Dairy Woes :-(

Through the reintroductions, I've found that my system is now not happy with dairy.  I never had any noticeable issues with dairy before I did Whole30, but now it seems to upset my stomach.  Not terrible, by any means, but I notice it.  Dairy seems to make my stomach a little queasy, full-filling, and at times nauseous (I haven't noticed much lower intestinal issues from it - maybe a little gas, but that's it).  The thing that bothers me is that cheese and ice cream might be two of my most favorite things to eat, and I really wish I didn't feel like this now about dairy (I also don't want to have to deal with not eating foods cooked in butter at restaurants).  I'm cutting dairy down significantly already  (I've switched to almond milk and almond milk creamer and ditched my cottage cheese and yogurt habit), but I wonder if there's something I can do to help my stomach not feel so crappy if I do want to indulge in some cheese or ice cream once in awhile.  Any thoughts?  It seems there are a lot of people who have issues with dairy after Whole30.  It doesn't seem like I have a huge intolerance or anything, so I'm wondering if my body will just get used to it again if I opt to keep a small, but relatively consistent, amount in my diet.  Thanks for your input!

• Administrators

Read this post:  

It explains why we can feel crappy with foods that we didn't think bothered us. And yes, if you keep eating dairy, eventually you'll "get used to" feeling sort of crappy after you eat it.

@ladyshanny - Do you think certain types of dairy products (i.e. cheese vs. milk products) tend to have worse/different effects on some people?  It seems cheese does not agree with me, but milk products (like ice cream or gelato) don't bother my stomach quite as much.  There was also a mention in the thread you linked about trying things like goat cheese vs cow cheese.  The cheese I've had in the past couple of days was cow cheese, and probably heavily processed American, cheddar, or colby jack.  I also haven't tried cooking with regular butter yet (not that I ever feel like I need to cook with butter again, but it would be nice to not worry about it at a restaurant).

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, laurelerin22 said:

@ladyshanny - Do you think certain types of dairy products (i.e. cheese vs. milk products) tend to have worse/different effects on some people?  

Yep! You would want to do reintroductions on whey, lactose and casein. This article has an informative description of whey and casein. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/casein-dairy-protein-and-your-health/

If lactose and casein end up being problematic for you, you could try some milk-fat only products like sour cream, cream cheese, butter, cream, a "heritage-style" ice cream that actually uses cream and not a bunch of chemicals, etc and see how that goes.

Archived