August 7th Start Date

MarieC1978

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Karen L said:

So what's everyone doing this weekend?  What do others do to curb the cravings that aren't from hunger, but boredom,sadness,stress, etc?

I will be heading to New Jersey (from Brooklyn) to see my parents on Saturday, going to a birthday party at a bar in Brooklyn Saturday night, and then playing softball on Sunday. And getting in some meal planning/grocery shopping/prepping done whenever I can fit it in. The NJ part won't be an issue, because I can just pack a meal to eat while I'm on the road. The alcohol temptation will be great with the other two events though, especially since my softball team is known more for winning at partying than it is at winning at the game. But I haven't really missed it (or the fogginess or poor decisions it causes) yet, so I feel fairly confident that I'll be able to stay strong with my sparkling water and lime or lemon or something like that. About the eating from boredom/sadness/stress... this is actually my biggest problem, and it's why I'm here. I've found this first week that the extra effort of meal planning and grocery shopping and prepping and cooking all the time has literally left me with zero time for this, which is sort of good? It's a great side effect, anyway. So my suggestion would be to plan some more elaborate meals to keep you busy! Idle hands... At least that takes care of the boredom part. 

10 minutes ago, invinciblechar said:

So my suggestion would be to plan some more elaborate meals to keep you busy! Idle hands... At least that takes care of the boredom part. 

Great suggestion!!  I'll be a gourmet chef in no time.  Good luck with your weekend!  Part of my motivation is I don't want to undo what I've done so far.  I really want to see how my body starts acting once it resets itself completely.  I'm actually already noticing some digestion changes - for the better.  

Stopped at the grocery store salad bar for lunch... you have no idea I nearly grabbed something without think and then put it back.  Good lord, dairy (or grain) is in everything!  

No big plans this weekend, which is probably good.  Staying close to home, which will make it easier to stay on track.  And I'll have time to do some prep for the coming week.  I found a sheet of chicken marinades, so I think I'll be making up some of those.  And probably roast a bunch of veggies. 

Hi! I'm a newbie here, started my Whole30 on Aug 8th!! Day 4, and yes, right on schedule with the timeline. Ha! Just looking for support, as my husband is not doing this with me (except for the suppers), and I have my 2 year old daughter on board. Here goes 30 days to slaying my Sugar Dragon, hoping to lose weight (inches at least), and help my daughter with her allergy!

Here's to Day 5! I enjoy catching up with the group. I felt great all day and can tell my clothes are fitting better. I had the most awful time going to sleep last night. I've had a few nights like that as well. I read where eating some starch might help. Also, my husband has a very physically demanding job and he's struggling to keep up his energy. Poor guy. I'm going to give him more potatoes. Also, if you haven't tried Nutpods...they are amazing! I have the French vanilla. Yum! Have a great weekend, all!

On 8/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, Kdog777 said:

Its been a rough one today for me too. Not as bad as it could have been but, dang! I still really want to have that glass of merlot tonight. BUT, I'm staying strong and opting for a strawberry perrier. Not the same but, maybe if I pour it in a wine glass I can pretend, lol!! I'm about to get dinner ready and have my leftovers for breakfast. Grilled pork chops with some nice spices, mashed sweet potato puree, and some steamed asparagus. This way I can have some eggs for breakfast, some pork and asparagus all chopped up together. I may get crazy and add some tapatio to spice it up. 

Congrats to us all it may have been tough but, we survived Day 4!!!!! May Day 5 be easier??!!?? Fingers crossed!

Well here is Day 5!!! I'm not feeling so good. I'm totally drained and asking myself why am I doing this. Is this normal?? Its not a good feeling at all. I'm depressed and super antsy. I ate clean though. I haven't cheated but, really want to. OMG!!! I may skip dinner and go to bed tonight. I just want today over and pray that tomorrow will be better. Anyone else feel this hopeless?

8 hours ago, anchorageali said:

I'm also feeling grateful that I love black coffee! 

