Can I have Marijuana

easipeasi

I know this is a touchy subject, and I know there must be a lot of people out there thinking this also.

I would usually use this as a muscle relaxant to ease some severe pain in my lower back from an accident years ago. I have medication and painkillers but nothing seems to help as much as weed itself. I have not experienced any pain since starting whole 30 until now, I think I'm at day 26.

In essence it is just like smoking cigarettes although this has a slight side effect. I would like to see everyone's point of view on this, the discussion would be very interesting.

I believe that this natural product when used sparingly like in my situation can be beneficial, what do you think?

I agree, that if it's gonna give you uncontrollable munchies it's probably best to avoid it if you can. Otherwise, if you can put it in a W30-compliant food so that you don't have to smoke it, I would think that it would be fine if you are experiencing pain. Or - if post W30 - just because you feel like it (my personal opinion).

My girlfriend pointed me towards this link a few weeks back which was helpful but no real in depth discussion.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/4141-medical-cannabis/

There are several alternative ways to get the effects of the drug apart from smoking it with tobacco, for example vaporizing the thc, or cooking with it. The link above highlights other factors that cannabis relieves like stress anxiety, helps with sleep, headaches etc.

I have decided to refrain from the substance until my whole 30 is finished but I do think that I will attempt using it again in the future. As an artist it also helps my creative process by increasing my level of focus. I believe that you someone can change their habits for example munchies could be alternated with some light exercise or yoga which requires focus, balance and determination, if this is unsuccessful swapping bad food choices with whole 30 compliant foods would be acceptable.

I have decided to remain on a strict paleo diet after my whole 30 experience, and hopefully start with my local crossfit in the coming weeks. I have never felt as fresh and as clean as I do at the moment, my stomach problems have disappeared, my skin has cleared up and I have lost a substantial amount of weight. I will try to re-introduce cannabis to my lifestyle and keep you posted on how this goes. I have a blog I have been using to keep track of my food intake etc... here is a link. Still very much a work in progress.

http://apaleoadaykeepsthedoctoraway.wordpress.com/

One of the biggest plusses of the Whole30 Program is that satiety signals are reset so you can eat until you're not hungry anymore instead of counting calories (assuming you are eating the correct foods.) Marijuana seems to cause a satiety signal mix up so I would say no... But am excited to see what Melissa has to say!

This is such a great question! I have breast cancer and from time to time use MJ for pain management because I really dislike synthetic meds. While I have not had the chronic pain yet during my Whole30, I am only at Day 13. I would imagine brewing the MJ with some green tea would be acceptable, but I would await Melissa's ruling on this. ;-)

I'm not really sure how to respond to this. First, as far as pain management goes for serious conditions, I am aware of the uses and benefits of marijuana. If this is something you've talked about with your doctor, I'd certainly support medical use. If you're taking your own pain management into your own hands, well, I can't really help you with that. Do I think 10% - 30% of marijuana users become addicted? The research shows that to be true. Do I think smoking anything (putting smoke into your lungs) makes you less healthy? I do. Do I think there are downstream effects of smoking/ingesting pot that may interfere with other healthy pursuits? Yep. Is it illegal? Still, yes (even in Washington, as far as the federal government is concerned).

But I can't really tell you what to do in this situation, as I don't understand your chronic pain, and how ingesting this substance might help. Would we ever say marijuana is okay during the Whole30? Hell no. But you're all grown-up people with your own unique contexts and full awareness of the consequences of your actions, and you are free to engage in whatever behaviors you feel are appropriate for your situation.

Best, Melissa

But Melissa, it's a VEGETABLE! Leafy greens! I bet it's excellent sauteed in coconut oil with a little nutmeg, coconut aminos and coconut milk. And pomegranate seeds of course. Everything is better with pomegranate seeds. Throw a handful into the crockpot when you are stewing the bone broth. Just like parsley, only better. Mix it in with the pico de gallo or mash it in guacamole...just like cilantro, only better. I bet it would be good in broccoli slaw too, or as a garnish for stir fry. Mixed in the salad......

TRUE story: Back in the day my parents grew their own and kept it in the fridge. My mom went to the hospital to have my baby sister and her mom stayed with us. She found the baggie of what she thought was oregano and cooked up a big delicious pot of spaghetti sauce. Yes she did. Used allll of it. And funny, I was a kid who didn't sleep, but I sure did sleep that night! Hahahahahaha!!!

I would think that as part of REALLY feeling/knowing/understanding how the Whole30 is affecting you, you should give it up for the 30 days. You may find that you have less chronic pain and need it less when you are eating cleaner. Just my 2 cents...

If your worried about the 'smoke' side of smoking weed, you could always try using a vaporiser, which cuts down the amount of smoke you ingest (while not taking away from the desired side effects) I'm not saying it's a healthy option, just that it's a lot less harsher on the lungs than say smoking it in a joint form.

The reason people get the 'munchies' when they smoke is because smoking weed causes your blood sugar levels to drop...So to combat munchies, having fruit available will bring your sugar levels back up...Obviously you don't want to be over consuming fruit, but if your eating the right things, your body will tell you when it's time to stop...You just have to be aware of this and actually listen to your body rather than mindlessly continuing to munch

Hopefully this helps in some way...I'm still extreamly interested to see what other people's opinions are on this topic

I'm pretty sure it makes you hungry because of a complex effect it has on leptin and cannabinoid receptors in the brain not a blood sugar drop. But I'm no scientist, just a whole30 moderator and have to say for the record, none of us advocate any type of drug use other than what's prescribed and monitored by your doctor.

i guess it's not a matter of wether or not to partake in drugs (that's an individual decision) But, what to do if you are decide that smoking weed is going help your chronic pain...Ways around all the side effects, while still enjoying the moment of painlessness it gives you?

i guess it's not a matter of wether or not to partake in drugs (that's an individual decision) But, what to do if you are decide that smoking weed is going help your chronic pain...Ways around all the side effects, while still enjoying the moment of painlessness it gives you?

Ayleenr - I think you're looking for something we can't give you with that question. If you're going to choose that as a pain management option, then you have to be willing to deal with the other affects on your body.

• 1 month later...

My question with marijuana is this. Are there any legitimate benefits to it as a natural plant in nature? If so, what? I'm asking this from a non-controversial, media, hype, point of view. All BS aside.... IMO it's considered a "Drug" because it's illegal, but it's still just a natural plant. Anything you intake is going to have an affect on your body in some way.

I was a recreational pot smoker for over 10 years in that ten years i smoked it in all the ways possible, out of soda cans, glass pipes, leaves, paper, made bongs out fruits (apples, oranges) you name it. Vaporized it, and now that I've gone to very moderate use, I mostly ingest it through food. I guess i never understood the "Pain management" part of it or even the stress relief etc since from my experience in some particular situations it can and will cause paranoia which can easily lead to anxiety and or stress.....

There's probably a better forum to discuss the legitimate homeopathic applications for marijuana than this one...

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but rather realistic. Most herbs/plants in nature have some sort of useful application...that's where most of the active ingredients in most of our drugs are derived from. We're not really qualified...nor is this forum really set up to talk about the majority of that stuff. It's pretty off topic within the constraints of the W30.

In regards to your personal experiences and how other people say they use it for X and Y, I'll just say that people are wired differently. Some folks are chronically understimulated enough that playing around with uppers sounds like a good idea, others are so high strung that depressants like pot can help them simmer down. Some people self-medicate with this stuff to try to balance out what's going on in their own heads.

(though i'm totally not advocating that...just offering that perspective)

• 2 years later...

Marijuana is a subject that is either accepted or demonized... I grew up in the 80's and remember by the 90's, the only anti-"drug" commercials were against MJ... I could be wrong, but I was a professional TV watcher back then... I NEVER saw commercials saying

"Don't snort cocaine"

"Injecting Heroin in your arm will leave marks that your teachers will see"

"Watch out for people with no teeth, they be on the garage drug, Meth"

"If your house needs cleaning right now, buy a bunch of speed... We have some now for 5 dollars and 99 cents now... wait don't answer, we have more we have 200 times that for a dollar 99 open the door and whizbang"

The simple fact is, MJ is EVIL because it helps MUCH BETTER than any RX drug can for ANY health condition there is, and that flat out ticks off the Big Pharma companies that can't patent it and their handlers at the FDA... More MJ equals less profits for them, even though they are multi billion dollar corporations... There is no medicinal use for any of the street drugs I mentioned...

The Pharma and Government people try Psychological Disinformation and Misinformation on people, claiming that MJ leads to other drugs and is addicting... Both are false

My background is in Psychology... I can rip apart everything the government says, and with the MJ debate, it is blatantly easy to figure out their roots... (Congress)... The members of the House and Senate that have no problem with MJ legalization aren't bought by the drug companies... They have NO reason to put people in prison for using MJ to heal their kids having seizures and kids with autism etc...

I have seen first hand how the Cannabis plant helps with Soldiers I was in combat with and Marines / Navy / Air Force service members that I know personally that have all kinds of conditions from Traumatic Brain Injury to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to all kinds of other ailments... A few without a limb...

Only a few of the service members I am talking about use MJ to get high, as in smoking or making brownies for the full THC effect... although that does accomplish the removal of pain... Most use a CBD spray or salve, like a version of Flex All 454, without the medicine smell... I know people using the spray or salve that can work regular jobs and play with the kids / grand kids with very few issues... CBD, for those that don't know, is a component of the cannabis plant that does the same thing as the THC, but doesn't make you high...

I apologize for getting on the soap box, but for people that haven't done any research and haven't looked behind the curtain, MJ is not the EVIL "drug" that Nancy Reagan created D.A.R.E. around...

It... Is... A... Plant  that has been a healer since the beginning of time, and like all healing herbs, wasn't put on this planet by mistake...

• Administrators

Do you realize this was inactive for about 3 years before a necro-revival?

It's alright, we don't mind people reviving old threads, saves us having to link to them to reference previous discussions.  :)

Archived