Day 30 - Planning for Reintroduction starting tomorrow !!

SusanB

I can't believe that I really did it... but I did.   Today is Day 30 of my Whole 30 and I am pondering my options for Day 31 and beyond.   For some odd reason, this was relatively easy.   I have started a Whole 30 many times over the past couple of years and never stuck to it for more than a week.   So reaching Day 30 with absolutely no slips is a huge accomplishment.

As for changes,

I am sleeping incredibly well.  A solid 8 to 9 hours a night of good deep sleep.  

Digestive issues have mostly disappeared... although I do still have some lingering gas and bloating issues.   I'm hoping that more time doing a mostly Whole 30 will take the rest of that away.

My energy level is more consistent.   No more of the ups and downs, but I don't have as much energy as I had hoped for.  I haven't experienced "tiger blood" yet.   Part of that is due to the excessive heat and humidity we have been having this month.   It just drains the energy out of you as soon as you walk out the door.   I think the real change in energy won't show up until after the heat and humidity of summer has disappeared.     But I have found that I am more consistent in going to the gym most days - to walk, swim, stretch and do TRX.   So that is a huge benefit.  I want to go to the gym to do age-appropriate exercise (I'm in my early 70s.)   I know that I won't regain the energy levels that I had 20 years ago, so I am really really really happy to be looking forward to going to the gym every morning.

On to Re-Introduction:

What do I want to have on my re-introduction list?

Condiments:  mayo, ketchup, mustard, Good Seasons Zesty Italian salad dressing that I make myself with the Good Seasons dry packet of seasonings (it has a little sugar in it)

Dairy:  I know that I can't drink milk or eat ice cream (gas and bloating), but I'm hoping that butter and yogurt and sour cream will be okay once in a while.   I'm going to continue cooking with ghee and coconut oil, but it would be nice to be able to put a little pat of butter on my veggies.   And I have a couple of recipes that I like that call for sour cream, so being able to have a little of that would be good.

Legumes:  the only time that I eat beans is in my homemade chili.  All of the other ingredients are Whole 30.   I don't eat chili very often, but once in a while would be nice.  I haven't eaten chili in a couple of years, so I don't know who I will react to the beans.   Time will tell.

Rice:   I do miss having a bed of rice to put my shrimp scampi on... and other things.   My problem with rice is that it takes the place of eating a more nutritious carb like a sweet potato.   Rice is filling and is good for energy, but it has very few nutrients.    I know that I tolerate rice well, so it may be one of those things that I eat once in a while with .... say.... shrimp scampi.

Wheat:   Oddly, the only wheat that I am missing is pasta.   Not bread, not cake, not cookies..... no.... it's pasta.   I love a good pasta salad and a plate of spaghetti.   This will be the last thing that I try in my re-introduction process.

Sugar:  I have a huge Sugar Dragon problem and my Sugar Dragon has gone completely asleep during the past 30 days.   Yea !!!   I don't want to awaken it.   So... my goal is to stay sugar free except for the little bits of sugar in things like ketchup and the Good Seasons salad dressing packet.

Off to have a happy Day 30.....

Tuesday, July 18, 2017   - I started my re-introduction with white rice.   I had a mixture of sauteed veggies and ground beef over a bed of white rice for lunch and some shrimp scampi (just shrimp and chopped garlic cooked in ghee) over a bed of white rice for dinner.    I didn't notice any ill effects right away.

But now it is Wednesday, July 19th and I'm craving sugar.   I had stopped craving sugar half way through my Whole 30.   I don't know if it is being caused somehow by the white rice.... or just my mind knowing that I have completed the first phase of the Whole 30 so I could... theoretically... go to the store and get something sugary if I wanted to.

But.... I am committed to doing the Re-Introduction properly, so I will have to resist the lure of the Sugar Dragon......

Archived