I hate you a little right now!  Just kidding. I don't hate black coffee. I just don't like it - yet. Last time it took about 3 weeks before it didn't bother me. I enjoy the smell and the way it makes me feel in the mornings to just relax into my day. I associate my coffe to a leisurely waking up. I am sure that is the one thing after W30 that I will need to constantly keep a reign on - only treating myself every once in a while or it will get out of control. 

6 hours ago, Karen L said:

So what's everyone doing this weekend?  Luckily, I'm staying VERY busy, which is better for me compliance-wise than having a lot of down time.  I tend to want to eat (and drink wine) when I'm watching tv, or not doing much of anything.  This first weekend I'll be away from home a lot so won't have that challenge.  Worried about future weekends, though.  What do others do to curb the cravings that aren't from hunger, but boredom,sadness,stress, etc?

This touches on something close to me...My name is Marie and I'm an emotional eater. Some people do not realize how hard it is to not pop something into my mouth every time I am nervous, upset, down, etc. I have an association with food that, to me, is completely based on mood. I also eat when bored. This has contributed to my weight gain over the years. I CLEAN when I feel the need to eat and I don't have anything else to do. I will clean closets, the garage, the floors, or whatever. I don't even tempt myself by chewing ice or brushing my teeth. I actually have to IGNORE my mouth - I know that sounds weird. 

10 hours ago, ItsAboutTime said:

Have you tried the "whole30 compliant" Nutpods with your coffee?  I love my coffee and these make it much better than just black coffee??  You can order on amazon (a 3 pack variety) for a decent cost.

I didn't last go round but I'm debating this time. Gonna give it a few more days then see how I feel. 

39 minutes ago, Kdog777 said:

Well here is Day 5!!! I'm not feeling so good. I'm totally drained and asking myself why am I doing this. Is this normal?? Its not a good feeling at all. I'm depressed and super antsy. I ate clean though. I haven't cheated but, really want to. OMG!!! I may skip dinner and go to bed tonight. I just want today over and pray that tomorrow will be better. Anyone else feel this hopeless?

You are doing fine. Are you still not smoking?  Making a radical change to your diet the same time you stop smoking is a huge deal. I tried it once and it was very difficult. I can only suggest, it WILL get better with time. Until then, try something new. Try changing your scenery, watching a funny movie, taking a walk.. just something to keep you busy. Give it through the weekend and see how you feel.  I'm rooting for you!!  (And try not to skip meals...you need the energy and your brain needs the energy.  You can do this!)

27 minutes ago, MarieC1978 said:

I CLEAN when I feel the need to eat and I don't have anything else to do. I will clean closets, the garage, the floors, or whatever. 

If you run out of things to clean, you can head over to my house!  Lol.  That's funny though. I actually made a list of projects I want to tackle. I need to keep myself busy too!

Thanks Karen! I needed that! I am making dinner now actually. I decided to leave the pity party, lol. I literally broke down and was crying. But, I let it out and said "tomorrow will be better". Even if its not I can pretend it is. Yes, I have not smoked in 5 days! It is so tough. But, I'm also thinking at least I can't drink either as that would make it worse. As we all know those who have smoked that they go hand in hand. Maybe a walk after dinner will be good too. I just need something to take the edge off and a little sweating may just do the trick. Thanks again for the support as sometimes it can feel lonely.

1 hour ago, Karen L said:

If you run out of things to clean, you can head over to my house!  Lol.  That's funny though. I actually made a list of projects I want to tackle. I need to keep myself busy too!

If we lived close we could do a cleaning party! My best friend growing up and I have been friends for 30 years!  We used to live around the corner from each other. Twice a month, we used to go to each other's houses and DEEP clean everything while the men cooked dinner and took care of the kids. It wasn't a girls night out, but the music was pumping and lots of laughs were had. The bonus was...we had clean houses and full bellies afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Kdog777 said:

Thanks Karen! I needed that! I am making dinner now actually. I decided to leave the pity party, lol. I literally broke down and was crying. But, I let it out and said "tomorrow will be better". Even if its not I can pretend it is. Yes, I have not smoked in 5 days! It is so tough. But, I'm also thinking at least I can't drink either as that would make it worse. As we all know those who have smoked that they go hand in hand. Maybe a walk after dinner will be good too. I just need something to take the edge off and a little sweating may just do the trick. Thanks again for the support as sometimes it can feel lonely.

I was thinking it might help to not be drinking. I have several friends that only smoke when they drink, though I certainly wouldn't go as far as to use the word "easier"!  You have undertaken a monumental life change this month. I can't even imagine - you are a rock star!!! Heck, I was swearing at a plate this morning with no smoking cessation involved!  You are an amazing, strong person!!

4 hours ago, Kdog777 said:

This is totally normal. Not sure if you are a tough love kinda person or if you need a more compassionate approach so here goes. 

Tough Love:  This is not hard. It may feel hard in your mind, but you control your mind so it isn't hard. 

Compassionate: I hope you feel better tomorrow. It's so hard to complete a W30 perfectly the first time through. And to quit smoking on top of that?!  

Truth:  W30 is taxing on the system (and the mind) the first couple of go rounds. You have done so much work to prepare and now your body and mind seem to be fighting the process. Push through because you got this!  We are here for you. We are rooting for you!  You are amazing!  Tomorrow will be better if only on the inside. Your body is healing itself. Much like a burn or cut healing, your body will hurt a little during the process. Let it heal in order to be the best version of you!  

I quit smoking a few years ago. I know it's hard!  I almost committed felonies left and right, but it got better a little every day. Just keep telling yourself "I am getting healthier and richer by quitting!"  Count every small victory and then focus on them instead of the bad. 

On 8/2/2017 at 9:27 AM, Brensuma said:

Thought I'd pop this up here for future reference. I know my last round I was a day off from all this (but everything still held true like clockwork). 

FB_IMG_1496339958377.jpg

Just going to repost again. Helps to see where I'm at (or close to). I'm once again having a problem eating breakfast (not hungry). So I force myself to eat a couple pieces of side pork, a spoonfull of potatoes and a couple nuts. I know, it's not enough. But I'm working on it. I also am back to not being able to sleep worth a crap. No energy, super tired but can't fall asleep. Getting about 5-6 hours  at least of sleep so better than nothing. Off to grocery shop! Have a great weekend!

I'm glad I've got you guys to stay accountable to, because you're helping me stay on track. Woke up this morning and really wanted toast for breakfast. With honey and PB (go big or go home, I guess, lol). I thought about cheating. But then I thought about you all... I had scrambled eggs, zucchini, and a strip of bacon. 

Doing some cleaning this morning and then taking this kids on a hike this afternoon. Have a great day, everyone!

2 hours ago, amandamay83 said:

I'm glad I've got you guys to stay accountable to, because you're helping me stay on track. Woke up this morning and really wanted toast for breakfast. With honey and PB (go big or go home, I guess, lol). I thought about cheating. But then I thought about you all... I had scrambled eggs, zucchini, and a strip of bacon. 

Doing some cleaning this morning and then taking this kids on a hike this afternoon. Have a great day, everyone!

@amandamay83 ack! Your auto correct has a dirty mouth! ;)

good for you for sticking to it!  I "cheated" last night while watching tv, but with some almonds and dates. Wasn't hungry, and also didn't eat as much as I would.  I know I have to keep myself busy to get through this..

2 minutes ago, Karen L said:

good for you for sticking to it!  I "cheated" last night while watching tv, but with some almonds and dates. Wasn't hungry, and also didn't eat as much as I would.  I know I have to keep myself busy to get through this..

Hahaha...that darn auto correct!!!

Hi everyone! As you know, I've just started my Whole30 on Tuesday, so I'm on Day 5 today.  First time doing this, and so far, I'm doing ok. I did have some questions.

