas!  

• 1 month later...

There are lots of chunky stews, soups and chili's that would go in a good thermos.  I took a tuna salad and lettuce leaves to roll it in to a lacrosse tournament last weekend.  I think I am making a big batch of chili (yes I know it is summer) with lots of toppings from the garden and non-whole 30 toppings for the kids (they can add black beans, cheese,,,,)

My husband eats a lot of his lunches cold, even though he has access to a microwave, he works at a restaurant but has limited time to eat and often has to eat in stages if they are busy.  

I pack the lunches and try to make it easier for him by precutting the meat/veggies since that takes up time.  Lettuce wraps are a great substitute for sandwich.  The thermos is a great for hot foods, and a cooler to keep other things cold.

One of his favorite lunches is Buffalo shredded chicken over roasted zucchini with a little drizzle of homemade 'ranch' dressing.  I also pack him extra carrot sticks & guacamole, he takes nuts every day (even though I limit my intake he needs more convenient foods), he carries a compliant larabar for emergencies.  I definitely pack him larger portions.

I try and make a couple of different 'lunch' items on Sunday that he can rotate through a couple of days.

true story...a couple years ago, I was @ Disney's Animal Kingdom, lounging in the sun while watching the kids play in the t-rex playground/dig site.  I watched a guy pull up nearby, take a large tupperware mixing bowl with a lid out from the bottom of his kid's stroller, and literally eat soup right out of it with a spoon...I instantly assumed he was in on a Whole30 lol... if he's hungry, he'll make it work. I just wonder how the conversation went with the security guard @ the bag check

• 8 months later...

I know it's already been suggested but invest in a thermos.  It will make lunches so much easier.  I got one for my son's lunches a couple of years ago and now he is able to take leftovers to school.  It doesn't just have to be soups and stews.  My son will even take cut up meat on top of mashed potatoes or rice (we're still preparing for our Whole30 starting May 1st).  A good thermos was the best investment ever!

Archived