Hi All, I am finishing day four of the whole 30. I have heartburn pretty bad and was taking 40 mg of omperzole daily. I did not do the stricter version of Whole 30 taking out nightshades and more because it was causing me food anxiety! (Ive limited my coffee to only one cup a day as well.) I've stopped taking my heartburn medication when I started and I just started having heartburn today. I'm debating taking it or pushing through. Was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and if they found heartburn relief in the regular Whole 30? Or do I need to expect this to come from the stricter version? 

I take the same medicine for my heartburn caused by my hiatal hernia. I stopped maybe a week into the program. Then I made one of the recipes from the book....beef brisket. It was sooo good that I had it for breakfast. After breakfast I immediately got horrible heartburn that lasted all day. I didn't eat until the next day. I've concluded that any fatty meat or acidic liquid like bone broth or coffee cannot be ingested on an empty stomach. But I would definitely take omperzole if you experience heartburn but really identify what you just ate. Even compliant foods can trigger heartburn if you are sensitive to them or your esophagus is inflamed. I stopped the omperzole after a couple of days and haven't had heartburn since.  And heck no don't give up potatoes unless you know they caused it!

If you've been taking omeprazole for more than 2 weeks, you're body has adapted by creating more acid secreting cells. This means that once you stop the omeprazole you can have what's called rebound heartburn. Normally the omeprazole blocks these acid secreting cells. The longer you take it, the more your body wants to get back to its regular state so it produces more acid secreting cells (proton pumps). The best way to get off of omeprazole is to first speak to your doctor and then follow a very slow weaning regimen. One of the most popular ways is to replace one dose per week of omeprazole with famotidine. Do this every week or every two weeks until you are only taking the famotidine. From there you can slowly wean off the famotidine. 

It's never a good idea to completely stop a medication without first speaking to your doctor or pharmacist as some medications can have dangerous effects from sudden discontinuation.