Is anyone is using the Real Plans for their meal planning, etc.? I have my serving size set to "1", and I made a quiche with 7 eggs for breakfast! I made it on Tuesday, and just finished it today! Am I supposed to eat the whole serving?? That just seems like a lot of eggs, for example. I cook dinner for my family (me, my husband, and 2 year old), and it serves them too!

Also have some family trips planned (with my parents) to see some cousins coming up NEXT WEEK! How can I answer their questions (if they come up), so it doesn't become awkward? Other than being confident, of course. I mean, what do I say to questions like "What's wrong with bread?", "You make your own mayo?!", "What's wrong with... honey, milk, etc.", or simply... "What's the Whole30?"... without showing them the book?

Thank you, and so it's clear, I did scour all over the forum trying to find a place to post these questions, and couldn't find anyone who had asked the same. Maybe I wasn't using the correct search words? So, I didn't know what category to put them in. Maybe a moderator could help find a spot? Please? I can't find where to post on the Whole30 Facebook group either.... all of the pages I have liked seem to have recipes and that's it. :-( 

Also, going out with family tonight for ice cream-- for them, NOT ME. Life sure is throwing me a curve ball!! Happy Saturday!

1 hour ago, Karen L said:

Oh no!!! And I can't figure out how to edit a post on my phone!!! I'm so sorry, guys!!!

54 minutes ago, PenguinSews said:

Hi everyone! As you know, I've just started my Whole30 on Tuesday, so I'm on Day 5 today.  First time doing this, and so far, I'm doing ok. I did have some questions.

Is anyone is using the Real Plans for their meal planning, etc.? I have my serving size set to "1", and I made a quiche with 7 eggs for breakfast! I made it on Tuesday, and just finished it today! Am I supposed to eat the whole serving?? That just seems like a lot of eggs, for example. I cook dinner for my family (me, my husband, and 2 year old), and it serves them too!

Also have some family trips planned (with my parents) to see some cousins coming up NEXT WEEK! How can I answer their questions (if they come up), so it doesn't become awkward? Other than being confident, of course. I mean, what do I say to questions like "What's wrong with bread?", "You make your own mayo?!", "What's wrong with... honey, milk, etc.", or simply... "What's the Whole30?"... without showing them the book?

Thank you, and so it's clear, I did scour all over the forum trying to find a place to post these questions, and couldn't find anyone who had asked the same. Maybe I wasn't using the correct search words? So, I didn't know what category to put them in. Maybe a moderator could help find a spot? Please? I can't find where to post on the Whole30 Facebook group either.... all of the pages I have liked seem to have recipes and that's it. :-( 

Also, going out with family tonight for ice cream-- for them, NOT ME. Life sure is throwing me a curve ball!! Happy Saturday!

Two things have happened when I have been asked about W30. 

1st:  This scenario usually happens with family and friends. They ask "What's wrong with bread?"  My answer "Nothing. I'm just trying to figure out if I have a sensitivity to it because I am having digestive issues." They ask "You make your own mayo?" I answer  "OMG yes. It's really good and I can change the flavor easily for what kind of food I'm having."  They ask "What's the W30?" I answer  "I would be glad to share my book with you, but in general it is a way to figure out what foods my body is sensitive to and to change the way I think about the foods I eat."  Either they continue to ask questions and are interested or they drop the subject because they don't want to hear anymore. 

2nd: This usually happens with clients and co-workers. They ask a question and I answer them all with "I'd be glad to share my book with you. It has been really helpful to me. Is anyone else excited about college football in a few weeks?"  I always change the subject because 99.9% of the time they aren't really interested, but don't want to be rude by not asking. I let them off the hook by changing the subject. If someone seems really interested and keeps asking questions, I ask you (privately) if they are having issues. If the answer is yes, I let them know I will speak with them privately after our dinner/meeting/banquet/whatever. 

My best advice is to read the room. Some will genuinely be interested and some are just asking to judge or be polite. 

Archived