Heartburn and Whole 30

Hi All, I am finishing day four of the whole 30. I have heartburn pretty bad and was taking 40 mg of omperzole daily. I did not do the stricter version of Whole 30 taking out nightshades and more because it was causing me food anxiety! (Ive limited my coffee to only one cup a day as well.) I've stopped taking my heartburn medication when I started and I just started having heartburn today. I'm debating taking it or pushing through. Was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and if they found heartburn relief in the regular Whole 30? Or do I need to expect this to come from the stricter version? 

• 1 month later...

I take the same medicine for my heartburn caused by my hiatal hernia. I stopped maybe a week into the program. Then I made one of the recipes from the book....beef brisket. It was sooo good that I had it for breakfast. After breakfast I immediately got horrible heartburn that lasted all day. I didn't eat until the next day. I've concluded that any fatty meat or acidic liquid like bone broth or coffee cannot be ingested on an empty stomach. But I would definitely take omperzole if you experience heartburn but really identify what you just ate. Even compliant foods can trigger heartburn if you are sensitive to them or your esophagus is inflamed. I stopped the omperzole after a couple of days and haven't had heartburn since.  And heck no don't give up potatoes unless you know they caused it!

• 2 weeks later...

If you've been taking omeprazole for more than 2 weeks, you're body has adapted by creating more acid secreting cells. This means that once you stop the omeprazole you can have what's called rebound heartburn. Normally the omeprazole blocks these acid secreting cells. The longer you take it, the more your body wants to get back to its regular state so it produces more acid secreting cells (proton pumps). The best way to get off of omeprazole is to first speak to your doctor and then follow a very slow weaning regimen. One of the most popular ways is to replace one dose per week of omeprazole with famotidine. Do this every week or every two weeks until you are only taking the famotidine. From there you can slowly wean off the famotidine. 

It's never a good idea to completely stop a medication without first speaking to your doctor or pharmacist as some medications can have dangerous effects from sudden discontinuation. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have GERD and am trying the whole30 but cannot eat anything citrus or acidic (tomatoes, peppers give me terrible heartburn) 

should I only do a GERD diet with low fat foods and lower carbs?  I find that carbs are causing my problem but fear I will get heartburn if I don't eat them.

I also take 40 mg protonix and have had ENDO done and diagnosed with chemical gastropathy.  which basically means I have a lot of acid and everything bothers it!

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Pams said:

I have GERD and am trying the whole30 but cannot eat anything citrus or acidic (tomatoes, peppers give me terrible heartburn) 

should I only do a GERD diet with low fat foods and lower carbs?  I find that carbs are causing my problem but fear I will get heartburn if I don't eat them.

I also take 40 mg protonix and have had ENDO done and diagnosed with chemical gastropathy.  which basically means I have a lot of acid and everything bothers it!

You should be able to do Whole30 well enough without citrus or tomatoes/peppers etc. I can't remember the last time I ate an orange and we don't cook w/ tomato because it bothers my husband's reflux. 

As for your question about doing "a GERD diet w/ low fat foods and low carbs", I'd have to say I have no idea. I don't know what a GERD diet is specifically or what it entails. Whole30 wants you eating protein, veggies, some fruits if you want them and good fats. You should be able to compose meals that include these things but that do not include the items that bother you. Whole30 is definitely not low fat and isn't really low carb although once you eliminate the grains and sugar, it does end up being lower carbohydrate than the standard american diet. Check out the meal template and see how to compose your meals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived